Own a 2013 Leaf... should I upgrade to a newer year?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, but I own a Nissan Leaf model S with the CHAdeMO charger and wonder if I should upgrade to a newer year? Are there any perks to any of the newer year models of the leaf? The main thing I wanted from the leaf was the 6kw charger and the CHAdeMO port. The CHAdeMO port is such a convenience I have used it for free a handful of times and it feels so good to have it. I think the main reason to upgrade would be more range , but I think all leaf years have the same range. I could probably like the navigation upgrade and also the cruise control, and a camera or two on the side (If the leaf has any), but my main reasonis that I originally wanted a bigger car.

Okay, so in reality I wanted to get a bigger EV and ended up making this LIST of EVs and their sizes along with motors:

SM = Sport Mode
ft³ = Cargo Room

106" L x 61" W x 61" H 07.8ft³, 12.0ft³ Smart fortwo electric 74 Hp & 96lb-ft SM?(NO)
142" L x 64" W x 60" H ????ft³, ????ft³ FIAT 500e 111 Hp & 147lb-ft SM?(NO)
145" L x 62" W x 64" H 13.2ft³, 50.4ft³ Mitsubishi i-MiEV 66 Hp & 145lb-ft SM?(NO)
147" L x 64" W x 63" H 09.6ft³, 23.4ft³ Chevrolet Spark EV 130 Hp & 327lb-ft SM?(YES!) 140 Hp & 402lb-ft
157" L x 70" W x 62" H 02.8ft³, 11.8ft³ BMW i3 170 Hp & 184lb-ft SM?(NO)
162" L x 68" W x 62" H 12.0ft³, 49.4ft³ Honda Fit EV 101 Hp & 189?lb-ft SM?(YES!) 123 Hp & 189lb-ft
163" L x 71" W x 63" H 18.8ft³, 49.5ft³ Kia Soul EV ??? Hp & ???lb-ft SM?(YES!) 109 Hp & 210lb-ft
168" L x 71" W x 57" H 22.8ft³, 52.7ft³ E-golf 115 Hp & 199lb-ft SM?(NO)
173" L x 70" W x 62" H 17.2ft³, 54.6ft³ Mercedes-Benz B Electric Drive 177 Hp & ??lb-ft SM?(Y) ???
173" L x 72" W x 58" H 14.5ft³, 33.9ft³ Ford Focus Electric 143 Hp & 184lb-ft SM?(NO?)
175" L x 70" W x 61" H 24.0ft³, 30.0ft³ Nissan LEAF 107 Hp & 187lb-ft SM?(NO)
180" L x 72" W x 66" H 36.4ft³, 73.0ft³ Toyota RAV4 EV 154 Hp & 220lb-ft SM?(YES!) 154 Hp & 273lb-ft
196" L x 77" W x 57" H Tesla Model S (Fastest EV)
197" L x 82" W x 64" H Tesla Model X (Just as Fast)

223"(175+48) L x 70" W x 61" H Nissan LEAF limousine 107 Hp & 187lb-ft SM?(NO)

Above the nissan leaf is the rav4 EV, but the RAV happens to have this huge battery pack which takes longer to charge on public stations (Live in APT can't install special charging unit) and also it has not chademo port. I think I was told 5.4hrs from 20 to 80% for rav while with my leaf I think it only takes 2 hrs with the 6kw charger. I also can't afford a model S and the leaf Limo starts at around 35k for the job.

Not sure which would be better... Limo? RAV4 EV? Upgrade leaf year? The thing about the Limo is that once you do the cut the warranty is gone, so any repairs will be on me which makes it more expensive. The rav4 ev would still be under warranty and so would a leaf year upgrade so, it is difficult to decide.

I think a Nissan Leaf Limo would be so awesome though. Even better if you could get another battery pack in there to boost the range. Nissan leaf Limo with over 100 miles anyone? Then, once those 200+miles leaf packs come out... maybe a salvage one.. or two... and... close to 400 mile range leaf limo?! Or maybe do a RAV4 EV Limo, but I have a feeling it would be more expensive to repair because of the special tesla parts plus it is discontinued.

I wonder if a nissan dealer could do a limo stretch and still keep the car under warranty since it was done in the dealer shop? Would the cut and stretch from a non nissan dealer invalidate all of the warranties? Bumper, power train, and battery?... Thoughts?

The only real advantage of a 2015 over the 2013 is the supposedly more heat tolerant battery. If you have a Leaf S, the 2015 models include B mode and cruise control as well. A regular backup camera became standard on all 2014's, with Around View still optional as part of the Premium Package on the SV and SL models.

If you want more range than previously available, you will need to wait for the 2016 SV and SL (but not Leaf S) models, or get a different car.

I don't know of any Nissan dealer who will do a limo stretch, and yes it will invalidate your warranty to do a modification that drastic.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for getting back to me :). I think the cruise control would be nice, but not sure if it would warrant the car upgrade. I think range would also be nice, but really deep down inside what I really want is a little bit more size. The logical upgrade would be the RAV4 EV going by the list, but the longer charge time for the rav and just barely extra range makes me wonder if I should dish out the 30-35k for a 2014. I think if it had a CHAdeMO port I would totally grab it, but it doesn't and the only upgrade I see online for that is 2500 I believe. Now that the 2016 leaf will be 107 miles it almost brings it on par with the rav4 EV which I think is 109. That pretty much takes out my range upgrade excuse out of the question. Sure it has more power and speed, but I'm no racer :). The extra size though is still tempting.

