Opportunity to buy a Leaf without waiting for months

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, IF you are actually serious about buying, it seems to me that you would check out the eBay "deal", or at least say more about what you want, and how much you are willing to pay.

What I want? Quite easy, a Leaf, now (ebay Leaf is scheduled for February). How much I would spend, no idea, but of course not a mark up of 100% or more.

flxx said:
What I want? Quite easy, a Leaf, now (ebay Leaf is scheduled for February). How much I would spend, no idea, but of course not a mark up of 100% or more.

Jesus. You want a Leaf "NOW" and week of February 3 isn't good enough?

flxx said:
So, of the 60 or so Leafs delivered to people who reserved within minutes of getting the email on 4/20 - you want one ?! LOL. Your best bet is to get that Feb one.

how dealers handle orphans is probably gonna piss someone off somewhere especially when its such a hot item.

my 2004 Prius was totaled 7 weeks before the max $3150 hybrid tax credit was supposed to expire. at the time Priuses were on a 6-8 week delay. so i immediately ordered my 2006 thinking i would be lucky to get the car before Sept 30th, 2006 which was the cut off date.

well, i ended up getting one in 3½ weeks and the reason; the person who had ordered my car, backed out of the deal when coming to pick it up. he apparently thought he could negotiate a lower price. but it was well publicized that MSRP was the lowest. mind you, at this time, the average selling price was actually about $500-1500 over MSRP.

my car was then offered to "several others" (he did not specify) who also turned Toyota down since it was not a package or color match. (i had also been offered a package 1 in black earlier and turned it down) so i ended up getting mine early. when picking up the car, i was told that had i got my car as scheduled i would have missed the Sept 30th deadline.

now, i would have to guess that Nissan would do the same, maybe at the dealer level, but a reputable dealer would simply go down the list of waiting customers.

it would be easier for them because there is only two trim packages basically with QC that must be pre installed?

flxx,

I think, given the low number of Leafs being delivered now, your chance to buy will come only after March.

This is awesome! I've received a solicitation via a stalker-ish PM to sell my Leaf from an un-named forum participant. Very exciting, as no price was specified, so I assume I will be able to set it...that's how it works, right? I'll sell this one for a tidy profit (returning my just cashed CVRP funds to Kyle of course), and use part of the proceeds to buy a Tesla to tide me over until I can get back to the front of the Leaf queue. By then I reckon they'll have a nifty green paint option, and my dreamed of "Jetsons" dynamic sound effect will be available from a third party. Excellent. I'm thinking of a number...

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

I don't think that one polite PM is particularly stalker-ish. But as others have said, those who have their LEAFs are probably seriously enthusiastic or lucky. I'm definitely in the lucky category. I cannot imagine why I got the car this early; I'm 150 miles from Los Angeles, which wasn't even one of the chosen target cities. I feel guilty every time I read posts from folks who reserved/ordered before me and don't have their cars. But, selling at this point with the paperwork already initiated for CVRP rebate and a federal tax credit on the horizon seems foolish, especially since I love the car. First washing coming up this weekend.

-Karl

I wasn't offended by the PM. More power to him, although I suspect he'll have a hard time finding someone to sell initially. I can understand why he wants the car. Good luck flxx!

So is flxx willing to pay the purchase price of the car, plus the price of the rebates that have to be repaid (i.e. a total of true MSRP), plus some premium to entice you to part with your new car? That would end up being some number of thousands over MSRP - or maybe $15,000 more then the original (California) purchaser actually ended paying??

well i guess i qualify as be an "extreme" on both april 20th and aug 31st, i was off work (glad now as i realize how much time it would have cost me on delivery time if i had waited until off work) and pretty much camped out on the computer all day waiting for the email notifications.

since i have been driving mine for 10 days now, i would have to say my diligence paid off.

DaveinOlyWA said:
well i guess i qualify as be an "extreme" on both april 20th and aug 31st, i was off work (glad now as i realize how much time it would have cost me on delivery time if i had waited until off work) and pretty much camped out on the computer all day waiting for the email notifications.

since i have been driving mine for 10 days now, i would have to say my diligence paid off.

I was at home waiting for the email in April and completed the response/reservation within minutes of the 2:27pm pacific arrival. I'm sure I was done by 2:30, but I am waiting for my car to be delivered in April at this point. Very frustrating.

LakeLeaf said:
So is flxx willing to pay the purchase price of the car, plus the price of the rebates that have to be repaid (i.e. a total of true MSRP), plus some premium to entice you to part with your new car? That would end up being some number of thousands over MSRP - or maybe $15,000 more then the original (California) purchaser actually ended paying??

Yes, it´s clear that we´re talking about 40k+ :)

7,5k tax credit should remain valid for the first owner

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

How will IRS know that the car has really been in service?!

palmermd said:
I was at home waiting for the email in April and completed the response/reservation within minutes of the 2:27pm pacific arrival. I'm sure I was done by 2:30, but I am waiting for my car to be delivered in April at this point. Very frustrating.

I completed my reservation on 4/20 at 1:33 PST. Either your memory is incorrect, your email arrived later for some reason, or you didn't see it for an hour or so.

emails arrived at different times for different areas. mine arrived at 2:55 and there is no doubt that i saw it pretty much immediately.

there were numerous reports on FB of people completing their registrations waaay before me which made me do a refresh about every 2-3 minutes waiting for the email to come in

WWBD said:
palmermd said:

I completed my reservation on 4/20 at 1:33 PST. Either your memory is incorrect, your email arrived later for some reason, or you didn't see it for an hour or so.

Are you completely sure WWBD? Fog of time and all that?

My recollection (documented in the image below) is that the emails started to arrive around 2:27pm as well. I think we decided that anyone reserving within the first 13 minutes should have had their car by now!

leaf_res.jpg

mwalsh said:
My recollection (documented in the image below) is that the emails started to arrive around 2:27pm as well. I think we decided that anyone reserving within the first 13 minutes should have had their car by now!

Your recollection is the same as mine about the email arrival, but hat was a bad decision regarding the delivery because it was incorrect. I know for sure when I completed the reservation process (I was sitting at home waiting for the mail and like you was on some forums watching others who were also waiting) and that is why it is so frustrating that I don't have a car now and I've been bumped to April.

Back