Public Electric Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
3) Finally - street charge locations in the form of premium parking where you pay for the street parking spot and the energy in a single charge.
I think this will be the norm. A high fee in the beginning is the best way to kill the charger business.
Yes, I'm thinking (or perhaps dreaming?) city-owned parking meters where you put in an extra quarter for every 20 minutes at an EV parking space. At roughly 3 kW/hour you'd be getting maybe 10c to 15c worth of electricity for your quarter, and the city would be getting a little extra income.

garygid said:
Yes, but if it costs you $5 or $10 every time you "Plug In" for charging, brief or not, you will not do "mini-e-fueling".
I will shop first where it is free then only pay as needed at the others :D Point taken and I think many will be free initially.

Remember that shopping centers and other locations which want to appear green will often provide the electricity for free. (However, in Europe all that is needed is a standard 16A 230V 3.6 kW electricity outlet. The charger is always in the car.)

There is, at least in Europe, a great deal of goodwill towards EV drivers. If you get into trouble with your EV, "everybody" wants to help, and talk about the car.

I currently drive electric vehicle And opportunity charging is a must!! To state that L2 charging Is not a good idea is ludicrous.

41 thing, Batteries do not charge linearly. If it takes 8 hours to recharge 80 miles of range If it would only take 4 hours to recharge 50 miles of range 2 hours to recharge 30 miles of range And so on.

On paper my Zenn will go th 25 miles But realistically I dare not go more than about 12 Miles before plugging in. Once I drove 38 miles In 1 day. But that was 5 miles lacey City hall Plugged in 4 30 minutes. Went to costco Plug in for another hour. Home plugin for an hour and a half. Few other side trips Some more plug time excetera.

2 things we need to realize; It will take years before We have to worry about Waiting in line for a plug. (Well at least 2 anyway)

The other thing is If we can plug in everywhere we go And we need to have any additional charge at least we can do that and not be stranded.
Yes I have gone to the grocery store been in and out in 10 minutes but I can easily make it 45 minutes boring costcos case an hour. Just add a lunch 450 cent of tables 3 *

Norway said:
evnow said:
Norway said:
Other encouragements (which we've had for years!) are no sales tax or "licence plate duty" for EVs. This can be up to 200% (!) on the value of the vehicle for fossil-cars.

If anyone tried that 200% here - there would be an armed rebellion :shock:

In a poll in Norway recently, 70% of the population were in favor of increased taxes, as long as they were used for the public health and education systems.
I can even begin to express the envy have for your country. This country is inploding under the financial strain of trying to beat politically correct to even the very smallest demographic.

The thought of doing something or sacrificing even a smidgen of personal freedoms for the common good is now completely unknown in this country.

After all that I m guessing that no 1 is surprised that the term" NIMBY" Was invented here

Everyone is so fixated on plugging in. You don't need to! Here is some high school physics for you. Batteries can be charged when passing through a constant magnetic field. Similarly, they can be charged while stationary with an moving or alternating magnetic field. The technology is here and many industrial and consumer equipment are taking advantage of it. When a car is in motion, a magnetic field generated by a direct current can charge the battery. While standing at a traffic light or when parked, a magnetic field generated by an alternating current can charge the battery. Oh and you need an RFID tag attached to your car so every time you use the juice you can be identified. That technology is also very mature. My guess is you won't fully charge a vehicle this way with today's technology but you should be able to add a few extra miles or slow down discharge while the engine is operating - to start with. However, there is a lot of potential for the use of magnetic fields to transfer and store electrical energy. A different form of this technology has been in use for propelling bullet trains in Japan for many years. No plugging in, no forgetting to plug it in and no charging stations. If there is a paved surface, you could get a charge... Now, we need a progressive city or county to lead the way. If you own a piece of the US transportation infrastructure, you can do this and profit from it.

Inductive charging would be the way to go but not quite sure we have fully developed an efficient way to transfer the amount of current we need

I agree that it would be nice to do it that way, but as one who has been driving an EV daily for three years, plugging in is rarely a problem (at least here in Oslo, Norway). It very soon becomes as natural as locking the doors of the car when you park. Now you lock and plug in. (On the VW EV, the electricity cord is hidden behind the front licence plate, so there are no extension cords.)

