Plastic Wheels Save Weight for the Smart EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic wheels makes me wonder what ever happened to the Tweel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, brain fade, I agree that 20% seems outrageous even given the fact that 30% less weight should offer a great deal less rotational inertia, so I reviewed the piece again and found that they don't claim a 20% advantage. Sorry.

20% range increase would be huge, worth about $2000 savings in batteries and associated weight. Perhaps they meant a 20% increase vs cheap steel rims?. Aluminum brake rotors would be a big savings as well.

Speaking of the Smart EV (only 250 available for lease/can't buy at all), I was allowed to drive it during the Plug-in America Day. It has similar torque as the LEAF, but the steering is tighter/harder, regen is ONLY with the brakes which is 10kW, and it has no QC port. According to the owner, it is very safe because it has a 'Nascar'-like cabin. They said they get about the same range as the LEAF...100 miles...depending on the way they drive it.

aqn said:
I'd say the jury is still out. If it's possible for 18" wheels that weighs the same as the OEM wheels to reduce range by 20-25%...

Interesting, perhaps higher rotational inertia due to the larger diameter?.. but they sure look nice. Nader might be a non-hypermiler driver.

6265088584_21c0fed101_b.jpg

Herm said:
Interesting, perhaps higher rotational inertia due to the larger diameter?.. but they sure look nice. Nader might be a non-hypermiler driver.
Or he may simply do a lot of stop and go, or simply city type driving where the wheels have to be started and stopped a lot.

Back