Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TaylorSFGuy said:
Congrats. Your situation is much like mine. I am also underwater on my LEAF but don't want another one as a way out. Would like to get a Tesla with the big battery so I can use the heat and could afford a lot of capacity loss for my commute.

I like the configuration you chose as well. Have fun. If you are ever in Seattle's South End and see a dirty black LEAF with fogged up windows and a guy bundled up like an eskimo, it is likely me.
It is unfortunate that the BEV choices are so limited outside CA. Here in CA, we've got some current and upcoming compliance cars. The Rav4 EV would probably be perfect for you.

And, Toyota has been putting on big incentives that can be taken with 0% APR financing.

timhebb said:
ebill3 said:
A painful article to read; I was mentally cringing as things went from bad to worse to about as bad as they can get.

About the only good thing I can say about this account of a worst-case scenario with a Tesla model S is that it may distract some criticism from the LEAF by demonstrating that some of its battery issues are not unique.

Tesla must be experiencing a baptism of fire in the aftermath of this fiasco and its exposure in the NY Times. It will be interesting to see how Elon Musk and his engineering team respond to the challenge. The PR team must already be hoping the gathering storm in the northeast will help bury this story. Fox News will no doubt be happy to keep it in play, though.
It would appear that Tesla will need to space charge stations closer together in cold weather states. I recall seeing the national map of proposed station locations and laughed because it appears to show two locations in my state, Grand Junction (4586 feet) and Denver (5280 feet), which are 248 miles apart with a whole lot of mountains as well as Vail Pass (10,666 feet) and the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,158 feet) in between. The idea that you could get between those locations in a Model S at freeway speeds is ludicrous, even in mild weather. Just placing stations 200 miles apart on a national freeway network map overlooks the fact that some places aren't flat and can get cold and snowy.

But I presume that Tesla will learn these things as they move forward and get used to the idea that stations will need to be a lot closer together in many parts of the country if they really want their cars to be able to cross the country someday.

Not planning any big road trips yet. going for the biggest battery option was a direct response to owning the Leaf for two years. From our experience with the Leaf, I fully expect the worst case scenario of the 300 mile range 85kW battery to be 150 miles with bad whether, elevation gain, cold battery, defroster and heat use. I have also come to realize that the charging network consists of a bunch of slow chargers that are virtually useless and a small handful of fast chargers that are remarkably unreliable. To go completely electric, we decided to get a car that would require almost no public charging unless on a long trip. Also, in terms of battery life, we wanted a large enough pack that gradual capacity loss will not be a big deal and we can even keep it at a 50% SOC most of the time for extended life if we want and still have enough range to do our daily routines.

EdmondLeaf said:
Congrats, wonder if you planning cross country trip, or not sure where you will end up enjoying your new guilt free car

DaveinOlyWA said:
I for one was not tempted by a Tesla ever. its simply out of my price range and with new unexpected bills, a purchase of a LEAF is out of my price range as well. looks like i b a leaser for the time being.
so a Tesla would be awesome, but its only a pipe dream to me. it is now and forever out of my price range. but fear not. this will change and sooner than we think because there are longer range cars at a lower price that will be out soon. this is not speculation
Take heart Dave, there's a least one other Leafer at the opposite end of the country with Tesla envy now after (finally) seeing two model S's here in as many days, and you can bet a whole lot more in between.

After a year+ in the Leaf it's easy to become jaded and take it for granted. We have to make our peace with no longer having the most technologically advanced production car ever and settle for second or third place.

I never was a $40k car guy, more like a $20k guy that made an exception for a cause with the Leaf. $100k + wasn't going to happen for me, even living in a town where it seems like half the cars cost that much. Not that I couldn't afford it, but I value not having to eat cat food in retirement higher than always having the latest toy.

dgpcolorado said:
timhebb said:
ebill3 said:
SNIP

I recall seeing the national map of proposed station locations and laughed because it appears to show two locations in my state, Grand Junction (4586 feet) and Denver (5280 feet), which are 248 miles apart with a whole lot of mountains as well as Vail Pass (10,666 feet) and the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,158 feet) in between. The idea that you could get between those locations in a Model S at freeway speeds is ludicrous, even in mild weather. Just placing stations 200 miles apart on a national freeway network map overlooks the fact that some places aren't flat and can get cold and snowy.

But I presume that Tesla will learn these things as they move forward and get used to the idea that stations will need to be a lot closer together in many parts of the country if they really want their cars to be able to cross the country someday.

I'd expect them to eventually add one in somehwere between frisco and silverthorn. Just taking a model S 85kkw from the far side of denver up to vail and back would be pushing, climbing those mountains takes a lot of juice. Its 79kWh RT from boulder to Vail and back
(http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12595-Driving-my-Model-S-in-extreme-winter-conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and if traffic hits it could go higher (sitting with the heater), or if one is farther away then boulder, so either either overnight or needs a supercharger..

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I for one was not tempted by a Tesla ever. its simply out of my price range and with new unexpected bills, a purchase of a LEAF is out of my price range as well. looks like i b a leaser for the time being.
so a Tesla would be awesome, but its only a pipe dream to me. it is now and forever out of my price range. but fear not. this will change and sooner than we think because there are longer range cars at a lower price that will be out soon. this is not speculation
Take heart Dave, there's a least one other Leafer at the opposite end of the country with Tesla envy now after (finally) seeing two model S's here in as many days, and you can bet a whole lot more in between.

