Open Letter from Nissan, September 22, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
But more importantly it completely destroys the TCO for the LEAF for that individual.

Well said.

In my calculations and assumptions I thought I could beak even after 6 years, assuming the battery would last 10 years, the car would still have some resale value at year 6 / 80,000 miles when I'd probably want to sell and buy another vehicle. (On average I keep vehicles 6 years, YMMV)

Judging by TickTocks graph I may be lucky to get to year 7 before needing a new battery which would make the car all but worthless to a prospective purchaser at year 6.

As you say it affects the TCO calculation. I may not get break even after 6 years after all. If gas goes up in price things may pan out, I'm now projecting being better off by $2,000 at year 6 rather than my break-even projection (thanks to higher gas prices; I assumed $2.86). A $5,000 battery purchase would turn the TCO upside down.

I'd be interested in battery life projections for Tennessee. I haven't 'bailed early' as some did to protect themselves, but as new models come on the market fear of what 'might happen' may encourage me to trade early. Such fear is driven by lack of knowledge/data on how long my battery might last, the 5 star annual check didn't do it for me. At some point in the not too distant future I'd like to see regional battery life projections from Nisssan.

LEAFguy said:
Volusiano said:
I've only seen Jeff Kuhlman posted maybe a few times on this thread so far. Most notably was his introduction post, and another one was a response to see if he could talk with the other Nissan execs about coming to Phoenix for a town hall of some sort.

I thought we were going to hear a lot more from Jeff than just a few posts he's put in so far. There have been a ton of posts from LEAF owners with lots of comments and ideas on this thread, and also lots of recent events like the AZ lemon-law buybacks, the Mark Perry retirement, and also the newly Nissan-announced 7500-mile Nissan-LEAF-Year (as Tony Williams dubbed it).

So Jeff, please participate some more and give us your thoughts on what Nissan is thinking in light of the recent events and comments on this thread? I really hope you'd be a regular participant on this thread/forum to answer questions, like you said you would. Thanks.

Mr. Kuhlman has contributed four posts to this forum in five days. In any world other than this forum, this would be seen as an amazing response. A high level Nissan Motors (the parent company of the Nissan and Infiniti brands) executive choosing to participate at all is almost unheard of. During that time he has gone from Japan to France, all the while conducting his business, which is Nissan Global Communications, which includes virtually every Nissan business world wide.

It should be clear (but perhaps it is not to some), that Chelsea Sexton is acting, to a degree, as Nissan's proxy in this matter.
and Chelsea Sexton has been sending me updates and reminding me to stay up to speed.
Mr. Kuhlman's presence here is appreciated by all, I'm sure. A corporation the size of Nissan does nothing quickly. Their communication experience observed prior to his introduction is a testament to that. The "town hall of some sort" that you refer to is not just for Phoenix, but in addition for "a number of cities" according to Mr. Kuhlman. This kind of planning and coordination for several high level executives doesn't happen quickly in any organization. The fact that Nissan is willing to meet the public directly and accept input from us should be seen as a step in the right direction. The fact that Mr. Kuhlman has been as active as he has, considering his position, should be seen as an extremely positive step.

Welcome back Ernie. You have been rather quiet during the last week or so. I was looking forward to some of your insights into all that has gone on during the last few weeks. I really have not seen many articles at Living Leaf about everything that has been going on. We could sure use you now. You obviously know how the corporate mind works. Any help would be appreciated. Mahalo, Kelly

Volusiano said:
I've only seen Jeff Kuhlman posted maybe a few times on this thread so far. Most notably was his introduction post, and another one was a response to see if he could talk with the other Nissan execs about coming to Phoenix for a town hall of some sort.

I thought we were going to hear a lot more from Jeff than just a few posts he's put in so far. There have been a ton of posts from LEAF owners with lots of comments and ideas on this thread, and also lots of recent events like the AZ lemon-law buybacks, the Mark Perry retirement, and also the newly Nissan-announced 7500-mile Nissan-LEAF-Year (as Tony Williams dubbed it).