So, it is something which one thinks about BEFORE you get the EV, but which is rarely a problem when you have it.

Where I work there are 70 charging points for free use by the employees. So I plug in when I arrive at work, and drive home with a fully charged car.

Norway, I would love to live in your country if it weren't for the cold weather! I wish the US was more progressive thinking like you guys are. Someday I'd like to visit, just in the summertime! :)

We will see thousands of public charging stations in the EV Project cities and I think they will help to overcome fears of "range anxiety" but I agree that they won't be used much on a day to day basis. While there is little basis for it, range anxiety is the big thing that the media keeps bringing up that may prevent "mass" consumer adoption of the technology.

One other comment - someone mentioned reserving charge spots on your phone. While this will be available for specific "networks" (think Ecotality Blink or Coulomb's Chargepoint Network), does anyone think it is really practical or even desirable? It seems to me that stations should be first come/first served. These "networks" will also not be cross functional or communicate with the Leaf (at least at launch) so you'll need to have an application for each station "network" on your phone. This reserve/availability issue only seems to make sense for lvl 3.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
One other comment - someone mentioned reserving charge spots on your phone. While this will be available for specific "networks" (think Ecotality Blink or Coulomb's Chargepoint Network), does anyone think it is really practical or even desirable? It seems to me that stations should be first come/first served. These "networks" will also not be cross functional or communicate with the Leaf (at least at launch) so you'll need to have an application for each station "network" on your phone. This reserve/availability issue only seems to make sense for lvl 3.
I think reservations would be good - though I don't think initially it will be available or neccessary. I don't want to find an open spot 5 miles away and drive down to the place only to find it occupied.

evnow said:
I think reservations would be good - though I don't think initially it will be available or neccessary. I don't want to find an open spot 5 miles away and drive down to the place only to find it occupied.

Available now - www.chargepoint.net. I have the app on my iPhone. The "in use" functionality is cool - I wish that piece was coordinated with the OEM's so that you could look at the map of charging locations and see this in real time from inside your Leaf.

Initially, we might not be able to determine if a charging location is occupied or not until we arrive.

I am hoping that (eventually) CARWINGS will give us real-time occupancy data on all the nearby locations.

Just a little something to think about; When the first cars were made... there were NO roads. Things seemed to have worked out. :ugeek:

TRONZ said:
Just a little something to think about; When the first cars were made... there were NO roads. Things seemed to have worked out. :ugeek:

There were roads. May be not asphalted.

What they didn't have were gas stations. The gas had to be delivered home ...

I guess we could call them wagon trails at best. GE's EV site has some great old film of very early cars slogging through very rutted "roads". Kind of amazing. Makes you realize that all the really hard stuff (like asphalt) is already done.

Having owned a self converted EV for about 5 years now I can say that public charging is freaking sweet! No doubt about it. If you are like me you will find yourself some times going out of your way just to use it. Now this was me using the remnants of the 90's charging infrastructure in the mid 2000's so there really weren't many EV's around so any occasion where more than one EV showed up at a charging station was an arranged event. Taking a learn from California what they did for people who were nice about it would put a sign in their windshield with a paper clip you slide over saying I need to charge until this time at which I can be unplugged, so if the car was parked next to you and there was only one charger which could reach it worked out. It also could have your cell phone number on it if you were really nice. I think this is the best bet until it becomes large scale. I also think that if EV spaces are patronized heavily they will install more as demand grows.

That said on the original comments about plug in hybrids using the stations Arizona has an interesting little law on the books that no one seems to have brought up. It say specifically that a vehicle using a charging space must be powered solely by electricity and have Arizona's alternative fuel license plates. A volt will not get an alternative fuel license plate so it legally will not be allowed to use a charging space, and is subject to being towed and fined $350 for a violation. So it won't happen right away, but I know there will be conflict about this and I'm sure eventually the law will be changed. Other states are probably different.

Frankly I kind of like the law the way it is because an EV driver may plan a drive beyond the vehicles no-charge range so that way if they pull up to a charging station they need to have priority.

Back