Realistic odds of upgrading 2015 24kWh battery pack?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornbinder isn't alone in not having a smart phone. I've never owned any sort of mobile phone, and have never wanted to. I also don't participate in social media, except for two auto-related forums (here and FitFreak.com), which are sort of like social media's weird but kind-hearted cousin from the Ozarks.

Being full of contradictions, I also own a Leaf and use a computer all day for work and for the Internet. The difference is, when I want to be done with the computer I turn it off and leave the room. Few folks do that with their phone.

My early experience with mobile phones, based on observing my siblings who got them in high school, was that everyone (including your mother!) expected you to be available 24 hrs per day, if not for phone calls then at least for texts (another fun fact, I've never texted!). It was evident to me pretty early on that mobile phones (and social media) are engineered to commandeer our attention, and I think observing the typical behavior of people in public (crooked necks, peering into phone screens and oblivious to the world around them) shows how successful they have been. More than a few people in my personal orbit have dramatically reduced attention spans and are mostly incapable of spending more than a minute or two doing nothing without having to grab at their phones.

Reminds me of how my mom used to frantically grab for her pack(s) of cigarettes every 30 minutes when I was a kid.

Before you ask, it is indeed becoming increasingly difficult to exist in the modern world without a mobile phone, especially with regard to banking, making appointments, etc., but I am incredibly stubborn and will avoid it as long as possible. Maybe I'll get gravestone carved to look like an iPhone and it can say "They finally got him!"

Thanks for that.
I do carry a cel phone, it is a ruggedized model than can be dropped into water and survive (and I have put it to that test, not on purpose). I do not text. My phone model comes in two forms, one with a camera and one without, it is made without so can be carried in "secure" locations and not take pictures or transmit them to the outside world.
It is a "flip" phone and can text, but makes you work hard to do so!
When I was trucking, I did go into "secure" locations, but also needed to be able to be contacted out on the road.
Even if I had a data plan for this phone the small screen size would make it useless for doing so.
Post that say you can use a android phone without any service make two wrong assumptions. One that you have or cheaply purchase an Android smart phone, and two there is a way to make an internet connection without using a wifi connection between it and the cel network to download the program. If you can side load it via USB with some other device that does have a connection, or if you have a local wifi router that is connected to the internet in some way, that may be possible, but not a given.
I have ethernet cables to the router.

One that you have or cheaply purchase an Android smart phone. and two there is a way to make an internet connection without using a wifi connection between it and the cel network to download the program

E.g, iPod touch. They start at $1 + S/H on Ebay. As for Wi-fi (if you do not want to bother with a cable connection to your PC), just leach off a friend or business you trust for 30 seconds. And even if you do not trust them, close down the Wi-fi after you have your program. End of melodrama.

This entire business of security paranoia usually makes me laugh, because a little digging unearths people with Windows computers connected to the internet **. Or people with Linux who are quite incapable of setting up an uber-safe distro without closed software.

** Lest cornbinder89 thinks I am writing about him -- I am not. I am thinking of my wife, who has paranoia about identity theft but has yet to grasp how to deal with man-in-the-middle security issues in her daily computing and communicating. Last week I texted her that I needed help with a stuck car, but she refused to call me back out of concern that I was someone else. I also called her from someone else's phone, but the caller ID made her all the more suspicious. Sheesh. So while I have put her on Linux in the past and she uses Mac and Android today, the unresolved issues are understanding. This came up this week when a button appeared on her Google App 'Keep' asking her to reload the program. I am always shown these occurrences because she wants me to bless what she wants to do. I asked her who the button was from , and she told me it is from Keep. I asked her how she knew that.

Arrgh

Last edited:
For some reason this conversation with @cornbinder89 has caught my attention <<shrug>>

It is only in the last year that I bother to carry a smart phone. I've had one for years but I'm not really inclined to be that accessible, and if I succumb to my natural tendencies, the phone is dead when I have a reason to use it. Nowadays I'm "encouraged" to carry it at work for the Tele, camera, information retrieval and SMS, and I find the biometric ID more secure than my computer. I've also come to realize that for many businesses the phone is where they pour their R&D dollars, while the web takes backseat. So even though I prefer using my notebook computer at home, the phone is inching its way into my life. Mostly I view a smartphone as a telephone + camera + computer with a too small display and rotten keyboard. That said, today I added a reminder to buy something, set up an alarm for an appointment, and sent an appointment address to the car -- all from the phone. I have to admit, they can be pretty darn useful.

But I still pretty much reject 'social media,' and have no use for the smart phone as an entertainment device. Regarding security, I view all communication I did not initiate as fake until proven otherwise, and I treat all my data accessible via network as vulnerable. I don't concern myself with the comm method anywhere near as much as I take steps to minimize the value of any stolen data. This takes several forms: sensitive information is encoded using a personal vocabulary that relies on a rare language. 2-factor authentication for important transactions, and Google passwords for more routine stuff. I also require financial institutions to contact me for voice authorization and verification of high value transactions that I initiate. Schwab is way ahead of the curve in this area. In short, I tier my behavior proportional to its value if stolen

Lastly, I don't sleep with prostitutes or go anywhere near MS Windows. That is just common sense

Last edited:
I've been a computer user since 1979 but didn't get a smartphone (or any kind of cellphone) until 2015. My wife was skeptical until she got one in 2020. She now cannot live without hers, and I absolutely require mine for work.

One can remain unassimilated for only so long.

As to buying a used Android based phone, possible solution but you can't really tell what your buying off the internet, and 1) I don't want to be buying a phone someone stole, and 2) getting recourse if the phone doesn't work for some reason will be a hassle
But one of the biggest reasons, is I want the higher resolution and screen size afforded on my Laptop. For you young one, some day you'll find you can't see things as clearly on a small screen.
I have no problem spending a little to get Leafspy, I much prefer I could run it on my Linux machine rather than a little smart phone.

If you can side load it via USB with some other device that does have a connection, or if you have a local wifi router that is connected to the internet in some way, that may be possible, but not a given.
I have ethernet cables to the router.
With Android you can technically, but you would still need someone to get a copy of the APK file for you before you could manually load it on the phone. Any cheap $20 walmart phone would work, just take out the SIM card, make sure it has bluetooth and some version of Android higher than probably like 4 or 5, not sure what the minimum is for LeafSpy; which means any phone made after 2011 should work. ;)

Or better yet, just buy the cheap phone and have someone else do the work to get it stripped of all the "crapware" they come with and just install LeafSpy at the latest version, then you can just disable the wifi, remove sim card, change password, etc. That should make it a secure air-gaped phone. :unsure:

Last edited:
But one of the biggest reasons, is I want the higher resolution and screen size afforded on my Laptop. For you young one, some day you'll find you can't see things as clearly on a small screen.

I hear you on that, but LeafSpy is easy to read, even for us half-blind bats

Or better yet, just buy the cheap phone and have someone else do the work to get it stripped of all the "crapware" they come with and just install LeafSpy at the latest version

You could, but why bother ?. Once LeafSpy is installed, wi-fi shut off, and the SIM removed, the only thing malware can talk to is Leafspy :)

Back