Plans for replacement when lease runs out?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailgate1234

I am not so sure I want to get a new LEAF when my lease runs out next year. I don't see much change in the current/expected 2014 model, and there are lots of new cars coming on the market, e.g. the i3. Also, the economics don't make sense to me to buy out the lease, even with the $100/mo battery rental option. My thinking is to maybe wait until the next gen LEAF comes out or the i3 becomes widely available and not subject to huge additional dealer markup.

For those early adopters with 3-year leases on 2011 models ending in the spring, what are your plans?

I very highly doubt my next EV will be a Leaf, and I most definitely will not even remotely consider buying out the lease. It's time to move on to something better (and by that, I mean the battery and lack of TMS)...

Plan to pick up a used leaf when my lease runs out in 15 months.
Plan to buy one thats lived in pacific northwest.
Residual will be to high on my 2013, figure i can get a 2011 for a nice price.

I am very happy with my LEAF but when the lease runs out I am going to get something else. I have a I-MiEV that I own and a leased LEAF. Although the LEAF is a much nicer car, they are pretty much doing the same task for me. I would like to get a PHEV to replace the LEAF. My first thought was a Volt as the new platform was going to be coming out around the time my lease expires. However, it looks like the new Delta platform Volt might be as late as a 2017 model. Another possible choice is the Mitsibushi Outlander PHEV which should be here next year--if Mitsibushi still is. It has a 12 KWH pack good for about 30 miles of range. It is very interesting in how many different modes you can run the hybrid system---pure electric, parallel hybrid or series hybrid. The downshot on the Outlander (like the I-MiEV) is that it doesn't appear to have any viable TMS. However, the Yuasa/Mitsibushi battery joint venture is claiming to have developed a new battery that is fine up to 45 C temperatures. We'll see.

Epi117 said:
Plan to pick up a used leaf when my lease runs out in 15 months.
Plan to buy one thats lived in pacific northwest.
Residual will be to high on my 2013, figure i can get a 2011 for a nice price.
It's hard to say but for me, it really depends on what the PHEV/EV picture looks like when my lease runs out in 2 years, coupled w/my job situation and commute length.

Assuming an EV w/Leaf-like range still works for me, I might consider picking up a used Leaf at end of lease, but probably not an '11. It'd likely be a used '13. I love the around-view monitor. I find the Bose stereo to be more than acceptable and it seems like the heat pump heater is pretty efficient (per the LCD). I've actually used it a few times already. I also like the 6 kW OBC. None of these exist on the pre-'13 Leafs.

(And, yes I'm able to take advantage of the higher charge rate w/the free juice at my work and the free public charging stations at the Santa Clara County Water District office.)

To me, an '11 Leaf 2 years from now could be risky because the OBC is only warranted for 5 years/60K miles and seems prone to being blown. And, who knows how degraded the battery will be, by then? Obviously, one in a mild climate (e.g. lived in PNW) would help.

I suspect all the lease returns will depress used Leaf values, coupled w/(theoretically) increased competition. Or, I might just lease another EV/PHEV.

My lease on my 2012 SV did not run out, but the car was totaled and I replaced it with a 2013 SL. I am paying a lot less on a monthly basis than I was. The 2013 gets fewer m/kWh than my 2012, but the battery seems to have more capacity, so my range is no worse. I achieved 101 miles on a single charge yesterday, with less than 400 miles on the car.

N1ghtrider said:
My lease on my 2012 SV did not run out, but the car was totaled and I replaced it with a 2013 SL. I am paying a lot less on a monthly basis than I was. The 2013 gets fewer m/kWh than my 2012, but the battery seems to have more capacity, so my range is no worse. I achieved 101 miles on a single charge yesterday, with less than 400 miles on the car.
Roy, could you comment about any of the changes (aside from the reported energy economy figure), and how your 2013 LEAF compares to the 2012? Were these changes worthwhile in your opinion? If so, is there anything you would change?

