Rancho Cucamonga Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPowers

Sent the following to the City of Rancho Cucamonga:

Does the public works depart provide and maintain the Electrical vehicle charging stations that are located on city property? Like the ones at the parks, Quakes stadium and city hall?

If not which department does maintain the Electrical vehicle charging?

I have two questions;

1. When will the charging stations be converted over to the new connection standards for the Nissan leaf and Chev Volt, using the J1772 connector?
2. When will the charging station at Beryl park west be repaired? The cables have been cut off and have not been replaced. It have been like this for months.

Thanks
Greg Powers
Nissan Leaf owner

================================================
The cities response is good news, IF they can get funding?

Mr. Powers,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the electric vehicle charging stations in the City of Rancho Cucamonga. Public Works Services does in fact, maintain the charging stations that are on city property. The City is actively pursuing funding opportunities for the replacement of the existing charging station with new units that will meet the requirements of the new vehicles and have the appropriate connector. Unfortunately, I can not give you an exact time as to when this will be done because we are waiting on the necessary funds. However, if we are successful in obtaining the funds we will work diligently to get the new stations installed as quickly as possible. The charging station at Beryl Park is not scheduled for repair at this time because the parts are no longer available from the manufacturer.

If there is anything else I can do to help, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thank you,

Bill Wittkopf
Public Works Services Director
City of Rancho Cucamonga
(909) 477-2730 ext. 4101

I presume they know about this, though I'm not sure since this program is funded to my knowledge and you stated they were waiting for funding:

The California Energy Commission (CEC) together with ClipperCreek have funded a program to upgrade most of the legacy EV charging stations to the new SAE J1772 charging standard that has been adopted universally by all the BEV (battery electric vehicle) and PHEV (plug in hybrid electric
vehicle) automakers in the US. Together, the CEC and ClipperCreek have funded 100% of this upgrade so that it will be at NO COST TO YOU, the
site owner. No cost for the equipment, no cost for shipping, no cost
for travel, no cost for labor.

As I am sure you are aware, your participation in supplying electric vehicle charge stations to the public is vital to the success of Plug-In Vehicles which will help clean our air, reduce our dependency on foreign oil, and increase our national security.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/drive/projects/ARV-10-001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PM me if you want to get in touch with the coordinator to apply.

Follow up: Connected GotMyleaf with one of the fellows coordinating the California Energy Commission (CEC) J1772 upgrades by email. So we'll see where that goes. Please post any significant updates to this thread.

The Civic Center and Archibald Library chargers have been updated to J1772! They are both free and 24/7 from what I can tell.

2012-02-04%2B15.14.15.jpg

Above:
Rancho Cucamonga Civic Center
10500 Civic Center Dr.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

2012-02-04%2B15.24.12.jpg

Above:
Archibald Library
7364 Archibald Ave.

Very nice! Thank you for reporting this. I expect that we will be making use of the charging station at the library at Archibald and Baseline from time to time, as an alternative to stopping at Fontana Nissan while heading east along the 210 freeway. :D As we live in the same county, we can always check out books there and return them closer to home.

I noticed that the Civic Center charging station is convenient to the courthouse. I once had to go there for jury duty. If they summon me there again, I'll take the LEAF!

GotMyleaf said:
The Civic Center and Archibald Library chargers have been updated to J1772! They are both free and 24/7 from what I can tell.

This is all great news!

Burl Park West (carnelian and the 210 freeway) is still broken!

GPowers said:
Burl Park West (carnelian and the 210 freeway) is still broken!
Is/was the Beryl Park unit a J-1772? Or a legacy unit that could be upgraded? Once working, that one could also be very useful; that park would be a great place to let kids play while charging.

abasile said:
Is/was the Beryl Park unit a J-1772? Or a legacy unit that could be upgraded? Once working, that one could also be very useful; that park would be a great place to let kids play while charging.

It is an old unit that has NOT been converted.

