Real World DC quick charge times.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheezmo

How about we post some real QC experiences.

Post starting %, ending %, kWh added, stopwatch time charging...

I'll start...

As reported by evGo display...

31% -> 82%, 10.38 kWh, 16:35

Cheezmo said:
How about we post some real QC experiences.

Post starting %, ending %, kWh added, stopwatch time charging...

I'll start...

As reported by evGo display...

Battery temperature would be crucial to get any viable data.

TonyWilliams said:
Battery temperature would be crucial to get any viable data.

OK, that charge started at 6 bars, ended at 7.

But I'm not thinking this is going to be a down to the millisecond kind of thing. Just a general if I start at this and want to charge to this, about what should I expect. With enough data we should get a general idea.

All of my Blink DCQCs have taken the battery temp to seven bars if starting from six, to six bars if starting from five.
If I'm starting at 50% or above (on the Blink screen) it used to take it to around 94-95% SoC on my gauge (set to 100% on the QC) in about 30 minutes, but now that same charge only takes it to 84-85% SoC on my gauge/12 bars (about a 10% loss of capacity).
If I'm starting below 50% (Blink screen), it used to take it to around 78-79% SoC on my gauge/9-10 bars (set to 100% on the QC) in about 22-23 minutes, then it will stop, but now it stops at around 73-74% on my gauge.
With the Blinks, if you want 80%, you need to choose the '90%' or '100%' on the Blink screen.

I discovered something interesting yesterday with the Blink QC. If you are below 50% (was around 6% SoC) and select '100%' (on the Blink), it will charge a little further (full ten bars) and in less time (21 mins.). Then when you push the timing override switch, choose 100% again on the Blink, it will give you your full charge/12 full bars (it only gives mine 85%) in less time again (17). So that's 38 minutes instead of just less than an hour if you go '90%', then '100%'.

I haven't timed it, but 10 minutes gives quite a bit. I have a nice Fluke DC clamp meter which I've been playing with on a couple DC fast chargers. At full bore the Blink's put out 121 amps, but if the SOC is much above the middle the current seems to taper back quite a bit, 60A is not too uncommon after a few minutes if not very low. This may be the battery temperature also, I can't say for sure.

If I don't need it I've been charging until I see the current drop below ~75 amps. Considering the pack is roughly 60Ah that's a damn quick charge!

Also I used the DCFC at Ecotality's Phoenix office a few weeks ago and I as usual set it to 100% expecting about an 80% charge, but when I got back from lunch around the corner it was all the way full! They claim they didn't make any changes in the software that would do this, but I suspect perhaps this unit has something special or experimental on it.

The current tapers off due to the internal resistance of the cells.. you never want them to exceed 4.2V and too high a charging current can do that. The internal resistance of the cell will change as it ages so dont expect these quick charge times to remain constant.

RickS said:
Also I used the DCFC at Ecotality's Phoenix office a few weeks ago and I as usual set it to 100% expecting about an 80% charge, but when I got back from lunch around the corner it was all the way full! They claim they didn't make any changes in the software that would do this, but I suspect perhaps this unit has something special or experimental on it.

Was your SoC% at or above 50% before you QCd? If so, and you set it for 100%, you will get 12 bars and about 95%. If you were below 50%/6 bars, it will stop at 80%/10 bars when you set it for 100%.
I found a quicker way to get it to 12 bars when it's below 50% (setting it to 100%). The other day, I was at 30% SoC/3 bars and it took it to 80%/10 bars in only 21 min. Then, I reset it to 100% again, and it took only 22 min. for a total of only 43min. It used to take about an hour to get the same result.

Could be the case. When I got 100% I know I was indeed a bit low. I'll pay closer attention next time. Today I went back and charged from roughly 50% and set it to 80% and by the time I made it around the block to 5 guys 14 minutes later I was at three bars from the top and not charging already.

planet4ever said:
Cheezmo said:
I'd like to see some more numbers like these. Note that this is 10.38kWh/0.276 hours = 37.6kW average to an 80% charge. LEAFfan, surely you have or could easily get, a number of such values.

So, basically you waited 16 minutes.

This is something I often have to explain to people when they ask about my car. They always want to know "how long does it take to charge?" I always give them the raw numbers, but make sure that they understand those numbers are from a completely depleted battery to a fully charged state. Then I explain that it is very rare to be charging in such a circumstance. For example, I always tell them my daily charge is usually about 45 minutes on my L2 when I get home from work.

I've suspected the same would be true with a QC. In most cases I suspect it would be rare to pull up to one with a VLB warning going off. So I think your charge time of 16 minutes is actually probably closer to what would be the norm.

adric22 said:
planet4ever said:
Cheezmo said:
I'd like to see some more numbers like these. Note that this is 10.38kWh/0.276 hours = 37.6kW average to an 80% charge. LEAFfan, surely you have or could easily get, a number of such values.

So, basically you waited 16 minutes.

This is something I often have to explain to people when they ask about my car. They always want to know "how long does it take to charge?" I always give them the raw numbers, but make sure that they understand those numbers are from a completely depleted battery to a fully charged state. Then I explain that it is very rare to be charging in such a circumstance. For example, I always tell them my daily charge is usually about 45 minutes on my L2 when I get home from work.