After a year+ in the Leaf it's easy to become jaded and take it for granted. We have to make our peace with no longer having the most technologically advanced production car ever and settle for second or third place.

I never was a $40k car guy, more like a $20k guy that made an exception for a cause with the Leaf. $100k + wasn't going to happen for me, even living in a town where it seems like half the cars cost that much. Not that I couldn't afford it, but I value not having to eat cat food in retirement higher than always having the latest toy.

well, I hope you leased yours because i think the temptation to trade up will become unbearable just about the time the initial leases start to expire

DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

well, I hope you leased yours because i think the temptation to trade up will become unbearable just about the time the initial leases start to expire

he actually said that to you, dave?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Indeed... looking at the model S pics again has me googling cat food recipes :lol:

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Indeed... looking at the model S pics again has me googling cat food recipes :lol:

No need to resort to eating Cat food, just use the equity in your house to pay for your Model S.
You do you have equity in your house I hope. Added benefit: the interest is tax deductable :)

mitch672 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

No need to resort to eating Cat food, just use the equity in your house to pay for your Model S.
You do you have equity in your house I hope. Added benefit: the interest is tax deductable :)

Spend $60,00-$100,000 of equity in your house to spend on a depreciating asset. Hmmm. Think I'll pass.

I supposed one can inherit a house and do this, perhaps... :eek:

Train said:
Spend $60,00-$100,000 of equity in your house to spend on a depreciating asset. Hmmm. Think I'll pass.

Your on my ignore list... But I displayed your "wisdom"' cause I was just so darn curious what jewel i was mising.. News flash: houses are depreciating assets as well, perhaps you missed, oh say the last 5 years since the 2008 housing bubble burst. There are no guarantees in life, live like there is no tommorow, if you don't, you'll miss many opportunities in life, like oh say driving an awesome car.
I'm enjoying my Tesla Model S, at a low interest rate, the interest is deductable as well. I'm paying double the minimum payment due, so the debt will be retired before the Model S will be anyway.
Last point: everyone can spend ther money any way they'd like. I probably have 10 times your net worth, my retirement is well secured multiple times, worry about yourself, sounds like you have some issues with money, sorry you haven't done as well in life and can't afford a Model S. oh yeah, I own multiple houses and commercial property as well (two of the three are income producing and more than cover my car payment, besides my job and savings. Money is so cheap now it doesn't make sense to pay cash, even if you can)

Don't bother replying, I won't read your response.

Mitch, I was joking of course, I probably won't miss any meals in retirement, but I suspect I'm not operating at your level. With or without getting a model S, the problem is knowing how much is enough to cover the gap between when the paychecks stop and the terminal cancer diagnosis (which couldn't come soon enough for some here). I have a hard time picturing the economy/equity markets/financial system making it through the next 5 years, let alone what could be 30 years without taking a big bite out me, so I want to have everything paid for.

I'm really glad there are folks who are successful enough to afford these cars without giving it a second thought, and am vigorously cheering them on from the sidelines!

Well, this thread sure has taken an ugly personal turn. Wealth flaunting by the fortunate and death wishes from the frugal.

mitch672 said:
I probably have 10 times your net worth...........
LTLFTcomposit said:
.............the terminal cancer diagnosis (which couldn't come soon enough for some here).
Come on guys, use PM's for such rot.

ebill3 said:
Come on guys, use PM's for such rot.

My reply was only directed at Train Wreck, he insists on sucking the goodness out of all things Tesla.

Edit: snippiness comment removed, but doesn't change my sentiment.
When Train Wreck removes his I'll remove mine.

mitch672 said:
Train said:

Your on my ignore list... But I displayed your "wisdom"' cause I was just so darn curious what jewel i was mising.. News flash: houses are depreciating assets as well, perhaps you missed, oh say the last 5 years since the 2008 housing bubble burst. There are no guarantees in life, live like there is no tommorow, if you don't, you'll miss many opportunities in life, like oh say driving an awesome car.
I'm enjoying my Tesla Model S, at a low interest rate, the interest is deductable as well. I'm paying double the minimum payment due, so the debt will be retired before the Model S will be anyway.
Last point: everyone can spend ther money any way they'd like. I probably have 10 times your net worth, my retirement is well secured multiple times, worry about yourself, sounds like you have some issues with money, sorry you haven't done as well in life and can't afford a Model S. oh yeah, I own multiple houses and commercial property as well (two of the three are income producing and more than cover my car payment, besides my job and savings. Money is so cheap now it doesn't make sense to pay cash, even if you can)

Don't bother replying, I won't read your response.

LOL, Ooooh, I'm on ignore. :D

So houses are depreciating and you want to borrow against that depeciation for...another depreciating asset. Yikes.

I'm offering my opinion to some who may be on the financial fence.

I wouldn't recommend cash, either. I would, however, as I'm suggesting to some, not use emotion to decide on whether to spend $100,000 on a car. If one is wondering if they can afford it, they can't.

If you need to affirm your own wealth, have at it. I could use the chuckle.

mitch672 said:
Edit: snippiness comment removed, but doesn't change my sentiment.
Shucks, you didn't have to do that. Calling me a "poor slob" said so little about me, and so much about you.

Back