One-year/15 k miles service -$203 at Fremont, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my Leaf for a year, 9k miles and I've been to dealership at least 6 times now for repairs, updates and battery check, but never was charged for anything. I did rotate tires for free once at Discount Tire. If you purchased your tires from them, they seem to give you a lifetime of free tire rotations for any of your cars. Cabin filter is probably next for me to replace, but I'll do it myself as well. Really loving maintenance free EV! :D

I just got my 12 mo service done at 11.5k miles at Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa, CA. No charge though they suggested brake fluid replacement and cabin filter. I declined, no pressure. I also declined tire rotation since it had been done at 6 months, front tires looked better than the rears at this time.

IBELEAF said:
I had my Leaf for a year, 9k miles and I've been to dealership at least 6 times now for repairs, updates and battery check, but never was charged for anything.
Wow, six times? I've been putting off my "trip" (the Nissan dealer is literally across the street from me!) for my update to coincide with a tire rotation or something. So I haven't been back since I bought the car. What kind of repairs have you been in for?

i have an appointment for the battery check.
they say it is free at Power Nissan in Hawthorne.

But they want to charge $76 for tire rotation, balancing and to check and fill all reservoirs.
also torque duh nuts.

I am torn between say ing it is a rip, and thinking it is a good thing to get all that stuff checked after a year.
They did rotate the tires at 6 months for $25.

'cause I know the service guy, he is getting me a loaner gratis.

nissan says that I need all this:

It's been about a year since you took delivery of your Nissan LEAF. That's a lot of time exploring what life is like behind the wheel of a 100% electric vehicle. It's also time to head to your Nissan dealer for your 12-Month service visit. While minimal maintenance is one of the best reasons for owning a Nissan LEAF, there are a few essential maintenance services that should be completed to make sure your vehicle offers optimal performance, safety and reliability.

In addition to a complete inspection, GARDENA NISSAN will run a diagnostic check on your EV battery and provide you with an EV Battery Usage Report. This is an essential warranty requirement for your EV battery. It's the single most important maintenance service on your Nissan LEAF and is provided to you at no charge.

Come in for your 12-Month
service and GARDENA NISSAN will:

Provide a comprehensive complimentary EV
Battery Usage Report
Replace brake fluid
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Rotate tires

Inspect the following:

Axle and suspension
Brake lines and cables
Brake pads and rotors
Charging port
Drive shaft boots
Front suspension ball joints
Reduction gear oil
Steering gear and linkage
Steering linkage ball joints

Dealer says the cabin air filter and brake fluid change are unnecessary in my instance. next year is good.

thankyouOB said:
But they want to charge $76 for tire rotation, balancing and to check and fill all reservoirs.
also torque duh nuts.

Its not a rip since you are not forced to do it.. make a counteroffer you consider appropriate.

Provide a comprehensive complimentary EV
Battery Usage Report
Replace brake fluid
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Rotate tires

This is the standard "cut the maintenance interval in half, so that your wallet can be lightened" that dealers use to increase their profits.

Of the maintenance items listed above, here is the correct maintenance interval:

- Battery Usage Report - every 15K miles
- Replace brake fluid - every THREE years regardless of milage
- Replace in-cabin microfilter - every 15K miles
- Rotate tires - every 7.5K miles

All of the "Inspect this or that" is just window dressing.

If you haven't met the mileage threshold for these items, then wait until you have crossed the threshold to have them done.

Orient Express,
from where do you get the brake and cabin filter intervals?

Herm,
thanks, I was considering that.
do you go to this dealer?

thankyouOB said:
Dear PETER,

It's been about a year since you took delivery of your Nissan LEAF.

Somewhat OT, but obviously this note was triggered by a date of purchase type event, so pretty easy to know when to send that out.

However, I started getting some e-mails from my local Nissan dealership (where I bought the car) telling me it was time to come in and have my tires rotated at 7500 miles.

Now I've been putting a LOT more miles on the car than I ever have in my life, and way above an average driver. But at the time I started receiving these e-mails I only had about 5300 miles on the car and had only owned the car for 3 months. I originally chalked it up to just a weird "oil change reminder" that they changed the wording to "tire rotation" for the LEAF (to which I would give them props, since I know some other dealers still send out the oil change reminder notices!) But the e-mails persisted and I got at least 2 more "reminders".

