Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
MrIanB said:
Got a test drive set up next Sunday 6/16/13 here in Austin, Texas for a Tesla. Can't wait to see how it stacks up against my Leaf and Volt for the price.

Ian B

great you can test drive the S in your home state...so which state are you buying it from? :?

At this point all sales are factory direct, so purchases are in california.

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
MrIanB said:
Got a test drive set up next Sunday 6/16/13 here in Austin, Texas for a Tesla. Can't wait to see how it stacks up against my Leaf and Volt for the price.

Ian B

great you can test drive the S in your home state...so which state are you buying it from? :?

At this point all sales are factory direct, so purchases are in california.
once the car is delivered why does it matter what state the actual transaction took place in?

Media alert: Today show doing a blurb on Tesla this morning... Erica hill and Lester holt already yukking in the teaser about whether it takes AA, AAA or D batteries.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Media alert: Today show doing a blurb on Tesla this morning... Erica hill and Lester holt already yukking in the teaser about whether it takes AA, AAA or D batteries.
the scary thing is that there are some people who depend on those types for their "news"

LTLFTcomposite said:
They're not far off. The batteries do look a lot like a hybrid between a AA and a D cell. Taller and less wide than a D, much fatter than a AA. ;-)

They're not this exact brand, but this is the form factor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JDRPXM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
They're not far off. The batteries do look a lot like a hybrid between a AA and a D cell. Taller and less wide than a D, much fatter than a AA. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JDRPXM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No words are needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaPHVcUdS8&feature=youtube_gdata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
GeekEV said:

No words are needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaPHVcUdS8&feature=youtube_gdata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hahaha, hilarious. Not accurate though, Model S has over 7,000 batteries in the pack, and there's no "cranking noise" involved. TSLA shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank, as are Model S owners, who are driving 200-250 miles between SuperChargers, Nissan only wishes they had a product to compete.

mitch672 said:
Hahaha, hilarious. Not accurate though, Model S has over 7,000 batteries in the pack, and there's no "cranking noise" involved. TSLA shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank, as are Model S owners, who are driving 200-250 miles between SuperChargers, Nissan only wishes they had a product to compete.
Yes, but the model S owners are laughing all the way to the bank where they have to withdraw a large sum of money for an expensive product that will likely depreciate fairly quickly. Not dissing Tesla or the model S, what they have done is awesome. It's just that they are targeting a different price segment than Nissan. We will know in 3-4 years what will happen when the two are in competition for a price segment that will likely be between the two.

Stoaty said:
Yes, but the model S owners are laughing all the way to the bank where they have to withdraw a large sum of money for an expensive product that will likely depreciate fairly quickly. Not dissing Tesla or the model S, what they have done is awesome. It's just that they are targeting a different price segment than Nissan. We will know in 3-4 years what will happen when the two are in competition for a price segment that will likely be between the two.
why does it have to be a battle between Nissan and Tesla? that kind of thinking is so simplistic and myopic!
why can't both and many more companies be successful selling EVs?
you will know when the EVs are mainstream when they are battling for customers like Ford and GM do currently

I asked a Tesla rep (while we were in Australia so I don't know how knowledgeable the rep was) if the 18,600 + batteries were sealed in their pack with an inert gas (e.g. nitrogen or argon). He said no that they were just sealed with regular air. My concern is that if there is any oxygen in the container would that cause some oxidation between the cells over time and lessen their output? I'm interested to know if that causes any problems in the future. If that doesn't cause a problem, I'm considering a Tesla as my next EV lease.

apvbguy said:
why does it have to be a battle between Nissan and Tesla? that kind of thinking is so simplistic and myopic!
Because they are the ones with a clear lead over other manufacturers.

Never said they couldn't.

you will know when the EVs are mainstream when they are battling for customers like Ford and GM do currently
I believe that is what I originally said--Nissan and Tesla will be the ones (initially) that are battling for customers in the same price segment.

We finally saw a Model S "in the flesh" for the first time today, parked in the Village area of Big Bear Lake. It was a grey P85, and every bit as nice looking as we've been led to believe!

Compared to the LEAF, it's of course centered quite low. We've been accustomed to driving the LEAF on dirt roads here and there and appreciate its clearance. Viewing the Model S in person helped steer our thinking more in favor of eventually acquiring a Model X with AWD. If we're going to spend big money on a vehicle (even used), we might as well get something with as few compromises as possible, and any 2WD vehicle represents a compromise (for us) given California's winter chain requirements for those without AWD.