I've suspected the same would be true with a QC. In most cases I suspect it would be rare to pull up to one with a VLB warning going off. So I think your charge time of 16 minutes is actually probably closer to what would be the norm.

i am guessing you saw Wayne's post on Priuschat a few years ago when he was collecting data on how long it took to get gas. well, i tracked that info and exceeded 20 minutes 4 times in 27 outings. i am guessing that a 16.35 charge would add at least 2 minutes. Wayne was tracking time from second you varied from your route to get gas which is in most cases when you turned into the station on your way home.

my situation back then, the station i got gas at (Costco in Hawks Prairie, Lacey WA) was a 150 yard detour but sitting on one of the busiest intersections in the area. time to traverse the 7-8 blocks varied from 2 minutes going to work at 5:30 AM to 10 minutes coming home at 5 PM. so getting out of the flow of traffic at 5 PM took anywhere from 2 minutes (if lucky enough to hit the two lights just right) to 5 minutes if you were not.

so saying that a wait of 15 minutes is not something people will accept, i actually have a picture of about 20 cars willing to wait that long to pay 300% more for gas i can post here if you like. right now, Costco is $4.14 a gallon that is 10-20 cents cheaper than any place in town. they are literally packed all the time now

BUT...

the sad part is our charging habits will be controlled by how they charge for the service. if its by the minute, i am gonna guess that 10-15 minutes will be the average. I am 32 miles from the outlet mall in Centrailia. i can and have done round trips down there and back dozens of times so dont need a QC but that was because i was prepared. knew i had to make the trip, etc. but there will come a time that i will want to go but will not have the full charge making it much more difficult (Summer) or impossible (Winter) to make there and back. with a 10 minute QC it would be a breeze.

One big difference though, is when I gas up the ICE, I can go 400 real miles before I have to do it again...

DaveinOlyWA said:
i am guessing you saw Wayne's post on Priuschat a few years ago when he was collecting data on how long it took to get gas. well, i tracked that info and exceeded 20 minutes 4 times in 27 outings. i am guessing that a 16.35 charge would add at least 2 minutes. Wayne was tracking time from second you varied from your route to get gas which is in most cases when you turned into the station on your way home.

The blink doesn't read out the number of kilowatt hours.
Today I charged from 12 percent/ 1 bar to 71 percent /10 bars in 26 minutes.
Then I charged from 71 percent /10 bars to 82 percent /12 bars in 22 minutes. emember, my percent is battery capacity, not s o c.
From now on my LEAFgauge will be known as a BCM.

Sent with speech to text

Some numbers from my last two quick charges:

Gids(%) start -> end, kWh(*), charge time
------------------------ ---------- --------------
148(52.6%) -> 242(86%), 8.2 kwh, 23 mins
96(34.5%) -> 210(74.7%), 12.2 kwh, 20 mins

(*) As reported by Eaton DC QC unit.

Max charging speeds when my 'SOC' <50% (120a/395v).
Charge rate started dropping when I reached about 50%.
By Gid=242(86%), it had dropped to 20a.
Six battery temp bars each time.

Note, from what I understand the QC will slow down charge rate as it gets closer to 'full'.

So, for instance, a 20% to 60% charge may go quicker than 60% to 100%.

TEG said:
Note, from what I understand the QC will slow down charge rate as it gets closer to 'full'.

That's correct. I went from about 60% to 100% in about 35mins. today. I can go from VLBW (8.5%BC) to 80% (72%BC) in about 22mins.

TEG said:
Yes, that's correct. It starts ramping down as early as about 50%(Gids). I'm not sure how "close to 'full'" you mean.

TEG said:
Yes, 'will go' much quicker.
Here are some numbers from these same two sessions from the Eaton DCQC at the Mitsubishi HQ in Cypress, CA.

V, amps, Gids(%), elapsed time (min)
------------------------ ---------- --------------
393, 85, 148(52.6%), 0
394, 75, 175(62.3%), 2
395, 65, 190(67.6%), 3
394, 45, 213(75.8%), 5
394, 30, 227(80.7%), 10
394, 24, 237(84.3%), 15
394, 20, 242(86.1%), 23
----------
379, 120, 96(34.5%), 0
393, 120, 122(43.4%), 5
396, 89, 166(59.0%), 11
395, 60, 193(69.0%), 16
395, 49, 210(74.7%), 20
----------

So, if you want your time better spent for the amt. of kwh you'll be accepting, it helps to come with a lower SOC than not.

Just FYI.. there's a reason why 80% is the magic number for Lithium-ion batteries. There are two phases of charging.

The first phase of charging is called Constant Current and it is the faster phase. It puts massive current into the battery pack until the pack reaches the voltage limit on each cell. That reaches roughly 80% SOC. Depending on how depleted the pack is should take 30 mins or less.

Which is why most fast chargers are usually set to stop at 80%. Get through the faster phase and get back on the road.

Next phase in the charging process is called Constant Voltage. It takes the battery pack the last 20% by charging at pack voltage but the charge current is usually half of what it was in the first phase and then current slowly declines to 0%. This will take 15 to 20 minutes depending on temp, etc.

--
On a side note if any of you remember the fuss about the new iPad continuing to charge even though it said 100%. That's because it was quickly reaching 80% SOC.. then trailing off. Apple probably decided that it was better to give the impression that the iPad was charging quickly. Most people aren't standing there watching it charge so it would get to 100% SOC eventually and nobody would be the wiser. Except people noticed.

Back