Our daughter got her driver's license in the LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong at all with learning to drive on a stick shift. I got my license in '68 and one of the school cars was a '57 Chevy with a 3 speed on the column. The mainstream cars we used were GM products with highly overboosted power steering and brakes (yuck).

I took (and passed) my DL exam in my parents' '66 Ford Galaxie w/390 V8 and auto trans. It was a boat. I hated driving it.

My cars as a teen and 20 year old were a '69 VW beetle w/4 speed and then a '78 Accord w/5 speed. Put 224k miles on the Accord and traded it for a '91 Mazda pickup w/auto which I still have and my son drives.

I'm ordering a 2013 Leaf this fall. I lived in Smyrna during my elementary days where my dad was stationed at the now closed Sewart AFB. Lookin' forward to driving that 1 speed Leaf! Wife drives a 2010 Camry Hybrid which we love.

RegGuheert said:
jkirkebo said:
But you are allowed to drive a manual transmission car even if you don't know how to do it ? Weird...(and dangerous I think)
Maybe a little dangerous, but just a little. Frankly, it is probably more dangerous to try to learn to drive a manual while trying to learn to drive at the same time. IMO it is better to learn driving first with an automatic and then learn to drive a manual once the other tasks are familiar.
I agree, it isn't that hard to learn to drive a manual transmission if one is already familiar with the other skills of driving. When I got my first manual transmission car at age 19 my father taught me to drive it (including how to not "ride the clutch") in an hour or so and then I later used the car to teach my sister and a friend. (Since that time I have accumulated 400K miles on manual transmission cars and have very little experience with automatics.)

I think it would have been really hard to learn to drive in the days before synchromesh manual transmissions! Modern manuals are pretty easy to learn for someone who already knows how to drive an automatic.

ksnogas2112 said:
jkirkebo said:
Hmm. Over here one must take the driving test in a car with a manual transmission if one wants to be able to drive such a car later. You can take the test in an EV or car with automatic transmission, but then your driver's license will show that you aren't allowed to drive cars with manual transmissions. Because of this, nearly no-one takes the driving test in an automatic transmission car.

Is this different in the US ?

Yes it's different here. Here you get a driver's license for any car up to a specific weight which is basically anything as light as a Ford Fiesta or as heavy as a Ford F-350 pickup. In fact it is very hard to find a manual transmission car to buy and harder to find anyone who can actually drive one. My Leaf is only the second car I've had in the last 28 years that was not a manual transmission.
You mean as heavy as a RV or U-haul sized moving truck!

jkirkebo,
The US driving education & testing systems need strengthening in a lot more ways than auto vs manual transmissions IMHO. The shifting is the easy part to learn as others have said here.

It's a slight twist to the original thread, but an interesting one.

Here in the UK (as with the rest of Europe) learning to drive is pretty intensive compared to the U.S. My wife had been driving in the US since 1987 but found she had to take the test twice here to pass when she moved here in 2004!

In the UK, you have to take your driving test in multiple parts.

1) a theoretical test testing your knowledge of the road rules, signs etc.
2) a hazard perception test, in which you are played video from an in-car camera and asked to spot the hazards.
3) a practical test with an examiner.

In addition in the UK, you can't drive before the age of 17 in a car. You can drive a quadricycle (small, underpowered four-wheeler) at the age of 16 with basic training, but it has to have a maximum speed equal to that of most modern NEVs. Since that rule comes into effect on January 19, no-one is using it yet.

As already mentioned, if you pass your test in a stick shift, you can drive both types of car. If you pass in an automatic, your license is stamped with auto only. This makes it particularly difficult if you're hiring a car or truck, as most hire vehicles in Europe are stick shift.

For motorcycles, it's even tougher.

As of January 19 this year, the old test system will be replaced with something even more stringent.

Basically, for motorcycles, if you start riding a moped aged 16, and find yourself progressing through various motorcycle sizes and classes, you'll have taken four practical tests (each has two parts), plus compulsory basic training, as well as hazard perception and theory tests.

