Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mallory, can you post some details about how you worked out with your landlord about paying for the electricity? Will the EVSE be connected somehow to your own meter? How did that work out? Did you already have your own parking spot or will they be designating one just for you? It would be of interest to those of us who have condos or may be renting as well.
Maybe post in the thread about condos and apartments that already exists here.

yes, good idea, I will do that. I'm still locked out of my dashboard so I can't get to the quote from AV. But I'll write something up on my lunch break today!

Hey to all who have ordered and received the AV unit cash and carry -

How long did it take to ship to you?

I have a 21 december appointment for AV installation, but if I can get it shipped to me in SF and installed before Jan 1 by a local contractor, I will save some cash.

Unfortunately I have to cancel the appt to get it shipped.

I need to install the EVSE this year, and buy the car next year for tax purposes.

Any help in this regard would be most appreciated.

prberg said:
My EVSE will have to be mounted in direct sunlight. The only thing that might help... I probably won't be using the unit during the day, it will be just sitting idle. I will try to do my charging at night. So maybe it will be a little cooler since it wont be running power through it during the day?

Should I try to build a sun shield for it? Or just find some cloth that I can drape over it. It would still probably get hot, but the UV rays wouldn't breakdown the plastic as fast?

-Peter
Fontana Nissan has two AV units with a dual cover to give sun protection
Maybe AV has a single cover for outdoor use?

FontanaNissan said:
We are ready to go! Chargers are here, now all we need is LEAFS...

chargerj.jpg

mwalsh said:
friendnumber1 said:

It shipped overnight....I had it the next day.

Of course, Garden Grove is a lot closer to Monrovia than San Francisco.

Anyone else get it that fast?

friendnumber1 said:

I have a 21 december appointment for AV installation, but if I can get it shipped to me in SF and installed before Jan 1 by a local contractor, I will save some cash.

I'm also in the Bay Area. It was shipped on Friday 12/10, and arrived on Tuesday 12/14.

I am hearing the "may not be able to get it to you in time" line myself.

This may be because I have a 21 Dec install appointment, and they are trying to drag their feet just enough to get me to give them the extra grand.

I say this because every conversation that I have begins with a reminder from them about the differences in the warranty for cash and carry versus their install.

I'm also getting told it will be a week and a half before I can even order my AV unit.

Most likely Av will miss my car delivery of January 5th. Not good.

What is wrong with an "AV install" on 21 Dec?

They should bring the EVSE, right?

Or, do you mean a non-AV install of an AV EVSE that you do not yet have?

You can even install on 27 or 28 Dec, just pre-arrange (if possible) for inspection before year end.

Gary, they are saying that AV is dragging their feet, because they want to do the whole job, and are delaying ordering their "cash & carry" EVSEs, because they know they are up against the end of year deadline. Of course that won't get them very far now, since it looks like the EVSE tax credit will be extended through 12/31/2011. Of course if you want to take the credit in 2010, for the April 15th 2011 tax filing, you still would need to get the EVSE installed in 2010...

What is wrong with the scheduled 21 December AV install is the price.

It is for the usual one by their guys for $2300 (talked down from $2600 btw).

I would much prefer to buy the unit for $800.00 (shipped), and have it installed by the same people that did Gudy's for $350 plus permit. Or about $1300.

I really don't want to enable AV to eat up federal money, but I also really want to have the EVSE installed this year.

Plus, $650-$750 is less than $1150. Their warranty is not worth the price of the unit.

So it all comes down to if AV will ship me the unit in time if I cancel the 21 appointment. I am getting some push back. Not hard, more along the lines, of "you should know that there is a possibility that you might not get it in time if we ship it..."

Seems like if there is a unit that won't be installed on the 21st by them, then there should be a unit that I can buy cash and carry, right?

Thanks Mitch, for 'splainin my sitch.

BTW, I want the EVSE installed this year because my tax burden for next year is not likely to exceed $7500 by much, so I want to utilize the EVSE tax credit this year, and EV tax credit next year.

Capisce?

Monrovia, CA is about a 90-minute drive (one way) for me,
but others live much closer.

Can we do a pick-up and save the shipping fee?

If so, we might be able to pick up a few "for an installer",
and ship one overnight (extra $) to you.
Where are you located (city, zip)?

I might even know an installer that has an AV EVSE in stock.

Ordered my "cash & carry" unit today, should have it first part of next week. Now just to get a good installer.....and the car!

Sigh, all of you lucky people who get to order your AV unit.

Everytime I call to ask "Can I order it today?" I get told "We haven't assigned a unit to you yet." Despite my January (now 11th) delivery of the car.

Something tells me if I were to allow AV to install it, a unit would get assigned to me.

Oh well. Their loss. With the tax credit extended, I'm done beating down their door to buy their product.

And I am frankly tired of the "If we install it you get a better warranty" argument. AV wants $3800 for my install. I'll buy 3 spares, and just keep them for a rainy day at those kinds of prices.

Enjoy your L2 charging. I'll be using my extension cord and enjoying my 20 mile commute without AV assistance.

Back