OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking build, I have not seen too many in the landscape orientation. I like it...

The overshoot on the pilot looks pretty minor, it should operate just fine.

Thanks Chris,
I have really enjoyed this project build. Very well thought out and executed design, a tribute to "open source" everywhere. I didn't have one hiccup in the process. (fingers crossed cuz' I just jinxed it)

Now I just need a big Open EVSE logo sticker on the left to finish it off.

Don

P.S. Checked the parasitic draw with my kill-a-watt and it showed .85 W. The blink draws 10 times more.

:?: I love my LEAF. I'am a newbie. Here is my beginner Question: Why do I need a EVSE station in my garage? I currently have a 30 amp socket that I connect to my Leaf through my modified 110v. cable. The cable was changed from a 110v. plug to a 220v. (30 amp) plug. My 3.3kw charger now recharges the battery pack in 6-7 hours. I should also mention that my home service panel will have to be upgraded from 100 to 200 amps..... Take it easy, I really want to know ;) .........Thanks.

Burr said:
:?: I love my LEAF. I'am a newbie. Here is my beginner Question: Why do I need a EVSE station in my garage? I currently have a 30 amp socket that I connect to my Leaf through my modified 110v. cable. The cable was changed from a 110v. plug to a 220v. (30 amp) plug. My 3.3kw charger now recharges the battery pack in 6-7 hours. I should also mention that my home service panel will have to be upgraded from 100 to 200 amps..... Take it easy, I really want to know ;) .........Thanks.

You don't need any additional EVSE.

If you like building projects, then this is a great one.

Burr said:

Sounds like you already have an EVSE? That car comes with an EVSE. You don't really need a second one unless you want to permanently leave it at one place but still carry one in the car. Did you send the EVSE that came with your car to EVSEUpgrade?

Hello,
Here is my reasoning; i plan to upgrade my leaf to 6.6kW charging so I wanted a portable 30A EVSE to take advantage of it. Now when using the 30A dryer plug at a friend's beach house or plugged into a 14-50 receptacle at a KOA I get full kWh rate.
As my battery degrades it will keep the car more usefull with only short stops required to boost my range enough to make my new 45 mile commute in winter.

My .02
Don

bowthom said:
That's the beauty of the open evse, I can set the max to allow for the supply capabilities.

You can do that also with the 2013 Nissan/Panasonic EVSE when modified by http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The adjustment is in one amp increments from 6 amps to either 20 or 25 amps (depending on which modification you have).

The same thing when using a Tesla UMC... just putting on the correct NEMA plug equals the correct current draw; up to 24 amps from 30 amp dryer circuits and up to 40 amps from 50 amp welder and RV park outlets.

:?: I'am just using my converted cable (30 amp/220 v) to charge my( 3.2kw) Leaf. What are the actual amps being drawn at below the 80% SOC ? How do you 'balance' these batteries? I think a full re-charge is about 6.5 hour, is that correct?.......Thanks :)

Burr said:
:?: I'am just using my converted cable (30 amp/220 v) to charge my( 3.2kw) Leaf. What are the actual amps being drawn at below the 80% SOC ? How do you 'balance' these batteries? I think a full re-charge is about 6.5 hour, is that correct?.......Thanks :)

The 3.3kw Leaf charges at a maximum of 16A. To balance charge to 100% and leave it plugged in for at least 6 hours.

I just finished testing a new board that has been frequently requested. A full featured J1772 controller with built in 30A relays. It really simplifies a charge station build significantly. As always it is completely Open Source, design files and source code are online now.

Blog post:http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/blogs/news/9641505-new-product-30a-diy-openevse-plus

IMG_8980_medium.jpg

bowthom said:
SOoooooooooo Chris, I was wondering if it is possible to have the open EVSE remember the charge duration after it stops?

I agree... I posted a bug report. I will look into the issue if someone else does not get to it first...

What steps will reproduce the problem?
Elapsed timer gone when charging is complete.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
Elapsed Timer should stop counting up when charging is complete and continue to display the total elapsed time of the charge until the charge cable is unplugged.

bowthom said:
Hello,
Added a touch of class to my build:

Looks great, I went with a similar theme with the logo I did a few nights ago. I just posted the .jpg and Inkscape .svg here:
https://open-evse.googlecode.com/files/OpenEVSE_logo.zip

z0ner said:
As always Chris, a functional work of art!

Thanks z0ner, I have another one coming that is based on the surface mount board with 30A relays. It is pretty small for a 30A EVSE.

Back