Our leaf was in a accident and there is lots of damage.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
wheelspin said:
... He didn't "run" the stop sign he just didn't fully stop is what happened if that is anymore accurate. ...
If he didn't come to a complete stop, he DID run the stop sign. More importantly he didn't wait until the cross traffic was clear before proceeding.
Agreed. If he had a stop sign and you didn't, it shouldn't be a problem assigning blame to him.

As its Allstate (same as mine for my 'regular' cars) did you happen to get the 'new car replacement' ?? For next to nothing, any new car I own gets a new car replacement within the first two years of ownership if it gets the amount of damage that this one looks like it has ... no worries on if the totaled car doesn't equate in value to the brand new one, they make up any difference. Most also have first accident forgiveness so would assume if its a split 'blame' you should be OK as well, if again you've been with them for awhile and haven't had any recent fender benders. Shame about the car though, keep us posted on how you make out ...

I had a brand new 95 altima that I crashed a month after buying it.
The insurance company paid $13k to fix it. I only paid $16k to buy it. So I never assume a car will be totaled...

turbo2ltr said:
I had a brand new 95 altima that I crashed a month after buying it.
The insurance company paid $13k to fix it. I only paid $16k to buy it. So I never assume a car will be totaled...

My 86 CRX was rear ended at a red light. AAA paid over $5,000 to repair it, I paid $6,500 for it new about a year earlier.

With front end damage like that, I'll lay odds they'll want to assign at least partial responsibility to you, saying that you should have been able to take evasive measures. Not true...maybe. Not fair...definitely. You'd probably have been in better shape if he'd broadsided you.

Insurance-wise -- not health-wise. The occupants' heads would have been all over the place. Stiff necks at best, paralyzed below neck at worst.

So...no, being broadsided is no fun for no money in the world.

What do you guys think of this plan: If I take it to a Nissan Dealer with a body shop and get them to quote a slightly higher estimate so the insurance company supplements the original estimate of $13,400. Then just sell the battery to someone on this forum (or another place that you Leafers would recommend to sell it) and the rest of the car would just go to a yard? Thoughts? How much would 8 month old battery that has only been charged with the trickle charger be worth? TIA

I can't imagine that causing the Leaf to be totaled ("write-off" in UK-speak). The hood didn't even buckle.

what will happen to this Leaf? will insurance company sell it on Copart auction?
or is it still to purchase from original owner? Asking because I would be interested to buy damaged Leaf, in my view
there is not soooo big damage and it could be repaired. I'm outside USA so don't know regulations for damaged cars/insurance deals.

Back