Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jercurz

I just got my leaf and the dealership told me that I can lock in the charger which would prevent someone from taking out the charger until my car was charged. 2 questions on that. 1. Is that a new feature for the 2013 or do all Leafs have this option? 2. Is this considered acceptable to lock in the charger while charging? Apparently it unlocks once the charge is complete. Thx.

I have the Nissan brick also but do not see anywhere where it locks in place to secure it against thieves. 2011 Leaf, I did see a thread here about a Brick with a locking cable they modified and added to cable to it.

By the way Grats!! Please add your location in your profile section, use the control panel above to do so.

Fred

It is new on the 2013. It can be set to never lock, lock all the time, or unlock after charging is complete. I'd likely use the unlock after charging option.

Jercurz said:
I just got my leaf and the dealership told me that I can lock in the charger which would prevent someone from taking out the charger until my car was charged. 2 questions on that. 1. Is that a new feature for the 2013 or do all Leafs have this option? 2. Is this considered acceptable to lock in the charger while charging? Apparently it unlocks once the charge is complete. Thx.

It's not a lock on the "brick" or the plug on it... its a lock at the receptacle on your car where the plug plugs in. Most useful when you are using public EVSE's, not so much when using your Nissan supplied brick.

vrwl said:
It's not a lock on the "brick" or the plug on it... its a lock at the receptacle on your car where the plug plugs in. Most useful when you are using public EVSE's, not so much when using your Nissan supplied brick.
How do you figure? Yes, the lock can keep someone from unplugging you and using the EVSE for their own car, but that's just an inconvenience. With your own brick, it discourages theft, and that would be expensive. True, a determined thief could cut the wire at the J1772, and make off with the brick and the wire, but they would be leaving the J1772 connector behind. What they took would not be usable (except for copper) without purchasing a new connector and doing a repair job. Much faster and more effective to take one that is not locked. And if you just want copper, take a public EVSE cable that is not in use.

I'm not sure about the SV or SL, but on my S the lock is controlled by a three-position rocker switch down where the port cover unlatch and timer override switches are.

Ray

planet4ever said:
vrwl said:
How do you figure? Yes, the lock can keep someone from unplugging you and using the EVSE for their own car, but that's just an inconvenience. With your own brick, it discourages theft, and that would be expensive. True, a determined thief could cut the wire at the J1772, and make off with the brick and the wire, but they would be leaving the J1772 connector behind. What they took would not be usable (except for copper) without purchasing a new connector and doing a repair job. Much faster and more effective to take one that is not locked. And if you just want copper, take a public EVSE cable that is not in use.

I'm not sure about the SV or SL, but on my S the lock is controlled by a three-position rocker switch down where the port cover unlatch and timer override switches are.

Ray

Ahhh, I see your point. Since I only charge with L1 (the brick) in my garage, it never leaves my house and I never use it outside of my own garage. So my POV is somewhat different than yours. For me, the lock would be more important at a public charging station to keep someone from unplugging my car while I'm getting a charge. Theft of the brick never even entered my mind. :)

Latest posts

Back