Options for a business with an existing NEMA 14-60 outlet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlino

There's a restaurant/hotel in a semi-rural area not far from me that attracts a lot of tourists.

Last time I passed by, I noticed a NEMA 14-60 outlet on the building's side. I believe it is being underused, since I had to clear a cobweb to lift the cap and read the outlet's specs.

I'd like to approach them about using this resource to attract EVs. Which would be their most cost effective option?

Having a 14-60 plug attached to a charging station?
Removing the 14-60 outlet and having a charging station hard-wired?

If they don't go for installing anything, I'll propose they simply allow drivers to plug directly into to the 14-60.

This would work for me with the EVSE upgrade and universal NEMA 14 adapter, but Tesla drivers will usually only have individual 14-30 and 14-50 adapters. Am I right to assume that they could purchase an adapter to accommodate Teslas?

I'd say that to attract the general public, they'd do best to install an EVSE, that way any EV could use it. Local codes may or may not require them to hard wire it. Second choice would be to change the breaker to 50a, and the outlet to a 14-50, which more people would be likely to have an adapter for...but many folks would be unable to use it.

Back