So Jeff, please participate some more and give us your thoughts on what Nissan is thinking in light of the recent events and comments on this thread? I really hope you'd be a regular participant on this thread/forum to answer questions, like you said you would. Thanks.

I seriously doubt you will hear much from Mr. Kuhlman on this forum - at least not anything specific about addressing battery capacity issue, until and unless there is a corporate policy adopted by Nissan top management. Anything he posts here can be invoked in lawsuits, at least one of which has already been filed.

Anyone working for Nissan will first and foremost protect the company.

I believe his role is to provide a sympathetic ear to Leaf owners, so that they do not feel abandoned, and also to serve as a "fly on the wall" for Nissan with respect to what owners are saying/feeling.

RegGuheert said:
Yes, they had done the testing, but, no, all was not well. Based on Nissan's communications, no owner could possibly have foreseen losing a capacity bar weighted at 15% in just 4.4 months and 3900 miles.

The PR spin hasn't magically changed much in the past few days. The recent 40 mile range acknowledgement (surprise?) is probably not considered official policy, and not even smart to say in the face of lawsuits about this very issue, and that clearly had never been uttered by a Nissan official, press release, sales contract, or advertising previously. As far as Nissan is concerned officially, and practically, all is well with the batteries. They are not going to change that statement, or the batteries. Hopefully, we all understand that.

Sales are bad in the USA, and the root cause has nothing to do with bad batteries. The USA sales downslope started last summer while they were still getting awesome press and awards. (OK, a little off topic... when Nissan execs throw around aviation terms like "glideslope", just for the record, those are 3 degrees down. They would love to have 3% capacity loss per year!!).

There's some complainers in Phoenix and other hot areas, and they will "handle that". The lawsuits, those get handled, too. Don't think for one second that the plaintiff lawyers will make any demands of Nissan that will compromise them making a few million bucks (meaning no practical or substantial change to LEAF). Anything that is a substantial improvement that applies to not just LEAF, but every EV, will be via regulatory improvements. That's where real life overall improvements with lasting impact will help future EV consumers.

Make no mistake; you bad drivers that dared to drive the car 3,900 to 29,000 miles, with your "high miles"; you are to blame. You should have known that your long commute at high speeds approaching the legal speed limit was going to cause problems. Yes, you could do that in a Versa in the exact same ambient conditions and time and the worst issue would be bugs splattered on the front bumper. But don't confuse facts!! You are bad... Because, otherwise Nissan would be to blame. As is frequently the case in life, you have to read the body language more than the words. If Nissan pulls this car from Phoenix, you'll have your answer. To continue selling in Phoenix will be an absolute blood bath of complaints next summer, and the next summer, et al. Or, you could move to Seattle and drive 50,000 plus miles like a driver has done up there, but he is clearly a good driver!!!!

Trick question: How many Nissan-LEAF-Years(TM) have elapsed since I started typing this?

I expect that the filing of the class action lawsuit will totally shut off
any discussion with Nissan on the subject of batteries, range,
charging, temperature, performance, warranty, and other related issues.

I get that people are mad. complaints have had some effect and we are making some progress with Nissan. even folks who havent lost capacity or much capacity are concerned, but once again there are voices here that are just misstating the seriousness of the situation.

RegGuheert said:
But more importantly it completely destroys the TCO for the LEAF for that individual. I seriously doubt that any of us, including those in Phoenix, thought we might be signing up to replace out batteries every year or two.

this is seriously wrong and overstated. let's all just go to our fainting couches.

and elsewhere, there is frequent mischaracterization of what David Reuter said. that doesnt excuse Nissan's apparently dishonest decisions when the marketeers overruled the engineers.

here is what Reuter said:
The Leaf is "not for every driver," said Reuter.

"You need to make sure your driving style and driving needs fit the output of the vehicle," he said. "We know that the wide majority of U.S. drivers drive no more than 40 miles a day. The Nissan Leaf is a perfect vehicle for those individuals. For those who drive more than that, it may not be."

that says the car may not be perfect for those who drive more than 40 miles a day. "not perfect" does not = unsuitable.
that is how some folks here are characterizing this statement.