The idea is to try and minimize the number of bikers on the road who are underprepared for bigger bikes. If you start learning and are over 24 when you start (I was 31 when I got my motorcycle licence) you can take tuition and go to the top of the class with a single test, provided the motorcycle you take has more than a 15kW power output.

Back to driving tests in Leafs ;)

There's now a driving school in the UK which teaches driving in a Leaf. -- the guy said it took a while to get the car modified to have dual control pedals (a requirement I believe for official driving instruction cars here) but it's now all set up and does a lovely job!

Like some of you, my kids are waaaay too young to start driving yet. We've got two EVs and a Prius, and my kids have never know life without an EV since we adopted them three years ago.

My eldest regularly moans about taking the "Gas-guzzling, dinosaur-killing" Prius on trips, and keeps asking me when we're going to convert it to a Plug-In. They also moan when going in someone else's non EV, which is a tad embarrassing. (Still, they helped the grandparents in VA buy a Volt so all is good!)

When my eldest turns 16, I'm seriously considering getting a restricted Twizy for them instead of a moped. As that's five years away, I've got some time to save up.

There's a local off-road driving school which teaches 11-16 year olds how to drive in full-size gas cars. My eldest wanted to go until he found out that it was gas cars only. We turned up in my Twizy, and he said. "But we could give them our Leaf or Twizy for the day!?!"

Ah... if only it were that easy :)

In the nice parking-lot first-driving video, I noticed
that the car's headrests had been removed.

Other than safety and cosmetic issues, are there
any legal issues in driving without the headrests?

I'm not sure if it is still this way but years ago in many states, if you took your driving test in a car with an automatic transmission, your license had a limitation on it that it was only valid for an automatic. It made sense then and it still does today. However, I suspect that political correctness and public stupidity has caused that limitation to disappear in most states these days...

Frankly, U.S. driver training and testing is a farce and more of a money generator than anything else. My favorite was when California eliminated the parallel parking requirement years back because too many were failing it!

jkirkebo said:
Hmm. Over here one must take the driving test in a car with a manual transmission if one wants to be able to drive such a car later. You can take the test in an EV or car with automatic transmission, but then your driver's license will show that you aren't allowed to drive cars with manual transmissions. Because of this, nearly no-one takes the driving test in an automatic transmission car. Is this different in the US ?

TomT said:
Frankly, U.S. driver training and testing is a farce and more of a money generator than anything else. My favorite was when California eliminated the parallel parking requirement years back because too many were failing it!
Methinks that until you have experienced training and testing in all 50 states, you shouldn't paint them all with the same brush as California. ;)

ebill3 said:
TomT said:
Methinks that until you have experienced training and testing in all 50 states, you shouldn't paint them all with the same brush as California. ;)
But you can get license in one place and drive everywhere - infact get a different state's license by just taking the written exam.

I've experiences with them in a number of states and, in fact, did not take my original driver's license test in California... New Jersey, at least back in the late 60s and early 70s, had one of the best driving tests in the nation. It was very rigorous and tough. They also had a very impressive state-run vehicle inspection program. I suspect both of those have been thoroughly dismantled by now...

Regardless, I stand by my statement: By the standards of most of the first-world developed motorized countries, U.S. State driver licensing requirements and tests are a complete farce.

By the way, I took my first driving test in an AMC Rambler with a floor-mounted twin stick manual transmission (the second stick was an overdrive shifter). I also have a Class A commercial and Class M motorcycle endorsement on my license...

ebill3 said:
TomT said:

evnow said:
But you can get license in one place and drive everywhere - infact get a different state's license by just taking the written exam.
Really? Can you do that in WA? It has been a long time since I traded my Pennsylvania license for Washington, but I sure as heck did the whoe bit.

ebill3 said:
evnow said:
Really? Can you do that in WA? It has been a long time since I traded my Pennsylvania license for Washington, but I sure as heck did the whoe bit.
Yes - thats what we did when we moved here 8 years back. I did the same thing in MO as well.

TomT said:
I've experiences with them in a number of states and, in fact, did not take my original driver's license test in California... New Jersey, at least back in the late 60s and early 70s, had one of the best driving tests in the nation. It was very rigorous and tough. They also had a very impressive state-run vehicle inspection program. I suspect both of those have been thoroughly dismantled by now...

