Range issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never use DEFROST since I live in a desert. However, I almost always see 4.5 KW draw on the heater in ECO or D. This is because of my short (3-5 mi) trips. Eventually, the car reaches the setpoint temp and then dials back the heater. Of course all of this depends on the outside temp and air speed. On my rare longer trips, I do see a difference between ECO and D. The best way to observe this is drive with cruise control on and then switch back and forth between ECO and D.

RickV said:
I live in Las Vegas. I drive in eco mode and never use the heater. Two months after I bought the card, the dealer told me to expect only about 46 miles per full charge. That is about the mileage that my car has been getting. What were you told about mileage when you bought your Leafs?

My Leaf is six months old and I would do a flat-out touchdown dance if I got 46. I'm averaging about 36. My dealership tested it yesterday and got a bit more; they told me that my problem is that I insist in using the headlights when it's dark out. (You know, and the law...it's pretty insistent on that, too.)

To answer your question, the paperwork I was given (which they kindly provided again last night) says that the worst-case scenario (14º, stop and go traffic, heat on) should have a range of 62 miles. But my salesman, I have since discovered, had NO IDEA what he was talking about.

Good luck!!

I'm not going to try it, But I'd bet a leaf could do 46 miles on a full charge doing 80 down the freeway with the heater at 80 degrees and the windows open.

TonyWilliams said:
RickV said:
I live in Las Vegas. I drive in eco mode and never use the heater. Two months after I bought the card, the dealer told me to expect only about 46 miles per full charge. That is about the mileage that my car has been getting. What were you told about mileage when you bought your Leafs?

If you are driving 46 miles from 100% charge to DEAD or Turtle mode with no heater in mild Las Vegas, there something wrong with your car (and your dealer for telling you that).

What other people were told has no relevance on your 46 miles. The car is EPA rated for 73 miles, and Nissan claims it will do 100 miles "average" in the USA, 124 to 142 miles in Japan, and 109 miles in Europe.

If the dealer says you'll get 46, and you get around 46, then it sounds like you have bought a second hand one with a very degraded battery.

Flooded, perhaps ... ?

What speed do you drive at, and would it have been a good idea to ask about the range before you bought it? How many battery bars does it have?

Back