I understand that the owners who are not satisfied will disagree and want to do whatever it takes defend their interests but I believe that a class action lawsuit is disproportionate. I could be wrong but it will only benefit the lawyers and the EV naysayers who will use (already are using) this to fuel their anti-EV ranting. If you disagree, please explain what good could come out this because I can't see any.

ericsf said:
I understand that the owners who are not satisfied will disagree and want to do whatever it takes defend their interests but I believe that a class action lawsuit is disproportionate. I could be wrong but it will only benefit the lawyers and the EV naysayers who will use (already are using) this to fuel their anti-EV ranting. If you disagree, please explain what good could come out this because I can't see any.
I believe that there are few people who think that anything good will come of the class action suit, myself included. It's interesting to see though that someone out there thought that there was a claim worth rolling the dice. An industry analyst I met last week thought the 80% charging issue had the most legs, since it substantially impacts the range of the vehicle. Keep in mind that the suit was filed last Monday, and the parties usually have a conference before the complaint is filed. This means that Nissan, or at least their legal department, knew of the suit couple of weeks ago. I believe that you should see some of their actions since then through that lens as well. I think there is enough goodwill to address the situation and find suitable remedies for drivers that feel they have been misled or were not given the information they needed.

That said, I too believe that we need better regulation for any car with a sizable traction battery. Yes, the technology will get better, and I'm hearing that the cycle life with LiFePo is so good, even in hot environments, that degradation is not worth worrying about. But even then, batteries will wear out, some sooner than later, and there needs to be a recourse for affected owners. If the warranty only covers manufacturing defects, then the owner should be able to purchase a replacement battery or have someone recondition the current one. Unfortunately, due to the competitive landscape, manufacturers are incented to keep much of this information and component pricing to themselves, because of its proprietary nature.

ericsf said:

Why would anybody honestly spend a lot of time debating this. You stated your position, and why. You admitted that those who were not satisfied would feel different.

Those suing aren't fueling the anti-EV groups... those groups don't need much help there. The folks suing are either victims (if you live in Phoenix) or bad for EV's if you live in San Fran / Seattle and don't have to suffer the direct impact (besides falling LEAF values overall). That has been quite well established.

The suits will exist whichever side of the issue you fall.

surfingslovak said:
I believe that there are few people who think that anything good will come of the class action suit, myself included. It's interesting to see though that someone out there thought that there was a claim worth rolling the dice.

Somebody walked in their door and complained, and they looked around and saw a lot of possible actionable angles. I suspect the vast majority of claims against Nissan are settled, therefore a payday is waiting for those lawyers.

It's just too easy not to do.

ericsf said:
While the class action lawsuit may be an appropriate remedy for those in Arizona (at least 11.5% of owners have lost one capacity bar, probably a lot more we don't know about), it certainly isn't a good fit for California. There have been 26 reports of capacity loss in California out of about 3500 sold (from memory) which works out to 0.7%. Texas is likely to be a lot closer to Arizona with 23 reports; not sure of the total number sold there.

It is a shame that the suit was filed, but that's water under the bridge now.

PS Does anyone have an accurate figure for California Leaf sales or Texas Leaf sales that will provide a good denominator?

Of relevance, Chelsea has suggested that Nissan should hide the battery capacity bars in sub menus and not display them on the dash, somewhere deep in this very long podcast: http://whatdrives.us/podcast/episode-115-shape-things-come
I'm not sure of her reasoning since capacity loss is going to be reflected in range numbers anyway. I don't like the idea of hiding data as a solution to anything but she does make the point that other EV's don't display pack capacity directly.

