Realistic odds of upgrading 2015 24kWh battery pack?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I wasn't thinking about the heater. We get by with the seat and steering wheel heaters (and appropriate clothing) at temperatures into the teens. I wouldn't bother with heat at all for a one mile drive. To be honest, I won't drive one or two miles unless I need to deliver or pick up something I can't carry - I just walk, run, or ride my bike. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the reality check. A 7+ year-old EV is an anachronism.
I kept my previous car for 21 years but the Leaf isn’t gonna make it anywhere that long. Pity.
Few do. Remember it’s time OR mileage on warranties ant the biggest one is 10 years 100,00 miles. A 21 year old 1 owner car is pretty unusual

Last edited:
Until I bought my Leaf last fall, My NEWEST car was 23 years old, my oldest was 83, this is for running and registered vehicles.
When is a vehicle officially an antique? 30 years? Soon you’ll be able to get collector plates for EVERYTHING..except the leaf.

Never had any collector plates myself. Was gonna get some when I inherited the diesel rabbit, but my step-brother wrapped it around an oak tree.

Trying to find out what percentage of license plates in my state are collector plates. Can’t be more than 5% I think.

Last edited:
I can install the aftermarket LRN 40 kWh battery pack for the Nissan Leaf at my shop in Wisconsin. But the cost is financially unpalatable to most folks.
- All New cells
- 150 mile range
- 3 year/36,000 mile part warranty
Generally ~$14,000 + tax. For now am able to do for $13,000 + tax.

Seeing that Nissan wants $10,000 for a 24 kWh (84 mile) pack, the LRN is a better value.
But, in both cases, that is a large amount to spend.
You can look at other Used EVs instead, especially with a tax credit.

That said, if you want to ever chat about the possibility of upgrading your pack with a New one at an independent shop in the US, feel free to contact me.
Would you be willing to share your source for that new pack?
I've done 1 battery swap and am looking to do another but sourcing good packs in MN is a bear. I see about 1 salvage auction within 200 miles every other month.

electricity cost don't change with the age of the car, how far you can go does.
Agreed with cornbinder. You're unlikely to get close to 40 mpg on a 1 mile drive in any ICE vehicle, especially in the winter, whereas an EV
huh, when I first got the results that I got, I asked around and the understanding that I got on these forums and elsewhere is that part of battery deterioration is also increased internal resistance and a corresponding decrease in efficiency when charging/discharging. Made sense to me, so I assumed my results were typical. I'd sure love to know how I can get to high 3 miles/kWh.
Here are my numbers:
Summer time, no heat (switch to force off resistance heater even when climate control is on), charged using the 120V trickle charger
58.04kWh for 103.3 miles = 1.78 miles/kWh = 56 kWh/100mi
Another test of the same, but let it get more fully empty before charging
83.8kWh for 149 miles = 1.78 miles/kWh = 56 kWh/100mi
winter driving with heat (I know the heat is really bad, but I wanted to know)
300kWh for 374 miles = 1.25 miles/kWh = 80 kWh/100mi

What is you SOC% on your battery? When you charge using the 120V charger, how many amps does it use? Mine will not charge at higher than 8amps. On a level 2 charger, it also charges at much less than the rated, I forget the exact number.

Keep in mind, I drive pretty hard, as in full acceleration/deceleration over that 1 mile. (I make the same 1 mile trip 8-9 times round per day). But I didn't think that was sufficient to explain such a big difference.

yea, you drive it hard, I get upper 3's to lower 4's on my now nine year old leaf. As I said, I have a readout of Kwh used to charge, and miles driven. That Kwh is what is put in the battery for all uses and comes direct from the power feed to the car.
Internal resistance will only effect the rate of charge/discharge, my energy use doesn't vary much from the advertised when the car was new.
Mine is down to 9 bars on the dash. I don't have Leafspy and will not unless someone makes a version that can run on Linux.
In my day, it would be said you are beating on the car, or were a "cowboy", ridden hard and put up wet!

We have a 2014 SV, purchased 2.5 years ago with 61,xxx miles. We recently passed 76K miles, so lets say we've driven 15K miles. The car had 11 SOH bars when we got it and (knocks on wood) still has 11 bars today. We don't have LeafSpy and I've never been bothered to delve deeper into the battery health. When we purchased the car it was over 70 miles away and I made it home without too much stress.

Three or four days/week my wife commutes 16.5 miles each way, on semi-rural (for MA) roads where the speed limit varies from 25-45 mph, and we also use the Leaf for most of our local driving. In the non-winter we run the Ecopia tires at 42 psi; when I switch to the winter Nokian tires, which have a much stiffer sidewall, I lower the pressure to the mid-30s for a bit more comfort on our horrible roads.

Neither my wife nor I, to paraphrase Mr. cornbinder, beat on the car, and as a result our lifetime average is 5.1 miles/kWh. I have never turned the heat on in the Leaf while driving as the steering wheel and seat warmer (plus appropriate clothes) are good enough for me. My wife does use the heat sometimes, which makes sense as she's generally drives the car for longer trips than I do. I wouldn't bother with heat for a one mile drive.

Based on your driving style description, I am not surprised that you have poor efficiency, although your numbers are pretty extreme. I think you're sitting around Hummer EV efficiency, which is quite a feat in an EV that is about 1/3 the weight of the Hummer.

It would be no different if you drove an ICE car in the same fashion: jack rabbit starts, hard braking (i.e., turning your momentum directly into waste heat), high speeds, and short trips are going to yield very poor "fuel" efficiency.

Would you be willing to share your source for that new pack?
I've done 1 battery swap and am looking to do another but sourcing good packs in MN is a bear. I see about 1 salvage auction within 200 miles every other month.
Sorry, these are for installation at Leaf Repair Network shops only. Not sold to consumers.
Feel free to call me sometime if you have other questions. Always happy to chat about sourcing packs in general. Not just the LRN 40 kWh packs. 608-729-4082

hmmm.... Interesting 🧐 I guess I'll drive like grandma 😜 for a week and see what happens. I don't know if I can do it.

hmmm.... Interesting 🧐 I guess I'll drive like grandma 😜 for a week and see what happens. I don't know if I can do it.
It's not so much driving like a grandma as NOT driving like you're a character in a Fast and Furious movie. Living your life 1/4 mile at a time sounds sweet when you're a teenager, but once you're the one paying to fill the tank - with electricity, gas, diesel, whatever - it gets expensive very quickly.

Regarding grandma driving, over the last 10 years of her life I never saw my grandma, who I rode with frequently, use a mirror or turn signal. When questioned she would say "the Lord is my copilot!" Whatever you choose to do, please don't drive like my grandma.

Regarding grandma driving, over the last 10 years of her life I never saw my grandma, who I rode with frequently, use a mirror or turn signal. When questioned she would say "the Lord is my copilot!" Whatever you choose to do, please don't drive like my grandma.

When I go I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather - not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Nope, no "smart phone" at all. I'm not buying one and paying for data to download leafspy either.

LOL. I realize you are portraying yourself as a paranoid, penny pinching curmudgeon, but your participation on this forum puts that tale to rest. Unless you are using free public internet at a library ?

Regarding LeafSpy, you don't need a data plan, or even a phone plan. Use you home internet connection to put LeafSpy on any old android or apple phone. The tech required is BT, and either Wi-fi or a USB cable.

Costs are the OBD2 adapter and a couple of dollars for LeafSpy. I'll guess $20 - $30 total. It will be the cheapest entertainment you ever bought (and help you with your car, to boot.)

Last edited:
Back