Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
DeaneG said:
... Will the X be shorter?
I don't see any published specs, but I imagine they're the same or close...
I'm guessing the same - probably limited by the battery pack outline. I'd settle for a Rav4 after the Leaf, but wish a Tesla S would fit. I've measured one twice now and both times it was too big. ;)

DeaneG said:
GeekEV said:
DeaneG said:
... Will the X be shorter?
I don't see any published specs, but I imagine they're the same or close...
I'm guessing the same - probably limited by the battery pack outline. I'd settle for a Rav4 after the Leaf, but wish a Tesla S would fit. I've measured one twice now and both times it was too big. ;)

The Model S and the Model X use the same platform, so they'll be virtually identical in size.
They are not "too big", perhaps your garage is "too small" :), a problem that can be rectified with demolition and construction or moving.

We are a family of four with frequent out of town guests. The S replaces our hybrid highlander. If anything it is a little on the small side, but we are adjusting. both my wife and I are 6'3" and have very much enjoyed the extra headroom of the highlander but the so many wow factors of the S are easily making up for feeling a bit more scrunched. The S on the other hand has essentially the same capacity in terms of being able to fit 7, which is kind of amazing looking at the S from the outside, the third row jump seats are a marvel of engineering! The S has practically as much storage capacity as the highlander. it's size was critical to us, to be able to replace an SUV.

abasile said:
drees said:
After all - look at Herm - he's probably the least liked poster around
At current energy densities, 85 kWh might be too much battery for a LEAF-sized vehicle. I agree with the sentiment, though. Many of us are satisfied with the LEAF's size, features, and performance - we just want it to have more range and less heat-related battery degradation.

I agree. I have though a lot about battery size when driving my Leaf long distances and doing a lot of QCs, and I think the sweet spot for a larger battery option in the Leaf would be around 40kWh. Not too much more expensive, but a lot more flexibility with both range and faster quick charging.

40kWh is doable withing the currect battery confines with higher density cells.

mitch672 said:
...They are not "too big", perhaps your garage is "too small" :), a problem that can be rectified with demolition and construction or moving.
700 sq feet, should be big enough, but space is taken up at the front by tool cabinets, media system, etc. San Francisco parking remains an unsolved problem for long cars like the S.

OK. Pick up green 85 kWh at the future home of the Bellevue WA service center - Sunday 2/17. A week past my last projected delivery date, but 5 or 6 months before the initial expected date. :D

ebill3 said:
OK. Pick up green 85 kWh at the future home of the Bellevue WA service center - Sunday 2/17. A week past my last projected delivery date, but 5 or 6 months before the initial expected date. :D
Congrats! I'm jealous...

ebill3 said:

Congrats, Bill. Looking forward to your review shortly.

Still don't have the stomach to pay 3x what i paid for the Leaf. It appears that the waiting list for the Tesla will disappear even sooner than when the Leaf was first introduced. Tesla could then embrace the Amazon shopping experience. Configuring to delivery in less than a week.

pjoseph said:
Still don't have the stomach to pay 3x what i paid for the Leaf. It appears that the waiting list for the Tesla will disappear even sooner than when the Leaf was first introduced.

There is nothing to indicate this. US reservations so far in February runs at close to 40 per day, EU reservations around 30 per day. This is above production rate.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this, but Tesla has apparently made something akin to a range chart available. Not only that, the chart seems to imply the following range loss figures: 7% after 4.5 years and 16% after 9.5 years.

modelsrangechart
teslamnl

surfingslovak said:
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this, but Tesla has apparently made something akin to a range chart available. Not only that, the chart seems to imply the following range loss figures: 7% after 4.5 years and 16% after 9.5 years.
More details in this PDF/footnotes.
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/Model-S-range-Tables.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since Europe came up earlier in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=261928#p261928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, some more bad news came out about Europe today.