Has anyone else gotten such e-mails from their dealers? Are they getting actual mileage information fed to them from CARWINGS (even though it would clearly not show I was near 7500 miles) or is my "oil change -> tire rotation" theory correct?

thankyouOB said:
Orient Express,
from where do you get the brake and cabin filter intervals?

Herm,
thanks, I was considering that.
do you go to this dealer?

This stuff is in the owners guide set, in the Maintenance book. All 3 items, (tires, cabin filter, and brake fluid) follow industry standard intervals.

OrientExpress said:
... Of the maintenance items listed above, here is the correct maintenance interval:

- Battery Usage Report - every 15K miles
- Replace brake fluid - every THREE years regardless of milage
- Replace in-cabin microfilter - every 15K miles
- Rotate tires - every 7.5K miles

Actually I thought the battery report was yearly regardless of mileage.

So, it's been a year since this post was reviewed so I thought I'd ask some follow up questions and also lend a little mid west info. <duh...read a purchase date as thread date, ima noob>

So has anyone actually had their Leaf for 3 years and spent $$ for the battery check? What was the cost?

Rotate tires, well that's anywhere you want to go. I happen to really like the Goodyear retailers here so I go there for my maintenance and tires (sigh, wish they would come with Goodyears instead of Firestone).

Talking to a co-worker he gets his cabin filter done yearly on his ICE and notices a real difference every year.

So on the mid west info, first test drive I was handed off to the Sales Manager, a really nice guy even if he was a car salesman. He mentioned that he was honestly concerned about their parts department and what they might be seeing in 5-10 years as they make a lot of money on service and there was no service on the Leaf which is a selling point they use to get buyers all the while knowing that it hurts their service dept.

It has only been about a week and a half since this thread was created. The LEAF was released in the US on Dec 2010, so nobody has them for 3 years yet.

I have had my car for about 10 months now, and is at ~9000 miles, i just got a carwing reminder as well as an email from nissan, saying i've driven my car for about 15,000 miles and should take it to a dealer for service???

i am pretty sure the odometer reads less than 10,000 miles...
is this error pretty common or there's something going on with my carwing account?
(i did launch carwing, and my total miles are no where near 15000 miles)

thanks.

dyyuan said:
I have had my car for about 10 months now, and is at ~9000 miles, i just got a carwing reminder as well as an email from nissan, saying i've driven my car for about 15,000 miles and should take it to a dealer for service???

i am pretty sure the odometer reads less than 10,000 miles...
is this error pretty common or there's something going on with my carwing account?
(i did launch carwing, and my total miles are no where near 15000 miles)

thanks.
I am at 10,000 miles now and received a similar 15,000-mile email a few weeks ago. I wonder what triggers this notification. My carwings account mileage is not that far off.

Gerry

ENIAC said:
kubel said:
Does Nissan do a full purge of all brake fluid and bleed the brakes?

Does anyone know the proper bleeding sequence on the LEAF?
I have a brake bleeder tool. First you extract the fluid from the master cylinder. Replace it with Nissan Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid (DOT3) 999MP-A4100P. Remove the back right wheel and bleed the brake line. Top off the master cylinder. Remove the back left wheel and bleed the brake line. Top off the master cylinder. Remove the front right wheel and bleed the brake line. Top off the master cylinder. Remove the front left wheel and bleed the brake line. Top off the master cylinder. Done.

Thanks ENIAC!

After inquiring about this at my normal dealer, Nissan of Downtown LA, I have decided not to use them because they tried to tell me I needed all the services and it would cost me $250.

Then, I tried Gardena Nissan, despite having a previous bad experience with them. I was on hold, then got hung up on. Called back- then got hung up on again. Called two more times and the line dropped dead before I reached anyone. Total= 4 hang ups.

Finally, I called Power Nissan of the South Bay and got an honest answer from Mike, so I'll be trying them for the first time. Why is it so hard to find a dealer that's both honest and reliable?

Back