Speaking of chains, that P85 had 21" wheels. Beautiful, but terribly impractical in the face of chain requirements.

ERG4ALL said:
I asked a Tesla rep (while we were in Australia so I don't know how knowledgeable the rep was) if the 18,600 + batteries were sealed in their pack with an inert gas (e.g. nitrogen or argon). He said no that they were just sealed with regular air. My concern is that if there is any oxygen in the container would that cause some oxidation between the cells over time and lessen their output? I'm interested to know if that causes any problems in the future. If that doesn't cause a problem, I'm considering a Tesla as my next EV lease.

You'll want to read this very interesting thread that discusses the Tesla battery packs and some of the patents that have been filed, etc. Very interesting....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17456-Amazing-Core-Tesla-Battery-IP-18650-Cell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abasile said:
Compared to the LEAF, it's of course centered quite low. We've been accustomed to driving the LEAF on dirt roads here and there and appreciate its clearance. Viewing the Model S in person helped steer our thinking more in favor of eventually acquiring a Model X with AWD.
Apparently you don't know that Tesla has already fixed that for you. Among its many other amazing features, you can raise or lower the Model S to gain the clearance you need or reduce its wind resistance. And, no, you don't have to crawl under the car and adjust the suspension. Just push a couple of buttons on the touchscreen.

Ray

planet4ever said:
abasile said:
Compared to the LEAF, it's of course centered quite low. We've been accustomed to driving the LEAF on dirt roads here and there and appreciate its clearance. Viewing the Model S in person helped steer our thinking more in favor of eventually acquiring a Model X with AWD.
Apparently you don't know that Tesla has already fixed that for you. Among its many other amazing features, you can raise or lower the Model S to gain the clearance you need or reduce its wind resistance. And, no, you don't have to crawl under the car and adjust the suspension. Just push a couple of buttons on the touchscreen.
I'm well aware of the air suspension option, but haven't (yet) found anything that indicates the maximum possible clearance. I've also read that the car automatically lowers itself upon reaching a certain speed, behavior that I would want to be able to disable at times. However, it may very well be that given the availability of AWD on the Model S, we would be satisfied not purchasing a Model X. After all, there are benefits to having a more aerodynamic vehicle with better range.

I think the raised suspension is geared more towards a temporary situation. You have to apply the brakes to raise it, and it does time out and lower itself in a short time...I think it is for driveways and stuff like that...

ERG4ALL said:
The connections to the cells are all welded, they are not in contact with anything conductive, and in addition they are made of stainless alloy that will not oxidize.

Here's some pictures of what the modules look like:

pic

Here you can see the bare 18650 laptop cells. They are interwoven with an aluminum channel (golden color) that carries coolant to each cell. Looks to me like a good 25% of each cell is in contact with this. (via way of a thermal pad and kapton electrical insulator)

pic

Very large buss bar interconnecting the modules made of thin laminated strips of copper, that way it's still flexible.

pic

This is the top of a module, each cell is connected to it's buss via a tiny single wire, which helps distribute current and acts like a fuse in the event of a cell fault.

pic

Close up of the cell connection detail.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
ERG4ALL said:
The connections to the cells are all welded, they are not in contact with anything conductive, and in addition they are made of stainless alloy that will not oxidize.

Here's some pictures of what the modules look like:
Here you can see the bare 18650 laptop cells. They are interwoven with an aluminum channel (golden color) that carries coolant to each cell. Looks to me like a good 25% of each cell is in contact with this. (via way of a thermal pad and kapton electrical insulator)
Very large buss bar interconnecting the modules made of thin laminated strips of copper, that way it's still flexible.
This is the top of a module, each cell is connected to it's buss via a tiny single wire, which helps distribute current and acts like a fuse in the event of a cell fault.
Close up of the cell connection detail.
-Phil
Here is a really cool related thread on:
"Amazing-Core-Tesla-Battery-IP-18650-Cell" 06-01-2013, 02:50 AM
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17456-Amazing-Core-Tesla-Battery-IP-18650-Cell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
apvbguy said:
Because they are the ones with a clear lead over other manufacturers.

Never said they couldn't.

I believe that is what I originally said--Nissan and Tesla will be the ones (initially) that are battling for customers in the same price segment.

The competition will be between EV's with the required range. To compete Nissan or any other EV player needs to match Tesla's range. People will pay more for the range, and a TMS to keep the batteries cool.

Back