Regardless, I stand by my statement: By the standards of most of the first-world developed motorized countries, U.S. State driver licensing requirements and tests are a complete farce.

By the way, I took my first driving test in an AMC Rambler with a floor-mounted twin stick manual transmission (the second stick was an overdrive shifter). I also have a Class A commercial and Class M motorcycle endorsement on my license...
As you wish, Tom.

And I will also stand by mine. Your impressive licensing credentials and having been licensed in a "number" of states, still does not qualify you to pass judgment on the entire nation. :)

Bill

Humm. I picked up my 2012 leaf a few days after my daughter turned 4. It'll be the perfect car for her to drive to high school in just over a decade. it'll have just enough range to get her there and back and keep her from driving anywhere else!

evnow said:
ebill3 said:
evnow said:
Yes - thats what we did when we moved here 8 years back. I did the same thing in MO as well.
That's the way it is/was in Colorado also: written test only. However, in the '60s I do recall that California required the driving test for my parents, who had Hawaiian licenses.
TomT said:
...My favorite was when California eliminated the parallel parking requirement years back because too many were failing it!
My father was the only person I personally knew who got 100 on the California driving test in those days. I presume that it has changed somewhat from then if they no longer require parallel parking (I got 6 points off for being unable to do parallel parking on a steep hill when I took the test on my sixteenth birthday in the family station wagon; nowadays I don't even remember the last time I had to parallel park since it just isn't done in rural areas, we don't have paved roads in many places, much less curbs and sidewalks).

In those days high schools had both driver training and driver education classes. I think those are long gone in the school curriculum in most states now. Question for those with children learning to drive: is driving instruction taught in high schools where you live?

I'm on my 8th state. Only one has even asked me to do a written test, and that's the current one (IN). Pretty basic test but rather queerly slanted towards recognizing the type of road sign from color/shape - as if they fear you may be unable to read "stop" but will recognize a red octagon. I suppose illiterate people need to drive too, but I suspect they would have more problems with the pencil and paper test itself than with sign recognition.... None of the others needed anything beyond a vision test to get a new license when I moved there. I have taken driving tests in two countries, but only one in the US - St. Louis, Missouri as it happens, where parallel parking in the city at least is an essential skill since so few houses have garages

My favorite had to be Nebraska - walked into DMV a week or two after moving there and walked out with plates and license in hand 20 minutes later.

So, prove me wrong and give me at least one state that has truly aggressive and comprehensive written and practical licensing tests... (I thought it might still be NJ but I checked and they abandoned the program I referenced some time ago...)

ebill3 said:
And I will also stand by mine. Your impressive licensing credentials and having been licensed in a "number" of states, still does not qualify you to pass judgment on the entire nation. :) Bill

Way to go passing the driving test in an EV! I think an EV is perfect for a parent provided first car. The limited range will keep your kid from taking the car on a trip to Key West when you are out of town. (This really happened to my ex-wife and our teenaged children)

The driver's licensing program was no cake walk in Ohio in the mid 80's, but I can't speak for current times. We had to pass driver's ed, which included watching hours of gore in the form of accident scene videos, and drive for many hours, which I did in winter on icy roads. You had to first pass drivers ed to qualify for the driving test. As far as manual or automatic, most cars here are automatic anyway. Proper testing isn't the problem in the states, it is lack of enforcement. I have sent dash camera videos to the state police, and I think dash cameras are the future of enforcment. If you know nearly everyone has a dash cam, and you know you will be fined for doing something really stupid, you will likely not do it. That includes littering folks! My dash camera has built in GPS, push button recording with 30 second pre-record, g force sensors for automatic recording, and it stamps this information on the video. It also includes audio, so I can read a plate number out loud. They run about $100, and many commercial truck drivers use them already.

kentuckyleaf said:
I have sent dash camera videos to the state police, and I think dash cameras are the future of enforcment. ... My dash camera has built in GPS, push button recording ... It also includes audio, ...
More info, please. Link to an online purchase for this product ? (TIA)

Back