Questions for Jan 8th Town Hall Mtg in AZ

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/contracts/transportation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South Coast Air QualitManagement District
y Individual Proposals/Requested Fundin
g listed below
$255,00
$255,00087.7%Awardee
South Coast Air Basin DC Fast CharginStation #25
g Network-$15,000

Alternative Energy SysConsulting, Inc.
tems Three ABB/RWE DC Fast Chargers at U
C San Diego
$145,55
$145,55486.3%Awardee
Green Charge Networ
ks, LLCIndividual Proposals/Project Location/Rlisted below
equested Fund
ing
$2,087,153
$1,000,00086.0%Awardee

Where does it say the above funds were actually awarded? I'm looking here, and all these DCQs appear to be unfunded.

Interesting info on the $10K subsidy on the AV/Nissan/Sumitomo charger.

chelsea,

thank you for putting the meeting together, it was good opportunity to meet Andy Palmer, AZ leaf owners, and other frequent posters on mynissanleaf.

i was wondering what happened to the "list"?? Did Nissan not want to go through your list of questions ??

myleaf said:
I was wondering what happened to the "list"?? Did Nissan not want to go through your list of questions ??
I wondered the same thing, why did Nissan not want to go over Chelsea's list of questions?

The question on Chelsea's list that I wanted to hear Nissan answer the most was why they don't want to offer a 10 bar/5 yr/60K warranty to back up their claim of 80% capacity in 5 year, especially for hot climate owners since Nissan claimed 2 years ago that AZ heat should not be an issue for AZ owners.

After seeing that the question was not going to be asked by the audience, I raised my hands MANY times wanting to ask that question, but never got the chance to ask before Nissan decided to stop taking questions from the audience by 7:30pm sharp. I wish they had been willing to continue taking on more questions because there were still many raised hands (mine included) that never got a chance to speak.

http://jalopnik.com/5974593/nissans-in-hot-water-with-leaf-owners-in-hot+ass-arizona" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I missing something or is there a real silence about information from the meeting. By reading MNL today I have learned nothing about what happened on Jan. 8th.

downeykp said:
Am I missing something or is there a real silence about information from the meeting. By reading MNL today I have learned nothing about what happened on Jan. 8th.

Hi:

It's not 100% clear if Nissan will post the entire video (2 hours). If they do, then this would then provide info. If they do, my hope would be someone could then figure out how to do some sort of computer process to get a decent transcript because I think slogging through 2 hours of town hall on video would be annoying for most.

With respect to not sticking to the list of questions, keep in mind that once the floor was opened (I guess about 20-30 minutes into the 2 hours) to questions, each person was on their own recognizance to ask whatever they wanted, and there was a lot of need to ask and re-ask since many people were decidedly unhappy with certain answers. So, I think we can have an unscripted town hall or we can have a list of questions read to Nissan execs, but I am not sure we can have both.

To the extent that the list of questions was "first-and-foremost" a direct discussion on range degradation, that conversation took place. That's why I mentioned earlier that while I didn't have time to provide a summary, a large percent of the Town Hall was spent coming back to that conversation pretty firmly.

I think a lot of people have work to do, after taking a lot of time to attend the thing, so maybe there will be some summaries of certain questions that will trickle in.

jl

This is Jeff from Nissan.

I'd like to address the issue of the "list of questions" raised by Volusiano. I will not speak for Chelsea, but I took her counsel in drafting the first three questions to Andy and Billy. I did not repeat them verbatim, rather I presented each -- the battery warranty, battery pricing and quick charger roll out -- as the most prominent issues that were presented to us and collectedy by Chelsea via the MNL.com forum. If it would have been better to use one of the exact questions as a proxy for all of the submissions on each of the three issues, then I accept the responsibility for that, but I was attempting to get right to the heart of the issues, as raised by you, the owners and enthusiasts.

Jeff

Hawk0630 said:
This is Jeff from Nissan.

I'd like to address the issue of the "list of questions" raised by Volusiano. I will not speak for Chelsea, but I took her counsel in drafting the first three questions to Andy and Billy. I did not repeat them verbatim, rather I presented each -- the battery warranty, battery pricing and quick charger roll out -- as the most prominent issues that were presented to us and collectedy by Chelsea via the MNL.com forum. If it would have been better to use one of the exact questions as a proxy for all of the submissions on each of the three issues, then I accept the responsibility for that, but I was attempting to get right to the heart of the issues, as raised by you, the owners and enthusiasts.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I understand that the town hall has limited time constraint and not all questions can be covered. But on a forum like this, there's no time constraint at all. And there are still important questions on Chelsea's list that went unanswered at the town hall.

So how about you take a stab at answering those unanswered questions that remained on Chelsea's list here, on this forum, in this thread? Instead of leaving them unanswered and ignored? I assume that you DO want to answer all our questions.

The first and foremost question I have for Nissan is why can't Nissan provide a different warranty for 2011 and 2012 hot climate owners that is better than the current 9 bar warranty? Obviously the 9 bar warranty is not a satisfactory warranty for hot climate owners because many of them already suffered easily 2 bar loss within the first year or year and a half of their ownership. Comes this summer, I'm pretty sure most of the current 2 bar loss owners will become 3 bar loss owners easily. Data points from the last summer already support this.

Why not provide an 80% 5yr 60K warranty for hot climate owners? This can be limited to early adopters only, meaning 2011 and 2012 hot climate owners.

