On Ramps with Clean Air Stickers ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPowerIsIxE

Anyone know if we are authorized to use the HOV "on ramp" lanes with the cool clean air stickers? Can't seem to find a citation in the DMV code to cover this.

I'd don't have any references to back it up, but I say yes. Those are labeled as HOV lanes too and use the same <> indicator. The stickers say "<> Access OK", so it had better be. I've always used them with the yellow stickers on my Prius... :lol:

GeekEV said:
I'd don't have any references to back it up, but I say yes. Those are labeled as HOV lanes too and use the same <> indicator. The stickers say "<> Access OK", so it had better be. I've always used them with the yellow stickers on my Prius... :lol:

i always used the carpool onramps in my stickered prius and never had a problem.

having said that, at the top of the onramp to eastbound 237 at great america, i once saw a prius with stickers pulled over by a CHP, but i don't know what happened. he may have gotten nailed for driving in the shoulder; the carpool section of the onramp only starts about 1/2 way up the ramp and non-carpoolers always block both lanes until finally having to merge into the non-carpool lane. many carpoolers get impatient and drive in the shoulder a bit to get around the blockage.

The DMV website makes a reference to it in Vehicle code 21655.9...

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655_9.htm

[snip] 21655.9. (a) (1) Whenever the Department of Transportation or a local authority authorizes or permits exclusive or preferential use of highway lanes or highway access ramps for high-occupancy vehicles pursuant to Section 21655.5, the use of those lanes or ramps shall also be extended to vehicles that are issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5 regardless of vehicle occupancy or ownership.

and the link to the code (which says the same thing) - for the record, I've used my prius stickers on on-ramps and gone by CHPies checking occupants in the diamond lane. There are also other things to be aware of so check your local jurisdiction. (For instance, when I-15 Fastrak in San Diego displays 'HOV Only', it only excludes solo-occupant paying folks supposedly http://fastrak.511sd.com/GettingStarted.aspx#HOVONLY )

http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=01966510825+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

btw, http://leginfo.ca.gov/ is a great resource for California Law. Click on California Law, check the Vehicle code box and search for easy access to the current/amended verbiage.

Welcome to South Bay Expressway!
FASTRAK CUSTOMER AGREEMENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please review this License Agreement carefully. Must be 18 years or older to open an account. By signing the Application, clicking the online acceptance box, or using your FasTrak® Transponder, you agree to the following terms and conditions.

GENERAL

This Application and Agreement (“Agreement”) with the San Diego Association of Governments (“SANDAG,” “we,” “our,” or “us”), together with any supplements, allows the person named and his or her agents (“you” or “your) to use SOUTH BAY EXPRESSWAY and pay tolls and other charges using a South Bay Expressway (SBX) FasTrak® Transponder. Your submittal of an application constitutes your acknowledgement and consent to this Agreement. This Agreement confers only a license; Transponders and all other rights remain the property of SANDAG.

You agree to:
a) Pay all tolls, penalties, and fees charged to your SBX Account (“Account”).
b) Refrain from using your Transponder to access any FasTrak® toll facility, such as the I-15 Express Lanes when it is in an “HOV Only” status. When this message is displayed on a variable toll messaging sign, only high-occupancy vehicles, such as vehicles with two or more persons, vehicles with valid Clean Air Vehicle Stickers, :D buses and motorcycles, can use the facility.

:roll:
LeafPowerIsIxE said:
Anyone know if we are authorized to use the HOV "on ramp" lanes with the cool clean air stickers? Can't seem to find a citation in the DMV code to cover this.

Standard ones...yes. Have even had a CHP motorcycle cop go to mount up, thinking he'd caught a fish, only to step back down once he saw my decals.

Thanks for all of the info in this posting ! It also might be added that if you drive the (Southern California) 91 freeway, if you have the Clean Air Vehicle White Stickers, you can drive the toll lanes for Free, yes Free but you need to apply for this privilege with the Toll Roads.

S

Sondy132001 said:
Thanks for all of the info in this posting ! It also might be added that if you drive the (Southern California) 91 freeway, if you have the Clean Air Vehicle White Stickers, you can drive the toll lanes for Free, yes Free but you need to apply for this privilege with the Toll Roads.

It's free, with one notable exception as per https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp :

*Except M-F, eastbound, between 4-6pm when a 50% discount is applied.

Up until recently, they did not issue a 3 position transponder like Metro, so at the toll plaza they created a special lane for 3+ carpools and other exempt vehicles like motorcycles in order to get the proper discount, just like the way the Bay Area bridges do it for carpools. There is a person (probably a CHP officer) monitoring that lane for compliance. I don't know why they just don't have EVs use that lane as well.

RonDawg said:
Sondy132001 said:

It's free, with one notable exception as per https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp :

*Except M-F, eastbound, between 4-6pm when a 50% discount is applied.

Up until recently, they did not issue a 3 position transponder like Metro, so at the toll plaza they created a special lane for 3+ carpools and other exempt vehicles like motorcycles in order to get the proper discount, just like the way the Bay Area bridges do it for carpools. There is a person (probably a CHP officer) monitoring that lane for compliance. I don't know why they just don't have EVs use that lane as well.

Thanks for the clarification ! ;)

Back