Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebill3 said:
evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
So what's the big announcement on Thursday?
Rumored to be coast-to-coast charging network.
Well, then it will not be availability of a CHAdeMO adapter, but that would be nice.
Maybe it's a strategic partnership with Nissan to standardize the L3 charging format with a field upgrade and offer a 40kWh thermal managed pack option for the LEAF.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Maybe it's a strategic partnership with Nissan to standardize the L3 charging format with a field upgrade and offer a 40kWh thermal managed pack option for the LEAF.
Yes - and next we will see a conference announcing the merger of iOS with Android :lol:

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
So what's the big announcement on Thursday?
Rumored to be coast-to-coast charging network.
On a related note:
Someone overlayed a couple maps to shows where the chargers *may*be*. (Rumor+ on the IL Champain/Urbana one is that it will really be in Bloomgington, for example)

Original thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15124-(BIG-JPG)-Supercharger-overlay-map?p=302175

Larger image with overlays link: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18865&d=1364113728
This picture below is not the one with multiple maps overlaid but gives you and idea. Putting the above image in-line resulted in it being fullsize vs auto-reduced for forum post. Click on immediate above link.
8044375258_3503e4ac58_z.jpg

So last night I was cooking dinner when my wife called me after her yoga class, as she was coming home she found a car in her Volts charging spot, she told me she had been iced, at home no less. I quickly hung up and began to make a rude sign. Immediatly she called me back and said that there was a brand new white Tesla Model S not only parked in her charging spot but using our charger. I immediatly stoped making my rude sign and ran out to the parking lot. Upon finding the new happy owner sporting his Tesla jacket I told him "you can use my electricity if I can get a ride!" He had just driven the 250 plus miles from Portland Oregon so his battery was all but dead and he needed all night to recharge. My leaf was full so we just repluged him into the leaf charger. So today I get my first ride, sweet!!

mortisier said:
So last night I was cooking dinner when my wife called me after her yoga class, as she was coming home she found a car in her Volts charging spot, she told me she had been iced, at home no less. I quickly hung up and began to make a rude sign. Immediatly she called me back and said that there was a brand new white Tesla Model S not only parked in her charging spot but using our charger. I immediatly stoped making my rude sign and ran out to the parking lot. Upon finding the new happy owner sporting his Tesla jacket I told him "you can use my electricity if I can get a ride!" He had just driven the 250 plus miles from Portland Oregon so his battery was all but dead and he needed all night to recharge. My leaf was full so we just repluged him into the leaf charger. So today I get my first ride, sweet!!
I take it you live in an apartment or condo? Are these shared parking spots? :D

GeekEV said:
mortisier said:
I take it you live in an apartment or condo? Are these shared parking spots? :D
We live on our schooner In a public marina. The managment was cool enough to let us instal
A metered power post with level 1 outlets and eventually I may install level 2 charging capability. Untill the appearance of this tesla level 1 has been all that is nessesary!

Doubt it. How is that "putting my money where my mouth is"? Beside, that's been known to be coming for a while now no?

KJD said:
What is the status on the 40 kwh version ?

I believe in the last quarterly conference call they said late summer for the roll out of the 40kWh packs.
Have to check the call transcript to be sure.

Zythryn said:
KJD said:
What is the status on the 40 kwh version ?
I believe in the last quarterly conference call they said late summer for the roll out of the 40kWh packs.
Have to check the call transcript to be sure.
Zythryn, Thanks for the info. Late summer might be just about right for me.

Zythryn said:
Nissan had better be on the ball and have a 40 kWh pack for the 2014 Leaf (this Fall) or there may be some 2011/2012 leasers who jump ship for the longer range.

Reddy said:
Zythryn said:
Nissan had better be on the ball and have a 40 kWh pack for the 2014 Leaf (this Fall) or there may be some 2011/2012 leasers who jump ship for the longer range.
Interesting point on the timing. 160 miles is pretty good at 55MPH. Looks like on the highway in nice weather (read CA) you can go well over 100 at 75MPH. I think Tony is getting that in the RAV4 (41.8 kWh).

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10ZdR.jpeg

Indeed 40kWh is an interesting capability level. That should enable a solid 120 miles at highway speeds, covering all but the longest commutes and eliminating daily range anxiety for most. For moderate length road trips that's a couple hours of driving, a point where many might be inclined to take a break anyway so a 200 mile trip looks quite doable with just one stop (unlike the current leaf where it's a project undertaken only by diehards).

Reddy said:
Zythryn said:
If Nissan really cared about the EV market they would build a 36 kWh pack next. Offer current LEAF owners like me a nice upgrade, but they could still price it less than the base Tesla.

Nissan should NOT go toe to toe with Tesla by offering a car with same battery pack size, as Nissan would loose that battle. They could win by working the market segment just slightly less costly than base model S.

Such a development would depend entirely on higher energy density in the pack since there isn't room in the design (in the LEAF) for more volume of batteries, right? I know that is being very seriously pursued, but a jump from 24 to 36 or 40 is pretty big.

KJWL said:
Such a development would depend entirely on higher energy density in the pack since there isn't room in the design (in the LEAF) for more volume of batteries, right? I know that is being very seriously pursued, but a jump from 24 to 36 or 40 is pretty big.
The LEAF design is 3 years old already, I am sure that they are all ready working on the next gen LEAF design. I think 36 kwh would be a fairly easy change from 24.

Nissan needs to do something pretty dang quick, just look how many LEAF owners have already bought the 60 or 85 Teslas. I read somewhere else that the average Tesla selling price was about 80k. Is that correct ?

KJD said:
I read somewhere else that the average Tesla selling price was about 80k. Is that correct ?
That's right about where mine fell, so I could believe that. I've never stretched that far for a car before, but so far don't regret it one bit.

KJD said:
KJWL said:
The LEAF design is 3 years old already, I am sure that they are all ready working on the next gen LEAF design. I think 36 kwh would be a fairly easy change from 24.

Nissan needs to do something pretty dang quick, just look how many LEAF owners have already bought the 60 or 85 Teslas. I read somewhere else that the average Tesla selling price was about 80k. Is that correct ?

Hi Kyle! Yes, designer (or would it be engineer) types could certainly cram a few more in there, I suppose. Wouldn't it be better to go for density tho? Size and weight.
Also as the Model Ss to date (til recently) have all been the "signatures", performance 85s, air suspension, etc. I'd say $80k is on the low side of the average, so far.
It seemed to me like Nissan's best market for the leaf was Prius owners, Tesla will poach people (like me, for example :mrgreen: ) from Nissan. I want an AWD Model X. ML

Back