Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my last family car, a highlander hybrid had a msrp of $ 50,025 it was a 2010 highlander hybrid limited. it didnt even have all options checked (no rear DVD)

so I dont think the comparison is between a regualr outlander and the PHEV

its between a hybrid suv and the PHEV SUV

EvansvilleLeaf said:
I fear though that if the ratio between ICE and PHEV pricing is maintained in the US as it is in Belgium - over twice the price - I will be reluctantly dropping another option off my Leaf replaement possibles. Generally we've been able to roughly assume Euros = Dollars once US pricing is revealed, with some wiggle room of course. A 51-52K Outlander is dead in the water here to all but the most dedicated EV fans who will demand AWD at any cost. That's a $25k+ cost adder for the 30 mile AER battery!
You can't guess the US price by looking at EU prices. Can't even compare the relative price.

I expect about $40k to be the price.

evnow said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:
I fear though that if the ratio between ICE and PHEV pricing is maintained in the US as it is in Belgium - over twice the price - I will be reluctantly dropping another option off my Leaf replaement possibles. Generally we've been able to roughly assume Euros = Dollars once US pricing is revealed, with some wiggle room of course. A 51-52K Outlander is dead in the water here to all but the most dedicated EV fans who will demand AWD at any cost. That's a $25k+ cost adder for the 30 mile AER battery!
You can't guess the US price by looking at EU prices. Can't even compare the relative price.

I expect about $40k to be the price.

This one may be different but I certainly haven't seen a 25% difference before in EU to $ as 40k would suggest; have you?

EvansvilleLeaf said:
This one may be different but I certainly haven't seen a 25% difference before in EU to $ as 40k would suggest; have you?
Just see iMiEV & Leaf prices.

update : here is a news item from 2011. In US Leaf started about $32k ($25k after govt incentives).

Price in the Netherlands is €32,839 ($47,551 U.S.). Dutch buyers benefit from €6,000 to €19,000 Euros ($8,688 to $27,512) in tax savings over five years.
Price in Republic of Ireland is €29,995 ($43,433 U.S.) after government incentives.
Price in Portugal is €29,955 ($43,433 U.S.) after government incentives.

evnow said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:
Just see iMiEV & Leaf prices.

update : here is a news item from 2011. In US Leaf started about $32k ($25k after govt incentives).

Price in the Netherlands is €32,839 ($47,551 U.S.). Dutch buyers benefit from €6,000 to €19,000 Euros ($8,688 to $27,512) in tax savings over five years.
Price in Republic of Ireland is €29,995 ($43,433 U.S.) after government incentives.
Price in Portugal is €29,955 ($43,433 U.S.) after government incentives.

I think you're supporting his premise. Namely, the price in Euros is similar to the price in USD. In this case, the Leaf was 32k Euros and 32k USD. He was NOT implying that you use the exchange rate, but rather a 1:1 rate. I have seen that to be true as well with plug-ins.

"Automatic charging of auxiliary battery
To make up for power consumption due to Wi-Fi communication, automatic charging of the auxiliary battery from the driving battery is done as needed for up to 20 minutes at 2:00 PM once a day.
A buzzer in cabin sounds while the auxiliary battery is being charged."

Many EV's could learn from this.

This morning one was charging using the Mitsu EVSE. I like that it's able to make use of multiple power levels (are you reading this Nissan?)

Attachments

• Mitsu_EVSE.JPG
    Mitsu_EVSE.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 23
TomT said:
8 and 12 Amps is not much of an option...

GIBBER said:
This morning one was charging using the Mitsu EVSE. I like that it's able to make use of multiple power levels (are you reading this Nissan?)

Tom,
I agree, but the fact they provide an option out of the gate is a lesson for all MFGs to take note of. EVSEupgrade does a great job but I would prefer not spending the additional $280.

Chris.

Mitsubishi seems to have a good handle on all these issues we have discussed over and over

its a shame the dealer presence in the US is weak and that the PHEV will not make it here for 2 more years

thay have missed a chance to recapture an advantage and some attention in the US market.

you have to wonder if the dealers will make it 2 more years, I am sure some will die on the vine before a PHEV SUV launches in the US.

couldn't agree more. if the outlander PHEV were to be available when the Leaf lease is up in 2015, it would be a nice, fully functional SUV, much less expensive and more functional than the Tesla Model X. Mitsubishi is really missing out on a market in the US!

kmp647 said:
Mitsubishi seems to have a good handle on all these issues we have discussed over and over

its a shame the dealer presence in the US is weak and that the PHEV will not make it here for 2 more years

thay have missed a chance to recapture an advantage and some attention in the US market.

you have to wonder if the dealers will make it 2 more years, I am sure some will die on the vine before a PHEV SUV launches in the US.

They are also missing out on expensive lawsuits which Mitsubishi has already lost for millions.
Just one example:
http://www.foryourrights.com/11-million-seat-belt-case.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 - It's. FOUR million - not for million
2- That case references a 14 yr old car - regarding seatbelts - not hybrid design.

So ... what's the point

1 - It's. FOUR million - not for million

When I see poor English I'd like to correct, I try not to make the correction in poor English. And the phrase "for millions" (what was actually written) isn't actually incorrect if the sum was "FOUR million."

yep ... my dumb .
That said, the case site is/was 2 decades ago ... and what manufacturer hasn't been slapped down over the decades.
Boomer23 said:
That's an interesting one to watch for. With an EV range of 30 miles or so, and if its hybrid MPG is in the range of 45 to 50 mpg, our 2007 Prius can go on to a new owner.
EPA of the RX lexus & the highlander hybrid suv's (on the earlier/easier formula) was 30mpg. Now it's lower, under the new test formula. That said, I can't even imagine the outlander getting 15 mpg higher that Toyota hybrid suv's. The outlander is smaller, but with 30 miles of battery/weight, that's got to be a big drag on an suv.

GIBBER said:

2? multiple?

i might call this "additional" power levels

A couple of days back Mitsu announced they will further delay introducing Outlander PHEV to 2016. This time the excuse is that CA wants cars to show battery degradation information to drivers. Apparently it will take Mitsubishi one year to accomplish this.

http://insideevs.com/california-delays-mitsubishi-outlander-phevs-us-debut/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That means no plugin CUVs/SUVs will be available even in 2015 for us to replace our aging ICE. May be we'll be forced to get an ICE :shock:

Via GCR:

"Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-In Hybrid: Gas Mileage Drive Report"

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094331_mitsubishi-outlander-plug-in-hybrid-gas-mileage-drive-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back