Rex for the leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Den said:
xado1 said:
and the leaf charges only with 3kw here in austria.

What was the SOC and outside temperature? If battery is almost full and/or outside temperature is extremely cold then that can be a reason. Try to charge at low SOC.

by law the leaf has only a 3,3kw charger in germany and austria.
other countries have the option to order 6,6kw for 1.000.-$ extra

I also am hoping to go ice free... so how about a battery extender battery. Add on pack that fits where spare tire would have... and maybe even a trailer hitch attachment to haul another Aero packaged, CHAdeMO and J-Plug chargeable, battery pack behind the car to extend the range. Something that could be rented when needed maybe.

jsongster said:
I also am hoping to go ice free... so how about a battery extender battery. Add on pack that fits where spare tire would have... and maybe even a trailer hitch attachment to haul another Aero packaged, CHAdeMO and J-Plug chargeable, battery pack behind the car to extend the range. Something that could be rented when needed maybe.

I would be interested in these things. I would be more into them if Nissan offered them and could bundle the deal with my existing Lease (i.e.: if we add $x amount per month to your lease through the remaining duraation, you can have a trailer that has an extra 12-24 kWh (or whatever can be done), and which does not affect handling prohibitively). Given Nissan's marketing positioning the Leaf as ultra-clean versus a PHEV, I would not expect them to offer a gasoline or other hydrocarbon powered generator. I think the idea you mention (I haven't seen it elsewhere that I recall) for a battery trailer is perhaps a good solution, especially if Nissan may have an upcoming issue with offering more kWh on newer vehicles, and folks questioning the value of older lower-range vehicles. Maybe a trailer would solve that? I reckon it would need to be tested exensively and any results assimilated before Nissan would consider putting it out there.

I won't hold my breath for Nissan or anyone to get this done in an affordable way that is in-sync with my own lease timing, but in theory I like the ideas.

Back