Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lynza said:
Has anyone seen this? I'm not sure I'm OK with it. With the tiny number of cars on the road in Oregon and everywhere else it seems a little extreme.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2011/04/02/oregon-considers-per-mile-tax-for-electric-vehicles/101122_nissan_leaf/
I'm not okay with this for a number of reasons, the first one being that their fee is quadruple what ICE vehicles pay. The Nissan LEAF has a "Fuel Economy" of 99 MPG per the EPA, so why do we have to pay as if it was a 25 MPG car?

Second, if you brew your own biodiesel, have a plug-in hybrid, or any vehicle capable of being powered from anything other than 100% gasoline or 100% electricity, you get out of paying any tax what-so-ever (for example, no additional tax on the Volt even though you could drive it only using electricity).

Third, I already pay a 3% tax on the electricity I use in my Nissan LEAF - how to I apply for my credit on my "road tax?"

Fourth, based on the pilot project done for this, a special GPS device will be permanently installed in your vehicle and you'll be required to go to the gas station once a month to pay your road tax. I will pay 100% of the miles I drive in my car if I only have to pay once per year and it is based on my odometer mileage, no way I'm letting them install a GPS device in my vehicle for this purpose.

If this really was about "fairness" the state would reform the entire vehicle registration process. What everyone pays should be a formula combined of 1) Vehicle Weight, 2) EPA Fuel Economy, and 3) Odometer Mileage, regardless of fuel type.

On a side note, they should institute an annual usage fee on studded tires to help offset the majority of damage to our roads... :D

DarkStar said:
Lynza said:
If this really was about "fairness" the state would reform the entire vehicle registration process. What everyone pays should be a formula combined of 1) Vehicle Weight, 2) EPA Fuel Economy, and 3) Odometer Mileage, regardless of fuel type.

On a side note, they should institute an annual usage fee on studded tires to help offset the majority of damage to our roads... :D

Keep in mind the "state" you are talking about is Oregon. I do not consider it a bastion of smart administrative decision making process. You brought up very sensible approach to fair road usage fee. Leave it to the decision-makers to come up with GPS snooping concept instead!

In the article it states that "If the bill comes to fruition, it would charge owners of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles up to 1.43 cents per mile they drive beginning with 2014 model year vehicles."

So would this mean that are model years 2011-2013 are exempt? Also I think the Volt counts as a plug-in hybrid.

intrepion said:
In the article it states that "If the bill comes to fruition, it would charge owners of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles up to 1.43 cents per mile they drive beginning with 2014 model year vehicles."

So would this mean that are model years 2011-2013 are exempt? Also I think the Volt counts as a plug-in hybrid.
As the law is written, it would begin with model year 2014 vehicles and only applies to electric "fuel" vehicles. In Oregon, the Volt is a gasoline "fuel" vehicle. I believe the MY 2014 portion is because the state wants the auto manufacturer to incorporate their "device" into the actual vehicle and not make it an "add-on."

Unfortunately, the bill is only in committee right now, so it could turn out completely different than how it went in.

Woo! Got my car last night! If you see a blue leaf on the road, it might be me!

So, am I in the club now? Do we have meetings? Leafers Anonymous? I'm pretty sure I'm already addicted.

intrepion said:

So, am I in the club now? Do we have meetings? Leafers Anonymous? I'm pretty sure I'm already addicted.
Well, funny that you ask, since I've started a Meetup.com group called the Portland Area Nissan LEAF Enthusiasts Group!

The first "meetup" will be at the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association meeting next Thursday, April 14th and I'm pretty sure there will be a couple LEAFs there.

Otherwise, these forums are a great place and I'll be organizing a few more meetups throughout the summer (especially once the weather is really nice)!