I've actually been waiting for the E-NV200 but it has not come out yet. There is actually a company called Zenith Motors that sell electric ram promasters with as much power and torque as a rav4 ev. The smallest is a 213 inches long ram promaster just smaller than my old chevy express van. Thing is they cost 99k, but california has a HVIP program that knocks 50k off. Plus another 5k if you garage it in specific locations. This program is only for comercial vehicles, but my family has a small family owned bussinessn which we could put it under. I was also just told that in a couple of months they will offer CHAdeMO for their vans.... for 10k. Their vans charge at 6kw base and upgradeable to 12kw charger (Still need special charger). Thing is racking up the 54k+ for it.

NissanLeafCamper said:
There is actually a company called Zenith Motors that sell electric ram promasters with as much power and torque as a rav4 ev. The smallest is a 213 inches long ram promaster just smaller than my old chevy express van. Thing is they cost 99k, but california has a HVIP program that knocks 50k off. Plus another 5k if you garage it in specific locations. This program is only for comercial vehicles, but my family has a small family owned bussinessn which we could put it under. I was also just told that in a couple of months they will offer CHAdeMO for their vans.... for 10k. Their vans charge at 6kw base and upgradeable to 12kw charger (Still need special charger). Thing is racking up the 54k+ for it.

I mentioned the VIA Motors-converted GM PHEV van in another thread of yours, but this could work as well, and makes far more sense than making a stretch limo Leaf. Do they make a version for the ProMaster City? That would be their answer to the eNV-200.

Hi Ron. Actually they use the Ram Cargo 2500 to 3500. The 3500 they are able to turn it into a shuttle for passengers from what I read on their website. The 2500 which they call the 136 (Not listed on their site yet) is the smaller van that is almost as long as my Chevy Express. I believe it is a foot shorter than the chevy express. I re call the via motors, but those are just as expensive as the ones from Zenith and I am not sure if they qualify for the HVIP program. Besides electric is so much cleaner I'm not sure why I'd want to go hybrid :). I wish they'd make the pro master city, but at least with the smaller 136 model you'd have a nice base to custom make a camper if you have the time :). They come with the high top so you can easily stand inside no problem!

NissanLeafCamper said:
Above the nissan leaf is the Rav4 EV, but the RAV happens to have this huge battery pack which takes longer to charge on public stations (Live in APT can't install special charging unit) and also it has not chademo port. I think I was told 5.4hrs from 20 to 80% for rav while with my leaf I think it only takes 2 hrs with the 6kw charger.
Your concern about charging time with the Rav makes no sense. Since when is having a "huge battery pack" a downside?!

The Rav has a 10kW charger, so it will never charge slower than a Leaf. On many 208V/30A public charging stations, the difference won't really matter, but if you can find a 240V and/or 40A+ charging station the Rav's more powerful charger will shine. One common use case where you can use nearly the full 10kW capability of the Rav is at RV parks, which usually have 240V/50A receptacles available.

Beyond that, looking at charge times and not charge rate is silly. If you really care about a faster charge time, then get a Plug in Prius! Its tiny battery will probably fill in less than an hour! :lol:

The Rav is the obvious choice for you, and thanks to Tony Williams CHAdeMO is now available on it. In fact I think Tony's currently selling one of his with CHAdeMO already added.

I also second the recommendation for a VIA van conversion - they actually have a couple of those at my work and they look pretty cool. They're around $75k I think but that depreciation credit thing probably applies.

I'm restricted to public charging stations only so I am not sure if I can get access to the higher level charging of the RAV4 EV. I actually don't end up going to RV parks :( I have not really looked into one around the places I go to. Not sure how much they would charge. If the rav4 and the leaf are charging at the same rate.. shouldn't the rav take longer due to the bigger pack? I'm used to charging the leaf for about 1 hour a day or 2 if I really drain it, but I was told it could take 5.4 hours for the rav to fully charge publicly. The thing about the CHAdeMo upgrade on the rav4ev .... I believe it invalidates the warranty :( So in the end if it breaks down it would become really expensive. How much are the tesla parts I wonder?

I just want a bigger vehicle and after making an ev list I already have one of the bigger ones. After the leaf is the rav4 ev. Then model S and finally Model X though the limo with an extra 4 feet is actually the biggest out of all of them.

There is also an electric Ram promaster from zenith motors but that one costs 99k.

I believe what he was saying about the charge time not mattering is that the better question is how much time do you need to charge to go the distance you need to go.

For instance, I routinely have my Leaf on Long-Life mode which stops the charging at 80%. That charge level is fine for most of my use. In such a case, it doesn't matter how long it takes to fully charge a larger battery, just how long does it take to add enough miles, hence the charging rate.

Another way to look at it. If you buy the Tesla with a 200+ mile range but never drive it over 80 miles, then you should look at how long it takes to add 80 miles of range, not how long it takes to charge it to full from zero.

DarthPuppy said:
I believe what he was saying about the charge time not mattering is that the better question is how much time do you need to charge to go the distance you need to go.

For instance, I routinely have my Leaf on Long-Life mode which stops the charging at 80%. That charge level is fine for most of my use. In such a case, it doesn't matter how long it takes to fully charge a larger battery, just how long does it take to add enough miles, hence the charging rate.

Another way to look at it. If you buy the Tesla with a 200+ mile range but never drive it over 80 miles, then you should look at how long it takes to add 80 miles of range, not how long it takes to charge it to full from zero.
Exactly. Just because your car has a bigger battery doesn't mean you're going to drive more. What matters is miles added per hour - comparing 20% to 80% or 0% to 100% or whatever times for cars with different pack sizes is comparing apples and oranges.

My daily drive is about 40 miles but there are days I go about 70 miles. There are also very rare days that I do with 100 miles but those are pretty rare. Knowing so far that I can't charge at home I tend to try and always charge as often as possible. Mainly it would be about an hour or so, but there are times I need that two hour top up. Next semester I will be doing much more driving and likely will use up at least 70 miles :( its because of school

Back