JRP3 said:
I don't like the idea of hiding data as a solution to anything but she does make the point that other EV's don't display pack capacity directly.
The Volt does, it shows the usable kWh figure on each charge in plain sight on the dash, and from what I've gathered many owners track it. That said, I think a few of us might agree that the instrumentation in the Leaf could be better.

surfingslovak said:
JRP3 said:
I don't like the idea of hiding data as a solution to anything but she does make the point that other EV's don't display pack capacity directly.
The Volt does, ...
I said "EV's" ;) With the Volt it's obviously less of a concern.

JRP3 said:
Of relevance, Chelsea has suggested that Nissan should hide the battery capacity bars in sub menus and not display them on the dash, somewhere deep in this very long podcast: http://whatdrives.us/podcast/episode-115-shape-things-come
I'm not sure of her reasoning since capacity loss is going to be reflected in range numbers anyway. I don't like the idea of hiding data as a solution to anything but she does make the point that other EV's don't display pack capacity directly.

I've made the same suggestion here as well, back when folks were talking about the importance of focusing on range, not capacity. But it wasn't in the context of being a solution to the current issue at all.

However, I can see a potentially negative psychological component of having that gauge so obviously placed. Drivers who have not begun to actually experience range reduction will see the capacity bars start to decline and perceive their cars as declining even if the usefulness to that individual hasn't changed at all.

I know capacity is useful information, particularly in the context of used EV sales. But it's not as useful on a day-to-day basis as range and other data. My suggestion is to keep the capacity information available, but to locate it elsewhere.

thankyouOB said:
RegGuheert said:
But more importantly it completely destroys the TCO for the LEAF for that individual. I seriously doubt that any of us, including those in Phoenix, thought we might be signing up to replace out batteries every year or two.

this is seriously wrong and overstated. let's all just go to our fainting couches.
This is not wrong nor overstated. ScottY and Azdre found that they were not able to reasonably continue to use their cars for their intended purpose long before two years had passed. As a result Nissan was compelled to repurchase their vehicles or face further bad press or legal action. There will be more cases like this.

evchels said:
However, I can see a potentially negative psychological component of having that gauge so obviously placed. Drivers who have not begun to actually experience range reduction will see the capacity bars start to decline and perceive their cars as declining even if the usefulness to that individual hasn't changed at all.

Actually, I experienced the decline of my car range way before the disappearance of my top capacity bar.

TonyWilliams said:
ericsf said:

Why would anybody honestly spend a lot of time debating this. You stated your position, and why. You admitted that those who were not satisfied would feel different.

Those suing aren't fueling the anti-EV groups... those groups don't need much help there. The folks suing are either victims (if you live in Phoenix) or bad for EV's if you live in San Fran / Seattle and don't have to suffer the direct impact (besides falling LEAF values overall). That has been quite well established.

The suits will exist whichever side of the issue you fall.
I think a class action lawsuit is wrong and unjustified. I feel that the people who filed this do not represent me and are hurting a cause I believe in. I hope Nissan will use the voices other owners who, like me disagree to defend themselves.
I also think that my question was simple and valid: what good do they expect from this? If this answer was posted already, then fine, chastise me for not doing my homework before posting. But questioning the time spent debating, that sounded just like my wife :)

RegGuheert said:
I'm with you on the theme of your posts. Your observation that we are working our way through the grieving process is dead-on!

The main reason I posted in May the Nissan should stop selling in Phoenix is that prospective owners from that city were coming here for advice and they were not being told to use caution by members here. Rather they were being told to dive into the shallow end of the pool. "The water's great!" No mention of the fact that the batteries were dying so fast that they wouldn't be able to make their commute for the life of the lease.

But I will answer one of your rhetorical questions:
timhebb said:
Once we recognize that the poisoned pea under our stack of mattresses is the inevitability of battery mortality, what difference does it make whether our batteries linger 4% less long in the Arizona heat, or 10% longer in Seattle's mists?
Simply put, the difference is total cost of ownership. All of us wanted to get into the EV movement (or to take the next step) and we all had our own threshold of cost that we were willing to bear to make our go/no-go decision on the purchase and/or lease of the LEAF. We all weighed the costs and risks based on our financial situations and our perceptions of the utility of the cars.

