Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil,
I am interested in buying new upgraded unit from you, wonder if you will be able to ship before June 17?

http://evseupgrade.com NEW UNITS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK!

I can wait until the initial waves subside. I learned my lesson from shipping overnight the first time, plus this upgrade is my only L2 charger.

However, I'll be *more* than happy if anyone in SoCal wants to swap their Rev2 to a Rev1 to be more compatible with Quick220 :)

EdmondLeaf said:
Phil,
I am interested in buying new upgraded unit from you, wonder if you will be able to ship before June 17?

http://evseupgrade.com NEW UNITS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK!
We have a large order of new units in with Nissan out of Japan (units were on national backorder).

Unfortunately, They are not very forthcoming with delivery dates, so we are in the dark. (are you surprised? =) If you place an order now and we don't have stock soon, we will be happy to give a full refund. Placing an order now reserves your place in line.

-Phil

Phil, this 1st wave you're doing is only for customers who already had Rev1 installed and now want to add Rev2, right?

For customers who already paid for both Rev1 and Rev2 but have not sent in their EVSE yet, they can send theirs in at any time to have both Rev1 and Rev2 done at the same time, and don't have to wait for any "wave", right? Thanks.

I shipped my Rev1 from Los Angeles today for the upgrade and UPS said it would be delivered Friday June 3 in case anyone is trying to estimate whether they can ship within the deadline.

Volusiano said:
Phil, this 1st wave you're doing is only for customers who already had Rev1 installed and now want to add Rev2, right?

For customers who already paid for both Rev1 and Rev2 but have not sent in their EVSE yet, they can send theirs in at any time to have both Rev1 and Rev2 done at the same time, and don't have to wait for any "wave", right? Thanks.
Correct. It's much easier once we have the units apart to just add the additional Rev 2. Opening sealed existing units is much more work, which is why are decided to do them over the weekend instead of disrupting normal work.

-Phil

Phil,

I missed the last Bayleaf meeting and bringing my L1 unit. I still have the original Nissan L1 and would like it to be upgraded to Rev2. What is the process as it isn't clear? Also, do I just meet you at the meet at give you my L1 unit? If for some reason I am unable to come then do I mail it?

aminorjourney said:
Hi folks,

Let's get one thing straight: As an enthusiast and a Leaf owner I love the idea of the modified Level 2 EVSE.

I've been driving EVs a long time and I've even hacked my own cars, both successfully (new BMS in my first EV) and unsuccessfully (fire in a PHEV)

But as a reporter and commentator it's my job to make sure people know both sides of the argument. Hopefully the more recent article addresses that. Reminding people that any modifications are undertaken at their own risk would be there for everything from overinflating tires to installing a new stereo. This mod goes in the same category. In most cases it won't make a slight bit of difference, but that little disclaimer stops someone from getting cross and saying "well, you didn't tell me".

In short, everyone here is an enthusiast and understands how the upgrade does what it does. Most general public consumers don't care and don't understand. Ignorance then leads to misunerstanding, which then leads to angry consumers.

I just make sure everyone understands that it's up to them, not You, me, or EVSEupgrade.com. The consumer makes the choice.

Does that mean I think this unit isn't up to scratch? No. I think it looks great and quite frankly, I've been thinking of getting one as the U.K. portable EVSE only offers 10A @230V.

Nikki.
Thanks Nikki,

I think you got it about right in this article, though your previous one was a bit harsh. :p

I've received several inquiries from UK LEAF owners, and I'm offering an upgrade to them for $48 (USD) to set the Amperage to 13A or 16A. The owner will have to cover shipping both ways, and pay any duties, GST, or customs fees, though I think that since it's not a new product but service for one already owned by a UK citizen, the cost should be minor.

-Phil

I'd like to request that people not fill this thread up with personal requests. Not only does it pollute the thread, but also wastes my time. I have customer service helpers that can answer your questions if directed to the web site or email directly, so I will NO LONGER BE ANSWERING ORDER QUESTIONS HERE!

Thanks!

Ingineer said:
Ok, we are now accepting orders for existing customers with Rev1 units to get the Rev2 upgrade. quote]

I just ordered Rev2 and would be senidng my Rev1 tomorrow.
Thanks Phil.

Hello,
Just sent my mini evse back for the rev 2 upgrade. What the hey, perfect timing for me since Nissan has my Leaf held captive. ;)

ON EDIT: Just checked UPS tracking and it is "out for delivery" Friday 10:00 AM, 6/3/11 :D

I paid for the Rev1 upgrade back in April before the price went up, but just sent the unit in Tuesday (had to wait to borrow a friend's EVSE, it's our only charge source). Phil should be getting it today according to UPS tracking. So should I paypal another $48 to get the rev2 upgrade? The website order button only has that with a $20 shipping option.

Nancy

Just to have the future flexibility at a relatively small cost, I would.

wildcatzoo said:
I paid for the Rev1 upgrade back in April before the price went up, but just sent the unit in Tuesday (had to wait to borrow a friend's EVSE, it's our only charge source). Phil should be getting it today according to UPS tracking. So should I paypal another $48 to get the rev2 upgrade? The website order button only has that with a $20 shipping option.

Nancy

wildcatzoo said:

Nancy
Contact Phil using the website. He can do a refund and new invoice. I did that to add a couple pigtails.

I did the same. Paid up front before the price increase. Then I wanted to add a few more pig tails and the Volt upgrade, so he gave me a refund and created a new invoice with the additions. Then the Rev2 came along and I asked him and he just sent me another invoice for $48. I haven't sent him my EVSE yet. I'm picking up my Leaf today.

TEG said:
I hope Phil brings as many updated units as possible to the SF meet this weekend.
I plan to bring my unmodified stock (used only once) unit to the meeting in the hope that I might be able to trade it in as credit towards one of the already modified EVSErev2 units. (Don't need Volt compatibility... Would want a NEMA5-15 pigtail, and a bare wire pigtail.)

Doing a direct trade at the meeting would avoid shipping hassles, and any downtime without the ability to charge.

Phil, are you keeping a "wait list" for those coming to the meeting on Saturday?
This is the wrong thread for this, please see the post in the meeting thread. Most people on the forum are not coming to the meeting, so they do not need this information.

I would again like to ask that this thread stay clean and keep posts on topic.

Thanks!

-Phil

My rev 2 EVSE upgrade arrived. It is NOT recommended that you use it with a Quick220, but I have the 20Amp Quick 220 model and wanted to see if it worked, it did. Here is a picture of them in action.
20110601%20043.JPG

Note the adapters between the EVSE and the Quick 220 were not needed. Both units are L6-20, but I wanted to test the L6-20 to L14-30 adapter.

Back