Rear-ended... need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fbarbat said:
I have to correct my previous statement as I just called the bodyshop and they told me that they had to have the battery removed at the dealer and they will finish the repair first and then have the battery placed back on the car. But the reason for that was the trunk bed which was bent and it is too close to the battery to safely work on it...

I have a trunk bed damage, too, it is slight, I am told. the impact must have been somewhat less, as my shock-absorbing bar is just dented, not twisted and bent as yours was.
of course, that will be replaced.

Update on the repair:
-battery is coming out because of proximity and heat from welding, as well as to avoid any paint-baking heat affects.
-DMV says 6 weeks to new stickers.

I am going to reuse the old ones.

I didn't even talk to them.... I just followed the instructions and recovered the old ones and sent them in with a check for $8, providing brief info on the form you need to submit. Got them in 10 days or so... You can not use the old ones..... when you peel them of, the word VOID pops up all over....

Turns out the fellow I spoke with at DMV who said "6 weeks to replace the stickers" was wrong.
the replacements arrived 15 days after the check was mailed with the collision report saying the bumper was being replaced.
happy day. but the car is still two weeks from being back to me.

it appears that I will get RED back on july 5, more than a month after the rear-ending.
my biggest worry: what the impact will be to the battery that had to get out and be put back in.
for those of you wondering where your insurance premiums are headed, they put about $3800 on the cost of the 12k damages to cover the removal and reinstall.
that was to prevent danger and damage during painting and high-impact welding.
Also the shop had it taken on a flatbed to the dealer before and after for that work.

i am also worried about the paint durability; but that is a non-EV issue. and getting all the resets and codes installed right, includind carwings passwords and things I have forgotten from more than a year ago when I got RED.

I was curious about why they told me that after reinstall that the car was NOT in drive mode but some other mode that allowed them to move it around the shop. it will be put in Drive mode for my use.

finally, the only good thing, I got them to install my Fiamms. no cut knuckles here.

We picked up our car last Monday, Jul 2-nd... :D Basically more than 5 weeks after the accident... Everything seems to me OK, all the previous custom setting were preserved, the car looks and runs like new... Total cost... $10K ( $9K for the repair and $1K for the rental). Way too expensive on my view... That explains why our insurance rates are so high... :(

fbarbat said:
We picked up our car last Monday, Jul 2-nd... :D Basically more than 5 weeks after the accident... Everything seems to me OK, all the previous custom setting were preserved, the car looks and runs like new... Total cost... $10K ( $9K for the repair and $1K for the rental). Way too expensive on my view... That explains why our insurance rates are so high... :(

sir,
did your battery come out for the welding and painting?
was your bill for that like mine-$3900?

fbarbat,
did you get your Leaf back yet?

I am due mine today, almost six weeks after the rear-ender. I drove my old ICE all that time.
I will be glad to have Red back.
I will report on any interesting details.
HOV stickers took about three weeks to get from accident to arrival.
The repair, which seemed somewhat less extensive in impact from the pics of your accident, but very similar in site, were about 12k, including battery removal, storage and reinstall.
I will find out more later today and report to the forum.

thankyouOB said:
fbarbat said:

sir,
Yes, they took the car to the dealership to do that and was around $1,400 plus $200 towing charges...

fbarbat said:
thankyouOB said:
fbarbat said:

sir,
Yes, they took the car to the dealership to do that and was around $1,400 plus $200 towing charges...

they got $3900 for the battery in and out, otherwise the bills are pretty much similar. my total was $12,300. I had no rental coverage and the other guy maxed out at 10k liability.
everything seems fine, but I havent driven on the freeway yet. I took the slow roads home.
It was very expensive, and I have to wonder at the huge discrepancy in the battery removal and replacement charges, but Safeco approved them and paid it.
I am very glad to have it back. I missed the quiet ride and the calming influence of an EV.
People were rushing all around in and out of lanes. I was just chill. And I got to play my iPhone music and use the blue tooth phone.
fantastic.
now to put on the stickers and put in the new floor mats.
I also had the Fiamms installed by the shop. BEEEEEEP Beep.

Last Friday, a deer ran into the driver's side of my car as I was heading down the highway. :-(

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom on this forum!

I'm just hoping the longevity of the car isn't going to be compromised.

I wonder if I could take the insurance money plus the rebates and tax credits to buy a new 2013 with the improved heater! :)

hbleaf said:
any updates on the Red SL Leaf? I noticed another red SL with Salvage title for sale in the LA area I wondered if that is yours?
got it back and it is fine some 13k of AAA money later.

fbarbat said:
Sorry to hear that... Hopefully not significant damage...
What happen with the deer??? :)

The rear door and quarter panel are nicely dented, and even the door jamb has a wrinkle in it.

I looked in my rearview mirror after I heard the thud and saw the deer scrambling to get onto its feet in between the two lanes of traffic. It then ran between two cars and off the other side of the highway.

And get this: I've been running a fever this week, so I went to see my doctor. He thinks I might have Lyme disease!?! :-(

The State Farm insurance estimator just handed me the numbers:

$70 new front door decal
$184 new rear door skin
$630 new rear quarter panel
$432 paint supplies
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
$1,386 total parts
$2,218 total labor
$216 tax @ 6%
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
$3,820 total

He highlighted and put big stars around the section saying that the oven can't go over 140 degrees, so he didn't quote a price for R&I of the battery pack, etc. I forgot to ask him about the heat from the welding of the rear quarter panel.

Now I need to decide whether to take it to the dealer or to a State Farm approved repair shop.

What does everyone here think?

And, should I demand that they drop the battery pack?

yup.
for sure.
if not, you will always wonder whether you got your car back running the way it should.

Mine was removed. If you read the above thread, you will see that the cost for that varies greatly and should be negotiated by the insurance company.

alternatively, they can paint the parts OFF the car.
welding would be the other issue for the battery, I was told.
Also, I confused your accident with a hoary front-ender that includes some pics.
your hit does not seem so bad.
best of luck to you.

the five weeks my Leaf was in the shop just proved to me how much I value it. Driving to and fro in LA in it significantly reduced the stress of commuting.

yeswaydude said:
fbarbat said:
Shouldn't have anything to do with the deer though... Hopefully you'll get well soon!

No, it shouldn't -- just ironic!

Unless the deer had a tick on it and he was driving with his window open. The impact from the deer dislodged the not fully integrated tick which then flew into the window and landed on the driver. The tick sensing opportunity latches onto its new host and proceeds to infect.

*Didn't say it was probable, just possible.* :lol:

Back