Report: Nissan Leaf curb weight around 3,500 pounds, about t

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/02/report-leaf-curb-weight-around-3-500-pounds-about-the-same-as/

"Very little has been mentioned thus far regarding the curb weight of the Nissan Leaf. Our initial shot at the vehicle's poundage came way back last year when we estimated, from information provided by Nissan, that the Leaf would be somewhere around 3,000 pounds. Now, the more we know about the Leaf, the more inaccurate that early estimate appears to be. So... here's our new shot at getting it right, but this time we've got a little bit of help from the gents over at HybridCars and a lot more working knowledge of the Leaf to go on. According to HybridCars, which cites an undisclosed Nissan representative, the Leaf will tip the scales right around 3,500 pounds. Coincidentally, that's also the approximate weight of the upcoming 2011 Chevrolet Volt.
"

Cacti said:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/02/report-leaf-curb-weight-around-3-500-pounds-about-the-same-as/
"

Cacti.....I do rather wish you'd check first to see if some of the stuff you've been posting hasn't already been discussed. I think you'd find, in many cases, that it has. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from posting, but just to be certain that you're posting new information.

mwalsh said:
Cacti.....I do rather wish you'd check first to see if some of the stuff you've been posting hasn't already been discussed. I think you'd find, in many cases, that it has. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from posting, but just to be certain that you're posting new information.

+1.

Also, note the topic title. THe title max size is rather small here - so words get cut etc. You would need to change the title a little to make sense of it.

If the Leaf is 3500 lbs it is sad for a "ground up " EV, even in it's size class. That is not good news and if you live with hills your range is really going to suffer. Key here, purpose built EV, at least they say it is. I was expecting them to do better, at least under 3200.

Speaking of weight...how many feel the need to shed a few pounds personally to help maximize range? I'm a bit top heavy right now, if I had to be honest, and could do with loosing something like 30lbs (though I'd be happy enough with 10-15). I blame spending 8 hours a day in front a computer screen! It couldn't be the fondness for beer and snacks, surely? :lol:

With current battery technology, that's probably right, given the claimed 100 mile range per charge. The more Ampere Hours you lug around, the more the battery weighs.

Fortunately in the LEAF, the bulk of this weight is between the wheelbase and VERY low so handling and stability should be confidence inspiring.

If you want the best acceleration and handling from an ICE vehicle, carry no more than a gallon of gas in the tank. Won't get you very far but it would be fun for a little while...

Pipemajor said:
With current battery technology, that's probably right, given the claimed 100 mile range per charge. The more Ampere Hours you lug around, the more the battery weighs.

Fortunately in the LEAF, the bulk of this weight is between the wheelbase and VERY low so handling and stability should be confidence inspiring.

If you want the best acceleration and handling from an ICE vehicle, carry no more than a gallon of gas in the tank. Won't get you very far but it would be fun for a little while...

The pack weight subtracted from the vehicle still makes it a heavy car. Even a modern conversion could be done at the same weight, this is not a conversion.

This is mostly speculation, right?

The gasoline engine removed from the Versa is replaced by inverters, additional cabling, an electric motor and extra equipment found on the Leaf, but absent on the base Versa. All of these extras found in the Leaf should make up for the mass of the displaced Versa powerplant, leaving just the weight of the battery and lengthened platform to account for.

A couple questions come to mind. What about the lack of a gas tank? Between the gas and the tank, plus the filler neck, etc that's probably over 100 lbs. And wouldn't the versa's transaxle weigh more than the reduction gearbox/differential on the leaf?

mwalsh said:
Cacti said:
"

I apologize, thanks for pointing that out to me.

evnow said:
mwalsh said:

+1.

Also, note the topic title. THe title max size is rather small here - so words get cut etc. You would need to change the title a little to make sense of it.

I apologize, thanks for pointing that out to me.

maybe we should take a poll as to what we predict the weight will be. i cant see it weighing 3500 lbs either. its about the same size as a Prius, (~2950 lbs) the battery pack is heavier, but it has no motor. granted the Prius is probably the champ at reducing weight with use of aluminum and plastic, but i cant believe there would be a 500+ lbs difference.

my vote; 3200 lbs

mwalsh said:
I thought we already did that? Or was it on PC? I get confused between the two sometimes.
Yup, already done:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=271

Back