RearView Monitor not standard in MY2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

In researching the availability of the RVC (Rear View Camera) as standard equipment for the 2013 LEAF, I found that indeed, none of the trim levels have the RVC as standard equipment. The reasoning was that owners desire for a RVC was low, and the desire to de-content the LEAF to meet pricing targets.

My question to this group is:

1. How do you feel about that? i.e. not having a RVC as part of the standard equipment on any LEAF trim level, despite it being standard with the SL trim in prior years.

2. How does not having a RVC available except as part of an options bundle effect your LEAF purchase decision?

3. For the mid-level and high-level trims (SV & SL) bundles that include the AVM (Around View Monitor) and Bose sound enhancements, which part of the bundle do you value more, the AVM or the Bose sound system?

4. Would you prefer to have a standalone option of buying just a RVC or AVM?

The good news is that for the 2014 model year the NHTSA has issued rules that require all cars to have a RVC.

OrientExpress said:
In researching the availability of the RVC (Rear View Camera) as standard equipment for the 2013 LEAF, I found that indeed, none of the trim levels have the RVC as standard equipment. The reasoning was that owners desire for a RVC was low, and the desire to de-content the LEAF to meet pricing targets.
IMO, it is a very poor decision. How exactly did Nissan conclude that "owners desire for a RVC was low" ? I bet most people here would have liked RVM in SV/SL trims.

I'd definitely pay for a separate RVM option - something not combined with an unconnected speaker package. Infact I'd pay for a separate Around View as well.

This has been my first car with a RVC and I have found that I really like it and didn't realize what a difference it could make in terms of safety and convenience.

Imho, it should be standard equipment on all cars.

But seeing as how that is not yet required, I would rather not be forced to purchase a "bundle" to acquire it. I don't think Nissan should "play hard to get" with what is ultimately a safety feature.

It's very doubtful we will purchase a 2013 LEAF, but I will say the RVC is one of our favorite features on our 2011 SL.
OrientExpress said:
The good news is that for the 2014 model year the NHTSA has issued rules that require all cars to have a RVC.
That makes it even harder to understand why they left it off all three trim levels of the 2013. I can see leaving it off the S trim level, since the goal was to get the price down.

I am disappointed that a safety feature was decontented to save money. It also seems silly to remove the camera (probable cost around $50?) only to add it back in the very next model year.

I'm not thrilled with the new option packages. I like the RVC and would also like the around-view if I was getting a 2013 Leaf. But I definately do not want the Bose as it takes up valuable trunk space. So if I had to choose I would get neither (or get both and remove the subwoofer if it is possible).

I do not see why these options are bundled.

1. How do you feel about that? i.e. not having a RVC as part of the standard equipment on any LEAF trim level, despite it being standard with the SL trim in prior years.

it sucks and I am surprised. I am glad someone pointed this out because I assumed that it was standard on the SV/SL and AVM was an upgrade to it.

2. How does not having a RVC available except as part of an options bundle effect your LEAF purchase decision?

not purchasing and now that I am driving a Fiesta rental (first car without rear view in 8+ years) I find that I miss it VERY VERY much

3. For the mid-level and high-level trims (SV & SL) bundles that include the AVM (Around View Monitor) and Bose sound enhancements, which part of the bundle do you value more, the AVM or the Bose sound system?

at my age, nothing can make my hearing work better. waste of money for me. ;)

4. Would you prefer to have a standalone option of buying just a RVC or AVM?

i believe in options, the more the merrier on everything. so answer should be obvious. Having worked in the car sale business briefly, that is by far the #1 complaint of buyers. nothing else even comes close. about half the deals I was involved in was negotiating the price of options. Ford had the "moon and tune" promo which basically meant you got upgraded stereo and sunroof free which only paid about Half of the package price which naturally include the "real" features (BT, etc)

I understand the bundling thing but at the same time, each of the most desired features should be standalone.

for the LEAF;

NAV
QC
Camera
6.6 charger

Nubo said:
This has been my first car with a RVC and I have found that I really like it and didn't realize what a difference it could make in terms of safety and convenience.

But seeing as how that is not yet required, I would rather not be forced to purchase a "bundle" to acquire it. I don't think Nissan should "play hard to get" with what is ultimately a safety feature.

I totally endorse this post.
I would not have ordered the rear-camera, but now I would not be without it.
unclear to me that view-around cam is the same.
RVC should be standard or a stand alone option -- an upgraded sound system is not a must have.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose. The fact that you have to buy the "upgraded" speakers to get a rear view camera is stupid. This is a safety feature that should be included on both the SV and SL. Bad decision by Nissan to be cheap.

Nubo said:

+1! If I decide to get a 2013, I'm going to look into an add-on RVC. I was told they are inexpensive .

I love the "RVC" in my 2011, and would not consider getting another LEAF without it...

I want the "AVC", 17" wheels, Metallic Slate paint, and 6.6kW charger from the 2013, but probably won't trade in to 2011 towards a 2013 because I would have to get leather with the SL package.
( I want black cloth seats, not leather. )
So, the 2013 packages don't work quite right for me.

I was thinking maybe SV seeing if I could get the 17" wheels swapped in, but if SV doesn't have a back up camera forget that...

Wouldn't consider an S because I want LED headlights and NAV at a minimum. Steel wheels are a non-starter.

My suggestion: Even at this late date, make the RVC standard for at least the SV and SL. IMHO this issue must have been overlooked somehow!

I'm actually thinking that, from a particular perspective, it's pretty cool. I wouldn't do without one now, having had one, but superior aftermarket options can be had for less than the stock one will add, even if they don't have it in a bundle. With the S relying on a less-integrated head unit, I'm betting it will be a lot less troublesome to replace with aftermarket... hopefully... and rearview cameras are dirt cheap if your head unit supports it.

For that matter, the stock head unit - at least on 2011 - reads the rearview camera from a simple composite video input. I bet it would be pretty simple to put an aftermarket rvc even on a stock head unit (though probably not the S head unit)

In my experience, aftermarket electronics are almost always both less expensive and superior, so I think it's good that they offer it as an option (leaving those who want aftermarket the option of not buying it). Though forcing you to buy a package for it does suck...

I ordered a 2011 SV and got switched to an SL. The only SL unique function I have made any significant use of is the RVC, and I love it.

If I were to get a 2013 it would be an S + Charge Package, and of the three components (6kW charger, QC, RVC) by far the most valuable to me would be the RVC. I use it every day on my 2011. The QC I have used once. Other than overnight charges (where the speed doesn't matter) I have charged on L2 four times in 20 months, and those were all boosts of an hour or less.

As for the 2013 SV or SL, perhaps I would change my mind if I had the Around View Monitor, but it seems terribly gimmicky to me. And the Bose speaker? I'd rip it out if I could, to get the space back.

Ray

TEG said:
II was thinking maybe SV seeing if I could get the 17" wheels swapped in, but if SV doesn't have a back up camera forget that...
You can get SV + charger pkg + premium pkg. You will get Bose extra - and would have to swap the wheels.

This is what I'll probably end up doing (minus the wheel swap).

OrientExpress: I am not clear on how easy it is to use the AVM feature, etc versus the RVC (which I am familiar with on my 2011 SL). Is it possible some people will greatly prefer the RVC over the AVM, yet it not be available because they want an SV or SL (and so only can get the AVM via the P01 Premium Package)?

Back