One-year/15 k miles service -$203 at Fremont, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replacing the brake fluid periodically may be good preventative maintenance for the expensive master cylinder:

MASTER CYLINDER BRAKE CONTROLLER ASSY; Leaf MSRP $3778 On-line Price $2758

To be fair, after more questioning, I did get a follow up email from Nissan of Downtown LA stating that the battery check up was free and the other services were not mandatory.

tgrich said:
After inquiring about this at my normal dealer, Nissan of Downtown LA, I have decided not to use them because they tried to tell me I needed all the services and it would cost me $250.

Then, I tried Gardena Nissan, despite having a previous bad experience with them. I was on hold, then got hung up on. Called back- then got hung up on again. Called two more times and the line dropped dead before I reached anyone. Total= 4 hang ups.
Finally, I called Power Nissan of the South Bay and got an honest answer from Mike, so I'll be trying them for the first time. Why is it so hard to find a dealer that's both honest and reliable?

If anybody knows Gardena Nissan's email addy, they should forward this message to the service manager. I'll bet someone over there would be looking for a job soon. :(

Going back to page 1 of this thread (brake fluids)...I did ask about brake fluids being replaced and they said they do a total purge of system...Ill still pass on this @ 15000 miles..

mark13 said:
Going back to page 1 of this thread (brake fluids)...I did ask about brake fluids being replaced and they said they do a total purge of system...Ill still pass on this @ 15000 miles..

Brake fluid replacement is a 3 year maintenance item, regardless of mileage. Don't be fooled into doing it sooner.

I think the controller is a different item than the actual master cylinder. But if not, it would be the most expensive master cylinder on the planet!

By the way, you can simply use a test strip to see when it is time to change your brake fluid... Most will find that every three years is fine; certainly no more often than two.

myleaf said:
Replacing the brake fluid periodically may be good preventative maintenance for the expensive master cylinder:
MASTER CYLINDER BRAKE CONTROLLER ASSY; Leaf MSRP $3778 On-line Price $2758

OrientExpress said:
mark13 said:

Brake fluid replacement is a 3 year maintenance item, regardless of mileage. Don't be fooled into doing it sooner.

But the Schedule II (less severe) makes you do it every two years or it will void your warranty.
You can also use a DMM to test for moisture...any voltage below .3 means it is still good. Earlier, mine was .1, but lately it tested at .2.

LEAFfan said:
OrientExpress said:
But the Schedule II (less severe) makes you do it every two years or it will void your warranty.
I think you may have overstated that a bit. As the Maintenance Guide says:
Failure to perform scheduled maintenance may result in excluding portions of your electric vehicle from warranty coverage
But that "may result" qualification is spelled out more clearly in the Warranty Booklet:
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion resulting from or caused by:
  • Lack of performance of proper maintenance services as outlined in your NISSAN LEAF SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE.
In other words, if something fails in the braking system and they can show the failure was caused by not replacing brake fluid according to their schedule, then that failure will not be covered. But this is not at all the same as voiding the vehicle warranty.

LEAFfan said:
You can also use a DMM to test for moisture...any voltage below .3 means it is still good. Earlier, mine was .1, but lately it tested at .2.
This is intriguing. By DMM you mean just an ordinary digital multi-meter? Are you talking about a voltage drop? And if so, over what gap? More details, please.

Ray

Looks like I get the prize for paying the most :)

15,000 Mile Service. $305.87 at Newton Nissan. (This is after $40 of coupons being applied to the bill).

They did the following.

Tire Rotation, Replace Brake Fluid, 4 Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing, Replace Cabin Filter, R&R rear hatch weather seal (warranty). Oh and they gave me one of the 'free' car washes :)

They had previously agreed to replace the rear hatch seal (that I damaged moving furniture) as a service concession from a previous visit. The only item that raised my eyebrow was the 4 wheel alignment and balancing. I wasn't planning on the brake fluid replacement, but won an iPad2 as a door prize at a marketing event they had recently. Didn't feel right going the cheap route given I got a free iPad2 and a free rear weather seal from them in the last few months.

Well I suppose I'm paying for the iPad and weather seal now.

JP

Back