OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So make it and sell it. What's with the stupid kickstarter thing? I wouldn't touch this with 20 foot pole.

Crowdfunding is popular, in most cases legitimate, and can dramatically ramp up production if done successfully.

If Open EVSE hadn't gotten off the ground, this would have been an extremely attractive alternative.

However, timing is everything, and these guys aren't bringing anything new to the table except an enclosure that looks like a Duracell battery. Chris blew the lid off the EVSE already (quite literally with ChargeAmerica, lol).

There are a few differences; they are supplying the relays for the advanced model ($199), supposedly they are 60A capable. They also have CTs to measure current, and a small OLED display to show charging time, current, KW, and it's supposed to come complete in an enclosure. I have reserved one to test, plus I have a Model S UMC connector I can use with it, so I won't have to spend much more to complete it (I bought the Model S end from someone who cut it off a Tesla UMC to install a J-1772 connector on it, for charging a RAV4EV at a full 40A)

Will let everyone know what it looks like/works. Not abandoning OpenEVSE, just testing something new.

Once a company starts with cutting costs on safety it says quite a bit about their concern for customers, the design should have led with safety as priority one and this shows the lack of dedication to proper, professional engineering. Just wait until they try to support this with people assembling these that have never even put a plug end on a cord, the wrong type of buyer will be led to this product and it could be ugly.

JeremyW said:
I believe you are working on more inexpensive revisions to compete price wise on the JuiceBox, without scrimping on safety. Very Commendable! Bravo Chris!

Not necessarily to compete with Juicebox, all the new products were in the works long before Juicebox was announced.

My motivation is primarily customer feedback. I also have a bit more time to devote to OpenEVSE as hours at my day job have been cut by 20%.

Juicebox does provide a little catalyst though. I wish the project the best an hope they deliver a qulity product on time and are not another EV Charge America. It looks like they are reconsidering GFCI as a paid option on the basic unit, so at least they are listening. JeremyW is correct I will not scrimp on safety, I can get cost down and still sleep soundly at night.

another...

9309985609_7cd4022c66_n.jpg

mitch672 said:
There are a few differences; they are supplying the relays for the advanced model ($199), supposedly they are 60A capable. They also have CTs to measure current, and a small OLED display to show charging time, current, KW, and it's supposed to come complete in an enclosure. I have reserved one to test, plus I have a Model S UMC connector I can use with it, so I won't have to spend much more to complete it (I bought the Model S end from someone who cut it off a Tesla UMC to install a J-1772 connector on it, for charging a RAV4EV at a full 40A)

Will let everyone know what it looks like/works. Not abandoning OpenEVSE, just testing something new.

I am curious to see what relay they are using for 60A,once you get above 30A, they are very expensive.

I sure hope they are not these cheap Solid State Relays found all over ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Solid-S...998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c34d7eb4e

I just wish the eMW people had supported Open EVSE rather than starting another project... the more resources we can throw at this the better the end products will be.

Chris- I'm soooo anxious to know what you're up to. Can you share any more beyond the pieces/parts photos you've been posting? I took delilvery of a 2013 LEAF SL a few weeks ago and have been holding off on a home charging solution pending your announcement.

brianwech said:
Chris- I'm soooo anxious to know what you're up to. Can you share any more beyond the pieces/parts photos you've been posting? I took delilvery of a 2013 LEAF SL a few weeks ago and have been holding off on a home charging solution pending your announcement.

Okay, I'll let the cat out of the bag...

I have a bunch of new products coming designed to provide commonality with the OpenEVSE Plus v2. I will be able to buy parts in higher quantity and offer new options for full featured EVSE at a lower cost. Here is what is coming...

Full Web store Will open in about a week. Will offer combos/individual pricing for most parts required to build an OpenEVSE. OpenEVSE kits, LCDs, relays, cable glands, fuses, fuse holders, adaptor cables, AC cables, lit buttons, programmers, serial USB, cables etc... I have been building stock over the last couple months, at launch most parts will have more than 25 units in stock...

DIY OpenEVSE Plus - all through hole components and equivalent to the OpenEVSE Plus v2. Kit will come with board, power supply and components. I will have a price when I finish the BOM should be less than $75. Required soldering.

DIY OpenEVSE Plus 24A with built in relays- all through hole components and equivalent to the OpenEVSE Plus v2. Kit will come with board, power supply and components. . Required soldering. should be about $10 more the DIY OpenEVSE Plus.

DIY RGB LCD all through hole components. Available board only, kit with components. Both with and without Real time clock RTC.

DIY LCD all through hole components. Available board only, kit with components. Both with and without RTC. with single color LCD

Remote LED uses same code as LCDs can be used with/without LCD.

Arduino Shield coming back with minor revisions to allow easy connection of LCDs and remote LED.

Since the juicebox is said to use an Arduino mini I decided to build up a OpenEVSE using one. It cost around $6 shipped from China. It turns out it works fine. It is shown with a cheap China RTC.

This is my home OpenEVSE charging my 2013 Leaf SL

Here is my work 16A EVSE

And last here is my test OpenEVSE

Hi all,

Here is a early peek at the new OpenEVSE Store. The store launches officially tomorrow, but since OpenEVSE (AKA DIY Weekend Project) was born here at MNL, MNL members gets early access.

http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/

Lots of great stuff like the new DIY OpenEVSE PLUS kit for $69.50....

Let me know what you think...
Chris

chris1howell said:
Hi all,

Here is a early peek at the new OpenEVSE Store. The store launches officially tomorrow, but since OpenEVSE (AKA DIY Weekend Project) was born here at MNL, MNL members gets early access.

http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/

Lots of great stuff like the new DIY OpenEVSE PLUS kit for $69.50....

Let me know what you think...
Chris
This looks really great. I just ordered a kit for evaluation. The price looks to shoot down the other "brand"

Thanks Glenn...

No, its not really about the "other" brand, the new products have been in the works... design, prototyping, purchasing for many months. Although, I am a little irritated the other guys did not put their effort to build on OpenEVSE and instead split the community. Their overall design obviously is influenced/borrowed from OpenEVSE. I also am not sure how committed they are to Open Source as their other "Open Source" product requires purchase to access the design documents and prohibits commercial use both against Open Source guidelines.

My motivation is the same as in the beginning, to serve as a catalyst to bring down EVSE prices. I would like to think that OpenEVSE and EVSE Upgrade played a significant role id driving down prices. Both projects combined have captured many customers (couple/few thousand) away from overpriced EVSEs. I do not think we would see the $450 Bosch unit if OpenEVSE and EVSE Upgrade were not around.

So the new board is trying to take the next step and give builders with soldering skills and a couple hours time another easy option. If only we could get the J1772 cord price lower...

Why does the built DIY kit look different than the pre-assembled controller? The DIY version look larger with more components?

gobble said:
Why does the built DIY kit look different than the pre-assembled controller? The DIY version look larger with more components?

I can answer for Chris, until he sees your question. The pre assembled version uses surface mount components on the underside of the PCB, those are difficult if not impossible to install with a soldering iron. The DIY kit uses ALL though-hole components, so it's easy to assemble for the DIY builder.

Back