You can still provide the 9 bar warranty for all cool climate owners, and even the same 9 bar warranty for future 2013 hot climate owners. Cool climate owners are not affected by the heat anyway, and future 2013 hot climate owners should already know by now what they're walking into by purchasing a LEAF in AZ. But 2011 and 2012 hot climate owners deserve a better warranty than that because we had no idea what we were walking into a year or 2 ago, and we could only rely on Nissan's words that we should expect 80% capacity in 5 years just like anybody else in the cooler states. We were told that the AZ heat should not be an issue w.r.t. to capacity performance because Nissan did extensive testing in AZ to prove it already. AZ was one of the Tier1 roll-out state, after all.

At the town hall, at some point, Andy told the audience: "Look, what we want to do is to be honest and up front with you about the capability (also implied limitation) of what the battery pack can do". So why didn't Nissan want to do this 2 years ago instead of just now? If Nissan didn't know 2 years ago, that's fine, I don't care whether Nissan wants to admit any mistake or not. What I care about is that Nissan does right by hot climate early adopters and provide an acceptable remedy for these hot climate early adopters. And the 9 bar warranty is not an acceptable remedy for hot climate early adopters. It doesn't solve anything for us.

NYLEAF said:
Was the Quick Charger roll out discussed at all during the meeting? What was the answer? If it's happening, when?

Yes, it was discussed at the very beginning. I don't remember the US numbers unfortunately. Perhaps someone else can state. It was discussed by Billy (head of Global Leaf sales, based out of Tokyo) in their opening remarks, and he mentioned, and I think said something on the order of x number being "in the ground", including a number for Phoenix, but I don't want to give out inaccurate information.

jlsoaz said:
NYLEAF said:
Was the Quick Charger roll out discussed at all during the meeting? What was the answer? If it's happening, when?

Yes, it was discussed at the very beginning. I don't remember the US numbers unfortunately. Perhaps someone else can state. It was discussed by Billy (head of Global Leaf sales, based out of Tokyo) in their opening remarks, and he mentioned, and I think said something on the order of x number being "in the ground", including a number for Phoenix, but I don't want to give out inaccurate information.

Billy said they hoped to have 600 in the ground by end of 2013, and that Phoenix was a "priority area".

evchels said:
jlsoaz said:
NYLEAF said:

Billy said they hoped to have 600 in the ground by end of 2013, and that Phoenix was a "priority area".
Best news I have heard in a long time. Thanks Chels

evchels said:
jlsoaz said:
NYLEAF said:

600 Quick Chargers is great news. Nothing against Phoenix, but I hope Nissan also makes other areas a priority, like those that aren't getting QCs installed by Blink, AV, or eVgo. Chelsea, I hope you can keep pressing Nissan for more information on the rollout. Thanks :)

A question we forgot to ask? I don't know.

When the Leaf first came out, Nissan was mulling over whether they would consider leasing the battery but selling the car. They decided for the US market that they would not do this, but sister-company Renault did decide to offer battery lease option (or mandatory?) in France I think with at least one model and Daimler is offering this with the Smart in Europe I believe.

So, as a solution for the hot-climate-degradation areas in the US, would Nissan consider a battery Lease option?

To be honest, I think the vehicle leasing satisfies some or all of the matter (perhaps since vehicle leasing is so readily done in the US they concluded that separate battery leasing isn't necessary?) so I'm undecided as to whether I personally would be a big fan of trying battery leasing at this point in the US on the Leaf in some areas. I think the bigger issue to me would be observing whether Nissan is helpful to those who have suffered some unexpected quality issues and allows them to convert to Leases, and really improves their batteries based on real-world significant range loss, without any further hassle.

So, now that I write it out, I don't think the question is necessarily a good one, or maybe it is moot, but I thought I'd write it out.

Separate point:

We should consider whether to take the list of ongoing questions (and answers!) and put them in the wiki perhaps nearby to where I set up the lists of likes, dislikes, suggestions, improvements made by Nissan, etc. Maybe the question list is already in the wiki? Or maybe there is a good reason not to do this?

jl

I remember reading some post on MNL a while back that said Nissan can't lease the battery only because of some US law or regulation of some sort. So they're required to either sell or lease the whole car and not half and half. Maybe somebody can chime in with more details than this.

Apparently Europe and Israel don't have the same restriction so Renault can lease the battery for their car.

jlsoaz said:
So, as a solution for the hot-climate-degradation areas in the US, would Nissan consider a battery Lease option?

To be honest, I think the vehicle leasing satisfies some or all of the matter (perhaps since vehicle leasing is so readily done in the US they concluded that separate battery leasing isn't necessary?) so I'm undecided as to whether I personally would be a big fan of trying battery leasing at this point in the US on the Leaf in some areas.

Agreed. If one wants to lease, just lease the whole car. It's not like the car is of any use without the battery, so I don't see the value in owning the car but leasing the battery. You'd be stuck. When the time comes you'd likely not be in any position to negotiate the battery lease terms.

Nubo said:
jlsoaz said:

To be honest, I think the vehicle leasing satisfies some or all of the matter (perhaps since vehicle leasing is so readily done in the US they concluded that separate battery leasing isn't necessary?) so I'm undecided as to whether I personally would be a big fan of trying battery leasing at this point in the US on the Leaf in some areas.

Agreed. If one wants to lease, just lease the whole car. It's not like the car is of any use without the battery, so I don't see the value in owning the car but leasing the battery. You'd be stuck. When the time comes you'd likely not be in any position to negotiate the battery lease terms.
It only makes sense if Nissan has a clear and complete battery lease program full of options and clear pricing available, assuming that they can do it within the US laws and regulations. The advantage of this would be if the battery only lease is much cheaper than the whole car lease.

If you take this one step further, it becomes the Better Place model. Problem is, those swapping stations cost too much to build. It looks like Better Place is in serious trouble now.

Back