Opinions - Clipper Creek HCS-40P?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdaunno

I'm looking for opinions, good or bad, on the Clipper Creek HCS-40P. I'm planning to buy one soon once I get the 220 installed into my garage. I've heard some good things about it but curious what others think.

I've had one since mid-December.

A little bulky, requires permanent (not plug/unplug) installation.
Simple to operate, no bells and whistles (like a screen, timers, network connection).
Looks sturdy. Reviews rate it as very reliable. The price is good ($590). 25' cord.
The electrician said other models are more complicated (expensive) to install. I paid $200 in Atlanta, GA. Costs and regulations are very different in other states.

Do you have a 3.3 or a 6.6 kW on-board charger? I believe the 3.3 kW OBC wouldn't take advantage of the increased charging speed of the HCS-40.

Also available in plug-to-the-wall versions. See other threads for advantages and disadvantages.

I recommend it.

Thanks. I want the semi-portability of the HCS-40P since it's plug in. Metro doesn't show that on their website. I'm confident I can mount the unit once my electrician puts the dedicated 220 in. Glad the Clipper Creek is working well for you. I just want something easy to use with no frills.

I agree on simplicity and no frills.

Remember that the supply circuit should be rated for 50A, not 40, for the HCS-40P.

asemeco said:
I agree on simplicity and no frills.

Remember that the supply circuit should be rated for 50A, not 40, for the HCS-40P.

Actually, the HCS-40 can only put out 30 amps maximum, so a 40 amp breaker and rated wire would be just fine...

I appreciate your train of thought, but this Clipper Creek EVSE can only put out 30 amps maximum...I still think a 40 amp breaker is appropriate to handle the continuous load requirements of the NEC...

asemeco said:
As I understand it, that's for permanent installation. HCS-40P requires 50 A in the supply circuit (this is taken from the Clipper Creek website) ...
Something's fishy. Here's from the manual:
http://clippercreek.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/HCS-40-users-manual_v1.b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HCS-40Service_zps1e57a31a.png

Note that it says 50a breaker for the plug versions, but only specs 10awg wire. Personally, I think it's a typo and they meant 40a breaker for the plug in versions.

I've just emailed Clipper Creek to be sure of what I need for the breaker (50A), receptacle (15-40) and wire (10AWG). I certainly want my electrician to install the right things to support the HCS-40P. I will post a follow up once I hear back from them.

pdaunno said:
I've just emailed Clipper Creek to be sure of what I need for the breaker (50A), receptacle (15-40) and wire (10AWG). I certainly want my electrician to install the right things to support the HCS-40P. I will post a follow up once I hear back from them.
By all means get the proper info from ClipperCreek, but I'm confident that no competent electrician (or inspector) would let you put a 50a breaker in with 10AWG wire, anyway.

Back