Questions about Nissan dealer and other EVSE deployment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

I'm not quite clear if I should post this in the ask Nissan area, which seems to not be used in recent years.

Background: I charged yesterday at a dealer for the first time and it went well. However, ever since I got my Leaf I have noticed that the dealers are some of the only "public" (or semi-public) EVSE listed on the Leaf dashboard EVSE map, which means that the map is really not useful (I gave up on it very quickly, and only use my smartphone) and also has raised my awareness of the fact that Nissan dealer EVSE (at least in this area) seems to be fenced off so that it cannot be used outside of when the dealer is open. Usually this means I cannot make use of dealer EVSE (even just on Sunday drives, the dealers around here do not seem to be open).

Questions:
Are there any dealers that have EVSE available to drivers 24x7x365? (Noting for my own personal preferences: I'm happy to pay for the charge, and it doesn't matter to me which network it is on, but it should be shaded so I am not baking the battery during the day, and, ideally, should satisfy the other conditions we like to have for rest stop conditions including well-lit and secure. This may not be inherently as possible near a dealer as in a purpose-chosen spot since the latter may be chosen for its presence near 24x7 services, so I guess I can see a counter-argument to making near-dealer EVSE public-networked and accessible 24x7x365).

In deploying EVSE of its own, is Nissan fencing any of it off so that it is not available during some hours, or is it all available 24x7x365 (as are competing gas stations) aside from unanticipated service issues?

jlsoaz said:
Questions:
Are there any dealers that have EVSE available to drivers 24x7x365?

this is a question that there seems to be no one answer for.
the few dealerships I've visited near me in NE FLA have the charging stations in places that appear to offer 24/7 access unless they block the driveways in off hours. Judging by your message in your area this easy access is not available

apvbguy said:
jlsoaz said:
Questions:
Are there any dealers that have EVSE available to drivers 24x7x365?

this is a question that there seems to be no one answer for.
the few dealerships I've visited near me in NE FLA have the charging stations in places that appear to offer 24/7 access unless they block the driveways in off hours. Judging by your message in your area this easy access is not available

Both Tucson Nissan dealers are closed Sundays and apparently both block off their parking lots with cars for those days, so it's a non-starter on those days and at other times. It makes me wonder what's the point of pestering the car dealers around where I live to get charge-stations in if they are only going to be available on a very limited basis. Typically if I need a public charge station it is at odd hours. There's a Ford dealership at a strategic location and they're affiliated with my Nissan dealership and doing a remodel, and so in a way this is promising, because maybe they'll put in a charger, but if it's only available in a limited way, it's kind of frustrating.

planet4ever said:
I have charged at three different Nissan dealers who had their gates open at night and the EVSEs powered up 24x7. So the answer is, yes, there are some.

Ray

Thanks, good to know.... it's case-by-case. I think what I'd like to communicate to Nissan is that it's a higher priority (for me personally, not trying to speak for others... and some of my BEV needs turn out to be a bit different) to have round-the-clock access to safe well-spaced chargers along my route than to have free charging (i.e.: price is not the main concern at this point).

Back