Unfortunately, Nissan painted the picture with a broad brush and did not properly differentiate between the life of the LEAF in Phoenix versus Seattle versus San Diego. Worse, when Elon Musk publicly stated that the battery system was primitive and would not survive in the desert, Nissan insisted that they had done the testing there and all was well. Yes, they had done the testing, but, no, all was not well. Based on Nissan's communications, no owner could possibly have foreseen losing a capacity bar weighted at 15% in just 4.4 months and 3900 miles. That experience is too far from the picture that Nissan painted to be reconciled with their statements that this is "normal". But more importantly it completely destroys the TCO for the LEAF for that individual. I seriously doubt that any of us, including those in Phoenix, thought we might be signing up to replace out batteries every year or two.

Thanks again for carefully parsing and helping to clarify some of these issues.

All I've been trying to say in my last couple of posts is that battery capacity loss is partially a tech/engineering problem and partially a consumer psychology/paradigm change problem, and the latter may be just as tough a nut to crack as the former. As much as I love my Leaf, I mourn the steady incremental loss of capacity and range that I sense almost every day, and I live in a supposedly temperate, Leaf-battery-friendly climate (Los Angeles). After 18 months, I haven't lost a bar yet, but the loss of range since day one has been clear and dramatic. I wouldn't think of embarking (clumsy word choice, invoking a boating metaphor) on certain itineraries that I once would not have hesitated to drive. I resist undertaking homegrown pseudo-scientific analyses purporting to quantify and metricize the loss - for one, I want to experience the Leaf like an ordinary driver and, two, I don't have the patience, obsession or interest in buying a GIDmeter or other like tools, although I appreciate the findings of the many MNL members who have and continue to conduct obsessive testing, observation and analysis.

I suspect my personal response to my Leaf's slow decline is and will be shared by many if not most BEV drivers. Unlike our experience with the ICE paradigm, we live with an ongoing, ever-present sense of the vehicle's mortality, almost as if it were an untreatable and irreversible disease, which takes a heavy toll on us emotionally and mentally over time. With an ICE, when something goes wrong, we can usually just have parts replaced and - voila! - it's as good as new (at least, that is how we psychologically perceive most repairs on an ICE vehicle). The nearest ICE analog to the BEVs' existential condition would be something like the gradual loss of cylinder compression, which is essentially untreatable without a major engine overhaul or replacement.

My point is that the experience - the paradigm - of owning/driving a BEV is radically different from that of an ICE car, and there's a profound psychological component involved. When I acquired my Leaf, I thought I was prepared for the concept of capacity loss. I intellectually accepted it, and dismissed the thought from my mind. But now, 18 months later, even though the battery's performance and condition are probably well within the guidelines established by Nissan (certainly more favorable than that of Tucson Leafs), I find I'm not really emotionally accepting of the loss. In fact, I often find myself running through my mental calendar to contemplate the day when, lease expired, I'll be free to sign paperwork to get behind the wheel of a new Leaf, or Tesla, or some freshly minted BEV yet to come to market.

Perhaps, as some have suggested, this is a result of Nissan's particular engineering choices. I believe that it's probably too early to tell. The success of the new paradigm depends on more than the chemistry of the batteries; to a large degree it depends as well on the mysterious chemistry of the human brain.

JRP3 said:

If I understand her correctly, she wants drivers understanding that there is degradation, but to not fixate on it. Let's be honest; for the multitudes of LEAF owners in hot areas that only drive short distances daily, they wouldn't worry about degradation if it wasn't staring them in the face.

Long distance drivers will be keenly aware as their car degrades, and can further look on the appropriate maintenance page for that data (where we can get the ACTUAL data that the future LEAFscan will provide).

That data isn't there yet, but wouldn't you prefer the data TickTock got at 84.7% capacity, as opposed to a goofy non-linear, low resolution (and currently not very accurate) dash display? Better data without the alarmist aspect.

I like it.

Back