Overhead of main drive inverter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballs

Anybody know what the overhead energy usage of the main drive inverter is? I mean if I turn the car on (drive mode, not accessory mode) and let it sit in park with the inverter humming along, how long will the battery last?

The dash energy display shows a draw of around 250 watts when the car is on and in Park with the Climate Control and audio system off.

kballs said:
Anybody know what the overhead energy usage of the main drive inverter is? I mean if I turn the car on (drive mode, not accessory mode) and let it sit in park with the inverter humming along, how long will the battery last?

TomT said:
The dash energy display shows a draw of around 250 watts when the car is on and in Park with the Climate Control and audio system off.

kballs said:

That is for all car systems in total.

Does the drive inverter even run when in PARK? I wouldn't think so. The power
MosFets switch according to the speed and position of the rotor, turing on
the appropriate field coils. I would be surprised if the draw was significant
when not moving.

from a non-geek,
if it draws 250 watts, how does that translate to reducing capacity of battery every 10 minutes or half hours?

I'm not sure if the humming is the inverter, cooling pump, or fan, but something is humming under the hood when in park (climate control off).

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I didn't think to look through the console displays (I never look in there for every-day use, so out of sight out of mind :) ).

kballs said:
I'm not sure if the humming is the inverter, cooling pump, or fan, but something is humming under the hood when in park (climate control off).

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I didn't think to look through the console displays (I never look in there for every-day use, so out of sight out of mind :) ).

It's not the inverter, it does nothing until the accell is depressed or your foot is off the brake in "D". There are several pups in the car, that is whatt you hear.

EVDRIVER said:
There are several pups in the car, that is what you hear.

? :
stop-puppy-barking-image.jpg
dog-barking.jpg
? :lol:

All inverters are going to draw *something* when powered up.

The inverters I've used typically have a powered up mode and a gating mode. When the inverter is gating, you can hear the high pitched, constant frequency whine. You can hear this in the leaf but it's much quieter than the motor whine so it's hard to hear.

At the very least, even if not gating, you are going to draw enough to power the electronics (all the inverters I've used are powered by the high voltage, not sure if this is also true for the leaf), as well as any leakage current of the caps in the inverter, which probably isn't going to be much.

While gating but not applying torque, IIRC, our 42kW inverters draw about 450W.

LOL TEG! It seems the pumps aren't thermostatically controlled then since they run in park with everything cold... wasteful but cheaper design, and doesn't eat into the range much (kind of like the remaining incandescent lights).

I think there may be some confusion due to the term "inverter". The "traction motor inverter" in the LEAF
is not a traditional inverter where you put in x volts DC and get x*y volts AC out. It does produce 3 phase
AC, but only when the motor needs to turn. It's output is connected directly to the motor windings. The
standby current would be very small.

TMI.jpg

The inverter itself probably accounts for a insignificant amount of the LEAF's total overhead. There are several pumps constantly circulating coolant, the DC-DC converter that keeps the 12V system running, contactor coils, many computers and ECU's, the CM displays and the main head unit are all sucking power. Seems to vary from 150-250w total, depending on what's on. It's about the same as in a Prius, actually. This is about what a typical desktop PC uses, so it's not all that bad in the sceme of things.

There is room for improvement here, but it's probably low on the priority list. I'd much rather them work on improving the UI (User Interface), as there are so many issues!

-Phil

I guess my brain was turned off when I replied. The motors we use aren't PM motors so we always have a draw for the magnetizing current even when not moving. Apples and oranges.

Back