RC_station.JPG

Rancho Cucamonga Metrolink station and Quake Stadium/Animal Control are both up and working!

I'm so glad that Clipper Creek has come through as promised. Rancho is a little haven of public charging again.

2012-02-07%2B11.21.03.jpg

Quake Stadium/Animal Shelter

2012-02-05%2B07.50.25.jpg

Metro Link Station

Here is an article in the local paper. Looks like Beryl park west did not make the list.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_19913508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RANCHO CUCAMONGA - The city has installed new electric charging stations for cars in six locations - City Hall, Animal Care and Adoption Center, Archibald Library, Heritage Park, Red Hill Park and Metrolink Station.

Owners of electric vehicles can begin using them free of charge.

"We're calling it a pilot program to access what the demand is going to be," said Fabian Villenas of the City Manager's Office. "In the future we may re-access and start charging a fee."

The seven charging stations - with two at the Metrolink Station - are funded by a California Energy Commission grant and feature a universal charging outlet that accommodates the new generation of electric vehicles. They replace the outdated stations that were installed in the 1990s.

Installed last week, the charging stations are part of the city's goal to become more electric car friendly.

The Building and Safety department has recently streamlined the permit process for electric car charging systems and compressed natural gas fueling equipment in homes. Staff members have developed a checklist to be used by residents and contractors to determine what is needed for installation. The checklist has been dispersed to local auto dealers as well.

"It's consistent communication," said John Thomas, a plan check manager. "That way, everybody knows exactly what we need from them."

Costs of the permits are between $150 to $260.

So far, the city has approved three residential permits for electric charging stations and one for compressed natural gas fueling appliance.

It's too soon to tell what the demand is for public or private electric charging stations. But as these specialized vehicles become more affordable, city leaders believe the requests for these stations will spike.

Recently the city purchased its first electric car, a Nissan Leaf. The vehicle is currently used to transport mail between city facilities.

Very impressive! Rancho Cucamonga is indeed an e-oasis!

Beryl Park West would have been nice because of its location right next to the freeway. On the other hand, if one is going to charge at a park while letting kids play, breathing all of the particulate pollution from the freeway would be a downside.

Red Hill Park (south of the 210 freeway, off of Baseline Rd. and east of Carnelian) looks like a great alternative. Heritage Park also looks like it would be worth trying, with the caveat that its location is less convenient and at 1900' elevation is about 400' higher than the 210 freeway.

I am happy to see these Clipper Creek completed J1772 upgrades in Rancho Cucamonga.

Clipper Creek has the contract, funded by a CA State grant, to upgrade legacy charging stations to new Clipper Creek J1772. Any host site with any brand of legacy charging station is eligible, with one limitation. The site must have at least two legacy stations, and one of these must be left as-is to support electric vehicles that depend on the legacy standards. More info and status at:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7657

tbleakne said:
The site must have at least two legacy stations, and one of these must be left as-is to support electric vehicles that depend on the legacy standards. More info and status at:

Most of the Cucamonga location are single stations. And they have been converted. Even the one dual station both were converted to the NEW standard?

GPowers said:
tbleakne said:
The site must have at least two legacy stations, and one of these must be left as-is to support electric vehicles that depend on the legacy standards. More info and status at:

Most of the Cucamonga location are single stations. And they have been converted. Even the one dual station both were converted to the NEW standard?
Interesting. I will request clarification from my ClipperCreek contact. Maybe the rules have been relaxed.

GotMyleaf said:

Rancho Cucamonga Civic Center
10500 Civic Center Dr.
I charged here today. About 1/4 mile NE across the Civic Center parking lot and Aspen Ave. are two restaurants: Eddy's Cucina Italiana and an Applebees. Didn't try either one.

I was at this same parking lot about 8 months ago, just before I received my Leaf, and I don't recall noticing a charger, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss one. You are sure this location is an legacy upgrade and not a new installation ?

Back