If the choice of EVs is close to what it is now and my financial situation does not change drastically we will be moving to a Teslsa Model S. We only have the Leaf and I never want to own another ICE. We currently rent an ICE for the few longer trips we make. Nissan is not committed to any real DC quick charge infrastructure and I am convinced Tesla is. I will know for sure by the time my lease expires in 2015.
I realize they are not in the same price category but the model S seems to be the only EV with range to meet all my driving needs.

Not exactly the answer to the question asked, but I leased my 2013 as a 'consolation prize' for not being able to afford to retire yet. When the lease is up I'll retire, and then, unless I decide to get a PT job delivering something (on the QT) to pay the lease on another one - probably a Spark EV, but maybe another Leaf - I'll be back to two-wheeled Chinese EVs...

I really like the Leaf for the most part. I don't like how my battery has degraded and I'd prefer more range of course. Right now, we are considering leasing (2 year, much lower price hopefully) another Leaf in January when the lease on our 2011 is up.

I am not sure what I will do when my lease is up in January 2016 . Between the hopes of a vastly improved Leaf by then, to interesting (to me) upcoming vehicles like the A3 eTron, just about anything can happen.

About the only thing I can say is that I will be unlikely to buy another pure ICEV except as a companion to some sort of EV. A PHEV with at least 30 miles of range maybe if I want to go back to having only one car.

If actual values are close to my residual, I am not against buying out my lease as long as battery degradation is not to the point where the car will become unviable to me in short order, and the car remains otherwise reliable.

RonDawg said:
A3 eTron, just about anything can happen.
Is the eTron still happening? The eGolf is, I believe, and since the Golf is closely related to A3, I hope to see an Audi EV.

According to this article, it is confirmed to come to the US "sometime in 2014."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084725_2014-audi-a3-e-tron-full-details-on-audis-plug-in-hybrid/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unlike the prototype eTron, this will be a PHEV.

I'm only eight months into my three-year lease, but I think I will either buy a used EV (likely a LEAF) or lease a new one when I have to turn in my '12. I don't mind driving an old car and I don't need the latest and greatest, and the current range/charging of my LEAF meets my driving needs, so I would be happy to buy my car at the end of the lease if the residual wasn't so high (over $18k).

Not like there are a lot of options. If you live in CA there are a few other bit players like the Fit, but in other states the choices are pretty limited: Another LEAF, buy out the LEAF you have, Volt, Model S, go back to ICE, or a snipe hunt for one of the other side shows like FFE or cmax energi.

I love, love, love my LEAF, even with 3 capacity bars lost in 2.5 years...but I'll probably replace her with the BMW i3 which is scheduled to come out mid-2014. (I'll probably have to be one of the first in line (again), but now I know how that works...).

Wish I could afford a Tesla, but it is just isn't in the cards yet.

RonDawg said:
According to this article, it is confirmed to come to the US "sometime in 2014."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084725_2014-audi-a3-e-tron-full-details-on-audis-plug-in-hybrid/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unlike the prototype eTron, this will be a PHEV.

Maybe I'm mistaking it for another Audi model, but I've seen an eTron parked at the Belmont quick charge station be t to the VW research facility.

My lease expires in Dec 2014. I quite like the car and would be happy to give LEAF another go. I'll definitely check to see what the competition is offering then, but as it turns out the LEAF manages quite well with our situation which includes transport of a 175lb service dog, along with the cargo space in the back. While I might like a "sportier" EV, the LEAF's utility works for us.

Whether the next one would be lease or buy, will depend on the battery situation. I'm hoping for a 2nd Gen battery by 2015, as I'd like to buy so I can mod. But if batteries are basically the same it would be another lease.

TomT said:
I very highly doubt my next EV will be a Leaf, and I most definitely will not even remotely consider buying out the lease. It's time to move on to something better (and by that, I mean the battery and lack of TMS)...
Unfortunately for those outside CA - apparently the only new option in 2014 would be i3 (now that Infiniti LE is moved out).

Unless I pick the REx, difficult to justify what might be a $500 lease compared to my current $125.

Realistically there may not be any better choices than Leaf till Tesla Gen 3 comes out.

It really depends on the status of other new EVs that will be available. I'm really interested in what Tesla is going to bring out and the Cadillac ELR is on my radar also.

Back