Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
driveleaf said:
Everytime I call to ask "Can I order it today?" I get told "We haven't assigned a unit to you yet." Despite my January (now 11th) delivery of the car.

Hmmm....that seems odd. Unless perhaps one of two things - 1) Those of us whom AV called (rather than the other way round) are getting our cars ahead of others with the same theoretical delivery date or 2) Your theoretical delivery date is actually later than our theoretical delivery date <shrug>.

Finally "Sarah" emailed me today and let me know that I can now order the AV Unit via cash and carry directly from my dashboard. I presume with just few days left they figured there was no way I was going via AV.

Question: If I order the AV Unit via website now, I can get the 50% tax credit on the Unit? I am not sure if the install would be done by the 31st but since I have the unit purchased in 2010 it still qualifies?

csriram45 said:
Finally "Sarah" emailed me today and let me know that I can now order the AV Unit via cash and carry directly from my dashboard. I presume with just few days left they figured there was no way I was going via AV.

Question: If I order the AV Unit via website now, I can get the 50% tax credit on the Unit? I am not sure if the install would be done by the 31st but since I have the unit purchased in 2010 it still qualifies?

Easier to get your electrician to back-date an invoice than AV! ;)

csriram45 said:

They charge you credit card the day they ship the unit. I ordered mine last Friday and it arrived yesterday and I'm in the Bay Area as well.

Ordered mine on Tuesday. Delayed one additional day to need to ship it to a different address (since no one will be home to protect it.)

Delay to order was due to request for 25' cord.

Dealer states they have no information about my switch from Jan 5 to Pending. I was told not to expect my car before the new year.

so I guess this route is better than any other route. I will order today and get my electrician to install it.... I read in other threads that that it would need to be inspected... before we can get credit.. is that true?

also it gave an estimated delivery date of Feb 2011. Did it ship much earlier though for those who ordered??

csriram45 said:
so I guess this route is better than any other route. I will order today and get my electrician to install it.... I read in other threads that that it would need to be inspected... before we can get credit.. is that true?
No, IRS does not require electrical permits

Incidentally, when I requested to pick the unit up, there was no such option, and Sarah was fairly confident that the only way I could get the unit was to have it shipped.

So no getting out of their $50 shipping charges.

smkettner said:
csriram45 said:
But you should be able to claim the permit fee if it was paid in 2010.

garygid said:
With the 2009 PV tax credit, it said that the year of payment was not important for the claim, but the "put in Service" date fixed the claim year.
So if the dry wall, paint, caulking, landscape repair, stucco repair, install second meter, add sub panel, finish outdoor enclosure etc are paid in 2011 I would still take it in 2010, yes? I would. Just so it is operational in 2010.

Mine will be 2011 so I have a year+ to figure it out.

I ASSUME (NOT sure) that if it is "in Service" in 2010, you can take the tax credit in "April" 2011, even if some of the payments were made in 2011 for work completed before the "in Service" date. But, I do NOT know if that is correct.

smkettner said:
csriram45 said:
The IRS doesn't require anything but your signature on your income tax form unless you get audited. But an IRS auditor will know that you cannot legally put an EVSE into service until it has been inspected.

planet4ever said:
The IRS doesn't require anything but your signature on your income tax form unless you get audited. But an IRS auditor will know that you cannot legally put an EVSE into service until it has been inspected.

So the IRS is involved with the various permitting and inspection rules for each city? I don't think so. The IRS doesn't care about any inspections. They want to see the paperwork that shows when/how much you paid for the unit and the installation, nothing more. "In service" means the date the unit is available for use as intended. My solar system was inspected by the city, but I never got anything that said it passed inspection. The only thing I have to show the IRS is the contract and the cancelled checks.

And I agree completely with the "IRS doesn't require anything but your signature on your income tax form unless you get audited". IF you get audited, they'll want to see the receipts. Nothing more.

NORMALLY, the Permit "must" be posted near the work site, and the inspector signs and dates both the posted "original" and the copy (to be filed with the "city") that is in his copy of the "package of permit drawngs and documents" that he brings with him.

When are you guys going to stop talking about permits and the IRS? If you get audited, you need a dated receipt and proof of payment. They want to see you did not make up the deduction, they don't know permits are required nor do they check. The tax credit covers more than an EVSE, people are making this entire EVSE process into dat too much.

garygid said:
You are now an expert IRS Tax Auditor, giving binding legal tax advice?

I'm not giving any binding advice but I own a business and take these these type of deductions often and know people who have been audited for similar higher more complex deductions and its proof of purchase and date. What if you have a outlet existing and it's plugged in, there is no permit, a permit is not a requirement of the credit.

Gary, I just looked outside my window, and yes I can assure you the sky is not falling. You have no idea how ambiguous this all is. Besides, the chance of you buying a Leaf and an EVSE is about 20%:)

I addition buying an EVSE this year without a serious need is a crazy waste of money. There will soon be many people kicking themselves for rushing to pay big bucks on L2 EVSEs and installations. Prices on L2 70A cables with pilot signals just dropped dramatically on the wholesale market, that means 30A will be dirt cheap. I'm confident my L2 EVSE will be free or under $100 without a tax credit. But you still have time to buy a CA EVSE before they leave the country:)

It can be done. I received my AV unit on Tuesday ($846). My installation (non-AV) is scheduled for Monday (12/27) at $450, Total Cost $1,296. Tax credit 50%...total net cost $648.00.

Back