Opinions about refurbished Clipper Creek CS 40 on ebay ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nworbekim

There are a couple of refurbished Clipper Creek CS-40 units available on ebay. Does anyone have opinions about the pros and cons of getting a refurb CS 40 to save 30-40% over a new residential grade L2 30 amp unit?

Regards,
Mike

I'm a big fan of Clipper Creek, and it's not because they are "high tech". Quite the opposite. Simple, solid and dependable.

So, I don't know what a refurbished one might be. I suspect it's a turn in from the BMW Mini-E project, and they put a J1772 handle on it.

Sure, if that's the case, sounds great. Do you have a link?

Edit: ok, I checked out the two listed today on eBay. Both are likely from the BMW project, as I thought. Even the CS-40 picture shows the holster for the BMW nozzle.

Make sure you get the proper holster for a J1772. It costs $50 from Clipper Creek.

Originally fitted with a different interim connector for an electric car trial program that ended. This station itself had minimal to moderate use; it is now fitted with a new 25ft J1772 cord/connector, tested, and is compatible with all major plug-in cars

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-40-J1772-EV-charger-/261150096338?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccdc23bd2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Originally fitted with a different interim connector for an electric car trial program that ended."

z0ner said:
Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-40-J1772-EV-charger-/261150096338?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccdc23bd2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Originally fitted with a different interim connector for an electric car trial program that ended."

I purchase one of these for $550 + Shipping, purchased 50 feet of #8 wire at Home Depot (3 wires Red, Green, Black), 50 feet of Aluminum Flex Conduit, Tie Downs, Connectors, and 40 amp 2 pole breaker for a total spend of $130, and paid my electrician neighbor $50 to do the wiring connections (I ran the wire and conduit) and I am up and charging at cost of about $750. Unit works great.

nworbekim said:
There are a couple of refurbished Clipper Creek CS-40 units available on ebay. Does anyone have opinions about the pros and cons of getting a refurb CS 40 to save 30-40% over a new residential grade L2 30 amp unit?

Regards,
Mike
The ClipperCreek CS series EVSEs are sturdy, reliable, and foolproof. Hopefully these units were obtained legitimately. Hate to create a market for filched EV products.

I think a bunch of those got orphaned when the BMW/Mini-E program ended.
Someone seems to be refurbishing them and selling them.

TEG said:
I think a bunch of those got orphaned when the BMW/Mini-E program ended.
Someone seems to be refurbishing them and selling them.

I have one that I bought new, and had it installed a few days ago. I have my vehicle set to 80% through the timer, and this usually takes it to 10 bars with 120 Volt connection, but with the Clipper Creek unit, it is only going to 9 bars. Is there some quick known thing I am doing wrong, does anyone know? I will check the vehicle and EVSE manuals later, I figured I'd ask on-forum in case it is a quick known-issue.

I wonder how many times you used your L2 and how many times you got 9 bars? Battery controller regulate charging so your evse choice should have no effect. Wonder what is your car production date that is posted on the frame of driver side door?

Looks like the seller has posted another Clipper Creek for sale. This time is it a CS-60 with a 75Amp cord. Seems like quite a good deal. (I am not the seller or in anyway affiliated.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-60-J1772-60-Amp-EV-Charger-Level-2-Charger-/261160295521?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3cce5ddc61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a CS-40 without the seller's normally-added J1772 connector and cable since I have one already (and he charged me $100 less than the eBay price). The unit shipped immediately and came brand-new in the box. I could tell it had never been installed...

I'll be wiring on it this weekend to test it, but it looks to be a great deal...I haven't seen any other EVSE come close to the internal quality of the Clipper Creeks...They are built to last....

EdmondLeaf said:
I wonder how many times you used your L2 and how many times you got 9 bars? Battery controller regulate charging so your evse choice should have no effect. Wonder what is your car production date that is posted on the frame of driver side door?

Hi, my vehicle was I think June 2012 (I went out to look yesterday). I have used the Clipper Creek a couple of times so far. The first time I had a hell of a time trying to get past the charge timer on the car (kept going into standby) but finally I got the charge going. As mentioned, it "stopped short" a bit. When I then plugged in my Nissan 120 Volts (which I've been using at home every day for 3 months) it got going again to the 80% setting.

Similar the second time, although I didn't have time to remember every detail, have been very busy. Basically, the CS-40 seemed to stop a bit short while the usual 120 Volt trickle extension cord worked fine. I have only had time to glance through the instruction manual for the CS-40 while the electricians were here that were doing the install for me (I have zero knowledge in this area) but it seemed to have some different settings for TOU. I have no TOU metering to my knowledge- the local utility would not allow it do to my participation in the Sunshare program... I think that was the explanation.

My initial wild guesses as to an explanation include:

some Clipper Creek setting I should change.

noting the battles I'm having to get the charge process started but only to 80% (i.e.: not give up and just remove the timer setting, since I sometimes then accidentally charge to 100% when I don't want to). Is the higher Voltage having a bit more difficulty communicating with the vehicle? I have done a few Level II public charges... have had this issue a little bit (usually will then just try to deactive the time at that point using the button).

You have to remember that an 80% charge is just barely 10 bars of charge. Getting 9 bars on a 80% charge is pretty normal, though most people have typically seen that when it's hot out and not in cool Santa Cruz.

Now - how often do you charge to 100%? If you haven't done that in a while, charging to 100% may help you get to 10 bars when L2 charging more consistently.

I wouldn't worry your CS-40 - it is working properly.

If you're curious about 9-bar 80% charge thing, this is the big thread with all the details - I suggest continuing further discussion there.

