Range on a new 2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
My observations and OE's match pretty well.

Now Tony's test proves that the battery capacity is the same in '14 as in every previous year model. Now are there improvements that will give a higher range in city conditions ? Maybe.

End of the day I think a new Leaf has got enough range for most of us to get around daily chores without any range anxiety - until you hit the first summer and then it goes downhill the subsequent summers, not to mention the very cold days.

When I tell someone that you have 75 to 80 miles of range comfortably in summer, almost everyone is impressed, until I get to the part about battery degradation.

The "no worries" range is more like 30 to 35 miles. Quoting best case with new battery on a warm day isn't useful.

stjohnh said:
Did you drive to turtle? If not, why do you say that the distance from VLB to turtle is 5-8 mi?

I did not drive the 2014 to turtle, the 5~8 miles is what I got from the 2013, and given how close results in other areas are between the 2013 & 2014, it is in all likelihood the same too. The weight of the 2013 and 2014 are identical @ 3360 lb., and save a few trim and software changes the 2014 is essentially a carryover of the 2013.

adric22 said:
I can't really explain this.. We just bought a 2013 a few weeks ago after driving a 2011 for 3 years. Our 2011 had lost 2 bars and according to Leafspy it had 78% of its capacity. But I swear, it feels like this 2013 has twice as much range. Now, I don't have any scientific way of justifying that claim other than the number of SOC bars we would lose on any given trip compared to the last car. Even remember how the 2011 was when it was brand new, it just seems the 2013 can go further.
Ditto. I have had the 2014 for 27 days now, driven it over 1300 miles and CONSISTENTLY gotten mid 90s for range without even hitting LBW. Even nicer is that the GOM is actually accurate. Granted, the weather here in Houston has been nearly ideal and I haven't done more than maybe 100 miles on the freeway, but WOW!...talk about a difference. We still have one of our 2011 Leafs, but I don't recall ever being able to hit higher than mid-70s for range. And even those times I could count on one hand (most likely due to what time of year they were put into service). And the feeling that the range is almost double is about right. I do the same routes frequently and almost feel strange not having to plan a QC to make it to the 60 mile mark without concerning myself with LBW. Just imagine if Nissan had built a proper battery from the start; one that actually behaved like they do when brand new and in very temperate environments.

I am consistently seeing about 80-82 miles before lbw on my 2013 which has 780 miles on it. Even then after lbw, it seems I have a solid 10-11 miles before turtle but haven't got here yet. I am in SoCal and have an uphill climb to work and downhill back......no flatland. Flatland woodlands....does not surprise me the 2014 is getting that. Rock on!

Severum

Back