Possible Leaf Purchase in Austin, TX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmlawrence said:
the sales guys Dana and Larry also assured us that if something is out of the ordinary other than the normal battery wear and tear of a lithium ion then Nissan will work with us. Also my Dad worked in the car battery business before retiring so we have a good knowledge of a lot of how it works.
:)

Have you read any of the following threads at the bottom of this post? Your dad may have a good background in batteries, but I doubt he has any intimate knowledge of how Nissan handles battery issues. Please understand that a sales person (particularly a car one) will say just about anything to complete a sale or make you feel good about the purchase.

So far, even cars with 20% - 30% range reduction in 6-18 months "is normal", according to Nissan. The dealer will just give you a report that says "5 stars", regardless of the battery capacity. The hot environment that YOU live in will likely result in substantial loss of range due to battery degradation. Are you going to be OK with that impact on your new LEAF in a short time? Are you going to be OK when you take it to the dealer, and they give you a 5 star battery report and say everything is OK?

Anyway, congrats with your new car, however I would have suggested LEASING the car. Right now, at least two owners have been able to turn in their leased LEAF's when the battery significantly degraded. You won't have that option with a purchase; instead, you'll either pay a HUGE amount of money for a new battery, or sell/trade a car with a big, expensive problem.

Early Capacity losses

Lost Battery Capacity and Range / Autonomy, Page 2

Real World Battery Capacity Loss

Back