80% Charge only 9 bars?

drees said:
You have to remember that an 80% charge is just barely 10 bars of charge. Getting 9 bars on a 80% charge is pretty normal, though most people have typically seen that when it's hot out and not in cool Santa Cruz.

Now - how often do you charge to 100%? If you haven't done that in a while, charging to 100% may help you get to 10 bars when L2 charging more consistently.

I wouldn't worry your CS-40 - it is working properly.

If you're curious about 9-bar 80% charge thing, this is the big thread with all the details - I suggest continuing further discussion there.

80% Charge only 9 bars?

Thanks, I'll make a quick estimate that I have been charging to 100% maybe once or twice per week. This is generally:

1. When I am at 80% and realize partway through the day I should take it to 100% in order to have some comfort zone for planned driving later that day.

2. When I know the night before that the next day I will have a long drive.

3. When I accidentally charge to 100% because I have a battle to get charging started and have to fiddle with toggling the timer to off or manually removing it. This has happened two or three times over the months.

On the CS-40 advice, thanks for the points, I can see from what you say that this 9/10 bar distinction is just sort of on the borderline. It's just a little clear (so far) that it charges to 9 on the CS-40, and then if I want to go to 10 I top up to 10 with the Nissan trickle charge cord without changing any settings. I'll try to read that thread a bit later.

jl

I don't think the brand of 240v EVSE has an effect on when the car stops charging as long as the car's timer is in use. I believe the stopping point for the charger is controlled by the car.

Back on-topic, I installed my eBay-purchased Clipper Creek CS-40 EVSE yesterday and, as expected, it works like a charm...A very high quality product.

And it's a bargain for the $600 price being charged by the seller. The MSRP of a new CS-40 is $1,750...

Randy said:
I don't think the brand of 240v EVSE has an effect on when the car stops charging as long as the car's timer is in use. I believe the stopping point for the charger is controlled by the car.

Correct. The LEAF stops the charge, so there is no setting in the Clipper Creek that can change that. My LEAF also only charges to 9 bars occasionally, especially since I changed it to having a STOP TIME only in the timers. There are some threads on MNL that seem to indicate it may also be related to temperature and/or battery aging.

keydiver said:
Randy said:

Correct. The LEAF stops the charge, so there is no setting in the Clipper Creek that can change that. My LEAF also only charges to 9 bars occasionally, especially since I changed it to having a STOP TIME only in the timers. There are some threads on MNL that seem to indicate it may also be related to temperature and/or battery aging.

Thanks fellow drivers. A bit of followup that last night I had another round of 10 minute battle to get it to start charging. This meant hitting the immediate charge button various times, manually removing my timer #1 to be turned off, plugging and unplugging the charger about a dozen times. Finally it started, and then while it was charging I manually went in and re-activated the timer #1 to 80%, but unfortunately it didn't matter and when I woke up I was at 100%. So, I had to take a quick drive and bleed off two or three bars so that it would not sit, and while I did that the overall yellow EV system warning light came on. I called the support number on my cell that is displayed with Carwings and got a helpful person on the line, and we struggled to figure out both issues (with the warning light necessitating a dealership visit it seems).

Finally the warning light disappeared. I'll get to a dealer when I can (this requires 1/2 day out of my time to pull off + arranging for a 70 mile or so ride home if nec.). In the meantime, I think I'll hold off on the CS-40 charging for a little until I can get a handle on why the heck I am having such a hard time getting charging started.

I'll take any suggestions I can get as to how to set the timer that might help smooth things out. I'm thinking Nissan must have had a reason for tying the 80/100% settings into the timer setting, but I wish they hadn't. The net effect thus far is that I have several times charged to 100% when I did not intend to do so. I'll try Randy's point about a stop time only (is there a time that works?). Maybe there is a good thread or two with timer setting suggestions that will be of some use in trying to eliminate these battles I'm having to get charging started.

None of this is meant to imply an assumption of any issues with the CS-40. I can understand the excitement over a great price and a good quality charger. I have no idea what's going wrong,..... quite possibly some setting that I'm not putting right on my car.

jlsoaz said:
Thanks fellow drivers. A bit of followup that last night I had another round of 10 minute battle to get it to start charging. This meant hitting the immediate charge button various times, manually removing my timer #1 to be turned off, plugging and unplugging the charger about a dozen times. Finally it started, and then while it was charging I manually went in and re-activated the timer #1 to 80%, but unfortunately it didn't matter and when I woke up I was at 100%. So, I had to take a quick drive and bleed off two or three bars so that it would not sit, and while I did that the overall yellow EV system warning light came on. ...
Really sounds like the car's at fault. I'd take it in, ASAP. You might get stranded if you ignore it.

BTW, there's no reason to be THAT paranoid about a 100% charge. The thing to avoid is doing it on a regular basis. I've had lots of times where I thought I was going somewhere, and bumped the charge to 100% only to have the situation change. No need to start driving around the block when it happens.

keydiver said:
The LEAF stops the charge, so there is no setting in the Clipper Creek that can change that. My LEAF also only charges to 9 bars occasionally, especially since I changed it to having a STOP TIME only in the timers. There are some threads on MNL that seem to indicate it may also be related to temperature and/or battery aging.

There are actually two choices on the Clipper Creek for timers (that you don't have enabled and equipped).

The first is a pin to connect a timer for ON-OFF. The second pin will switch between ON and 6 amps.

You can use the Clipper Creek only to run your charge timing.

How about this clipper creek on ebay?

I don't need an outdoor Level 2, and this seems like it'll fill the bill for a leaf. no?

go easy on me, first post here, just got the 2012 Leaf a few days ago.... leased

-Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVSE-J1772-clipper-creek-220-volt-EV-charge-cable-for-Leaf-Volt-EV-Th-nk-/130842394488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76d07f78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back