Welcome to the PDX owners club! :D

intrepion said:

Congrats. Look forward to spotting your car!!! BTW, were any of the posters here driving a RED LEAF around 7:40 AM on Wed. along 125th (between Southridge HS and Brockman/Greenway)? Sure was a nice looking car. :)

For those of us still waiting for our LEAF's, there might be an issue with port-installed accessory supplies, according to Nissan. That might explain the reason for some delays, mine being one of them. :(

Hey there - I've also signed up for the Meet Up Group and will plan to be at the OEVA meeting next week. Sorry to hear about your delay - I'm almost an owner too, ETEC was installed yesterday - Oregon Electric did a nice job - and now waiting for May delivery.
I look forward to meeting you folks on Thursday!

DarkStar said:
Well, funny that you ask, since I've started a Meetup.com group called the Portland Area Nissan LEAF Enthusiasts Group!

The first "meetup" will be at the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association meeting next Thursday, April 14th and I'm pretty sure there will be a couple LEAFs there.

Otherwise, these forums are a great place and I'll be organizing a few more meetups throughout the summer (especially once the weather is really nice)!:D

Chris - will all Leaf owner meetups be in conjunction with OEVA meetings? I picked up my car this morning, and I'd like to be able to talk with other local owners, but Thursdays don't work for me.

jfsquires said:
DarkStar said:

Otherwise, these forums are a great place and I'll be organizing a few more meetups throughout the summer (especially once the weather is really nice)!:D

Chris - will all Leaf owner meetups be in conjunction with OEVA meetings? I picked up my car this morning, and I'd like to be able to talk with other local owners, but Thursdays don't work for me.
Leaf meetings can be whenever we want them! :D The OEVA just happens to be a good monthly meeting for a lot of people and they're interested in seeing both the Leaf and Volt make regular appearances.

Hopefully once the weather is better and more charging stations are installed we can schedule some weekend meetups. I'm open to suggestions for locations and I'm willing to get things booked.

Beaverton held its "Living Greener Summit" this weekend. There was a Leaf there, it was the star of the show.
Link to photos.
216477_10150148856988020_138510433019_6707822_341461_n.jpg

208074_10150148856893020_138510433019_6707819_6405589_n.jpg

patrick0101 said:
Beaverton held its "Living Greener Summit" this weekend. There was a Leaf there, it was the star of the show.
Was that DarkStar's? I hovered around the area for a good 10 minutes trying to sneak in and introduce myself, but he was constantly mobbed with people. Seemed like a lot of genuine interest. Thanks for doing that.

dyhopper said:
patrick0101 said:
Was that DarkStar's? I hovered around the area for a good 10 minutes trying to sneak in and introduce myself, but he was constantly mobbed with people. Seemed like a lot of genuine interest. Thanks for doing that.
Yep, that was Mikiko!

It was a lot of fun and I was glad to answer questions for people. The most popular question: How much does it cost you to drive? Answer: My 50 mile round-trip commute costs me around $0.90 in electricity per day vs. $7.00 in gasoline in my old Subaru.

The funniest part was explaining to people that I plug this in when I get home and go to bed, then wake up fully charged (per my tee shirt) and then letting them know that they can plug it into any standard power outlet. That just really warped some people's minds!

greenwayleaf said:
Delivery has been changed to April 14, and then April 29, all in the span of two days. The waiting game continues! :(
My delivery date was changed from week of May 6th to week of April 29th. Maybe our cars are coming on the same truck.

greenwayleaf said:
Delivery has been changed to April 14, and then April 29, all in the span of two days. The waiting game continues! :(
Mine changed from week of April 22 to week of April 28 about 5 weeks ago and has not moved. Somehow an update (even to the 29th) would make me feel like it is not lost :)

healy100 said:
My delivery date was changed from week of May 6th to week of April 29th. Maybe our cars are coming on the same truck.

And it would not surprise me one bit if yours gets here before mine. I fear that If the cars are not currently at the port of Long Beach, or on the way to the dealer, it could be quite a bit longer wait.

Just had my first (not mine) LEAF sighting! I was going south on Stucki waiting at the light at Cornell (headed to Walker Road) and across the street headed north another silver LEAF pulled up to the light. I tapped my horn, waved, and the driver looked over, but kinda had a confused look on their face. I guess the car is a little too non-descript! :D

Back