Official Nissan recall letter for the Leaf A/C problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmydreams said:
I'm running the A software and my appointment for the update is tomorrow at 2pm. It'll be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference in the miles remaining display. ;)
I'm not so sure that number we're all looking at is the right firmware number after all. I just checked with my dealer, and they're absolutely certain they already did this update when I had the car in last week and asked about it. But I still show the A rev... So, perhaps that number isn't what we all think it is?

If they just called everyone's car in it would be a recall. By sending some engineers out it can be called a service campaign. Clever. ;)

Received an email from Nissan, regarding LEAF campaign. I read it only after I got a call from Nissan CS asking me to make an appointment with the dealer for this upgrade. I told the CS rep that I did one update about a week ago and would I still need to do it again? He didn't have an answer for that.
But I did call the dealer, who in turn called Nissan and confirmed that the upgrade i did last week was the same and I won't need any more upgrade at this time.
Just to recapitulate, I had never tried AC or pre-cooling but was asked by Nissan to do this upgrade anyway. I have used AC and pre-cool feature since then, with no problems. My version at present is "B". I don't know which version I had before the upgrade. I guess we would have to wait for other people to get the upgrade and come out with some more definitive answers.

GeekEV said:
gasmiser1 said:
I received the email from Nissan at 12:19pm today. My dealership-Boardwalk of Redwood City, CA said to allow 1 1/2-2 hours. They said that they will not be coming to offices or homes due to the volume of equipment needed to do this update :(
I smell BS. Nissan wouldn't have put that in their email if it weren't possible to do in the field...
---------------------------------------
Exactly my thoughts. I get to the bottom of this at the dealer on Monday with my appointment :shock:

Probably ought to be a poll: Are you going to have Nissan update the software in your car? I'm leaning toward saying no. Had the car for months, used A/C, haven't had a problem. Why bother. I have Rev A software, which doesn't seem to have the air conditioning problem anyway. What else might break if I get the new software? Best plan is probably to wait for D or E software. Might change my mind after we hit 105 degrees in May.

-Karl

sitting in the service dept at Santa Monica Nissan getting the update. Don't know what rev my software is. I'm listening to the service managers coming in selling this flush and that flush (pure profit, almost always never needed). One guy said "didn't we just do that last year? oh well let's do it." $250! I so don't miss those days! I wanna yell out to everyone in here, "buy electric!" :)

upDate: it's going to take longer than the promised time so they're going to send me off in a free rental. This is the first update for them. It's gonna be strange driving an ICE again!

malloryk said:
upDate: it's going to take longer than the promised time so they're going to send me off in a free rental. This is the first update for them. It's gonna be strange driving an ICE again!
Hope when all the order mess has been straightened out and Nissan LEAF Certified dealers get their demos, that they will also add at least one for service loaners. (As a dealer's LEAF service volume goes up slowly they can increase # of LEAF loaners as necessary.) :)

LEAFer said:
malloryk said:
Hope when all the order mess has been straightened out and Nissan LEAF Certified dealers get their demos, that they will also add at least one for service loaners. (As a dealer's LEAF service volume goes up slowly they can increase # of LEAF loaners as necessary.) :)

Let's hope. I'm in a Chevy Aveo. It's so loud! I don't know how people drive these things. ;) The guy at Hertz had all kinds of questions about the Leaf. They're going to start renting them at this particular location in Santa Monica and he said that they haven't figured out the charging yet. I would expect that they would install charging stations.

Just a word of caution to recent LEAF recipients: -

My LEAF arrived at my dealer (Rairdon of Auburn) on Wednesday, April 13.

My LEAF shipped to AZ on Friday, April 15.

My LEAF arrived in AZ on Sunday, April 17.

I checked with Nissan C/S and they cannot confirm the software upgrade was completed on my LEAF.
They suggest I bring the LEAF in to a Dealer to have the A/C Campaign Software Upgrade applied to my LEAF.

I really thought that any car leaving the port in my timeframe would have the fix applied, guess not.

Silverleaf, there is no way that C/S would be able to answer your question correctly. The fact that they don't know doesn't mean that the answer is unknown. I would recommend asking the dealer you purchased from.

Got my car back on my lunch break. It all seems fine (still need to figure out what rev. my software is), but whatever they did, drained my battery 3 bars. Left it there with 10 and had 7 when I picked it up. Odometer was the same so they didn't drive the car anywhere. And they didn't seem to plug it in at all while they had it, it was just sitting in the lot when I got there. :shock: I left a message for the service guy I dealt with that they need to plug these cars in when they're just sitting there, esp. when what they're doing is draining the bars. At least I don't have a lot of driving to do today.

malloryk said:
Got my car back on my lunch break. It all seems fine (still need to figure out what rev. my software is), but whatever they did, drained my battery 3 bars.
3 bars to do the update and the Leaf never moved? That certainly seems odd to me. Perhaps the Leaf did not lose that much energy but the update resets some of the calibration parameters and the Leaf needs a full charge to recalibrate. Just a thought.

Spies said:
malloryk said:
Got my car back on my lunch break. It all seems fine (still need to figure out what rev. my software is), but whatever they did, drained my battery 3 bars.
3 bars to do the update and the Leaf never moved? That certainly seems odd to me. Perhaps the Leaf did not lose that much energy but the update resets some of the calibration parameters and the Leaf needs a full charge to recalibrate. Just a thought.

Let's hope they plug mine in or I won't make it home!

malloryk said:
That update must have been a very "draining" experience for your poor little Leaf :mrgreen:

Stoaty said:
malloryk said:
That update must have been a very "draining" experience for your poor little Leaf :mrgreen:

seems like it, but she did get a car wash out of it. :) Or maybe spies is right, and it's just a calibration reset. I'm thinking that they had the car on with the A/C on full blast.

Does anyone who has had the update know what the part number is for the new software? I'd like to know if what I received 10 days ago is the latest and greatest. I haven't noticed any different behavior from my range-o-meter...

Thanks, Randy

3 bars is a lot. If each bar is 2 kWh, then 3 bars would be almost 6 kWh. I don't think A/C would use that much energy in a 90-minute upgrade.

Most likely it is the SOC re-calibration as Spies speculated.

malloryk said:
Got my car back on my lunch break. It all seems fine (still need to figure out what rev. my software is), but whatever they did, drained my battery 3 bars. Left it there with 10 and had 7 when I picked it up. Odometer was the same so they didn't drive the car anywhere. And they didn't seem to plug it in at all while they had it, it was just sitting in the lot when I got there. :shock: I left a message for the service guy I dealt with that they need to plug these cars in when they're just sitting there, esp. when what they're doing is draining the bars. At least I don't have a lot of driving to do today.
Hmm... I had 7 on drop-off and 7 on pickup. They drove the car 2 miles after doing the update, washed it, and it was good to go! On the service paperwork, how many miles does it state they drove it?

DarkStar said:
malloryk said:
Hmm... I had 7 on drop-off and 7 on pickup. They drove the car 2 miles after doing the update, washed it, and it was good to go! On the service paperwork, how many miles does it state they drove it?

they didn't drive it anywhere. Odometer was at the same mileage when I picked it up.

Back