Euro-Area Economy Shrinks Most Since Depths of Recession:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-14/euro-area-economy-shrinks-most-since-depths-of-recession.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both Germany's and France's GDP fell... this is unlike us where we haven't felt our economy's been very good but we're actually in most/all recent quarters not contracting, just having tiny growth.

jkirkebo said:
pjoseph said:
Still don't have the stomach to pay 3x what i paid for the Leaf. It appears that the waiting list for the Tesla will disappear even sooner than when the Leaf was first introduced.

There is nothing to indicate this. US reservations so far in February runs at close to 40 per day, EU reservations around 30 per day. This is above production rate.

Do you have a source for your numbers? Or do you work for Tesla marketing?

i found 44 cars per day (31 in the US + 13 in Europe) on the Tesla boards.

The real question is how many of those reservations will translate to actual orders. This is likely why folks are getting their cars months ahead of schedule. Has anyone in Europe got any money left? :mrgreen:

The car is lovely though. Especially for us early Leaf-ers.

pjoseph said:
jkirkebo said:
pjoseph said:
Do you have a source for your numbers? Or do you work for Tesla marketing?

i found 44 cars per day (31 in the US + 13 in Europe) on the Tesla boards.

The real question is how many of those reservations will translate to actual orders. This is likely why folks are getting their cars months ahead of schedule. Has anyone in Europe got any money left? :mrgreen:

The car is lovely though. Especially for us early Leaf-ers.

Tesla only recently started building the 60KW pack version.

They are still not building cars with the following in the orders:

Any 40K models
Anything ordered with the new "Sunset Red" paint
Anything ordered with " Standard Suspension" (only air suspension availble currently)

Those three conditions can account for why many cars are being skipped for now, and newer orders that don't contain those elements are being built first...

All very good points that i overlooked. Thanks..

Also, Central banks worldwide are keeping the spigots wide open (making my earlier point moot). This ought to be good for anyone close to the capital markets (think hedge fund managers). Although those folks generally have traits that are diametrically opposite to that an EV-owner. That leaves the doctors and engineers :D

mitch672 said:
Tesla only recently started building the 60KW pack version.

They are still not building cars with the following in the orders:

Any 40K models
Anything ordered with the new "Sunset Red" paint
Anything ordered with " Standard Suspension" (only air suspension availble currently)

Those three conditions can account for why many cars are being skipped for now, and newer orders that don't contain those elements are being built first...

scottf200 said:
surfingslovak said:
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/Model-S-range-Tables.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think that was done by Tesla, but very helpful for potential future owners and journalists.

TonyWilliams said:
scottf200 said:
surfingslovak said:

I don't think that was done by Tesla, but very helpful for potential future owners and journalists.
Agree - the way the notes are phrased indicates a writer outside of Tesla using available Tesla data.

ebill3 said:
Agree - the way the notes are phrased indicates a writer outside of Tesla using available Tesla data.
Ah, that would make so much more sense. It appears that the table assumes 1.68% annual capacity loss. Linear decline is highly unlikely. It's not going to happen, not even with Tesla battery packs.

Raffle for a Model S for $100. Need to be WA resident to enter. Last day to enter is tomorrow.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/tesla-s-selected-car-high-school-raffle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the email with Phil:

"... Sure you can enter. You can purchase tickets by making out a check to Garfield PTSA Raffle and send to me at the address below.
Please include your email address, phone number, and a self-addressed envelope in which we can send the ticket stub. Or you can call me at the # below for a credit card transaction. Tell your friends and colleagues--we need to sell more tickets

Phil Sherburne, 2369 Fairview Ave E, Slip #1, Seattle, WA. 98102.
Phone 206.355.0834
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:46:53 -0800
Subject: Electric car raffle
To: [email protected] ..."

Tesla Releases Driving Logs Contradicting NYT’s Scathing Review of Model S

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/tesla-logs-nytimes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting.

EVs have enough real issues without reporter like this.

Back