Rimz (& Tires)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since most of us will be getting our Leafs when there is snow on the ground (or the threat), what do most of us plan on doing?

Here in Oregon, studded tires are popular from November through March, however since I don't currently have any other vehicles I'm thinking about going with winter tires ("studless" tires) on their own dedicated steel wheels. I used to always use studded tires, but throwing chains on isn't as big of a deal as I originally thought when it's necessary.

I figure that when it snows, the Leaf will have decreased range anyhow, so being able to throw winter tires on get where I need to go won't be as big of a deal if the tires are on dedicated wheels...

DarkStar said:
Well, since most of us will be getting our Leafs when there is snow on the ground (or the threat), what do most of us plan on doing?

Take the snow days off, ofcourse :lol:

Don't tell me it is different in Portland.

A couple of years ago (after we got our Civic Hybrid) I went round and round on the Hybrid forums reading the very same tire/wheel discussions. The general verdict was that LLR tires do make a difference but an even bigger issue was the weight of the wheels. Hybrids running the same tires got huge mileage differences by coworkers/neighbors that picked different wheels. Perimeter wheel inertia/weight was the culprit :shock: . It was a while ago but I remember forums listing the weights of wheels and the Enkie RPF1 style wheel was VERY light for a good price. Soon after I started noticing them on alot of autocross cars. I think the size/offsets and bolt patterns were perfect for the metric compact/midsize segment. I plan on doing a wheel upgrade as well so will post whatever I come up with. Need to bring my calipers and ruler to the test drive next month.

So do we know the Bolt pattern and Offset for the LEAF wheels yet? Lance Armstrong seems to know someone who does. Any info or if someone could measure it during the San Diego drive event, it would be greatly appreciated.

MikeBoxwell said:
Change the wheels and tires and expect to take a hit on range. Nissan have spent a heck of a lot of time on tire evaluation and what they have ended up with is the result of a huge amount of research.

I know other people with EVs who have changed the tires for a different make and found a 10-15% reduction in range as a result.

"Nissan has...." because Nissan is a collective proper noun and singular. ;)

Tires I can see, but would the rimz make much difference? Presumably the alloys have higher strength/weight ratio, perhaps the reason they didn't throw cheapo steel rims on the base model.

garygid said:
How much (estimate) for a spare rim&tire, not necessarily a full-size tire?
You could probably get one for about $150 and then strap it into the hatch area.

drees said:
garygid said:
How much (estimate) for a spare rim&tire, not necessarily a full-size tire?
You could probably get one for about $150 and then strap it into the hatch area.

Why? More weigh, less space. Unless you plan on driving cross country it's pointless.

Yes, I am planning on driving "cross country" or "remote",
so I do NOT consider a spare tire in certain circumstances
to be pointless, but a precaution.

Also, when driving locally, and a tire goes, a friend might be able
to bring the waiting-at-home spare to me much faster than the
"roadside service" can arrive (and tow me to some unknown location),
and still not have the problem fixed so that I can continue driving.

Yes, I agree, we do not yet know what the "roadside service" will be/do.
So, I am "thinking ahead".

It is a very good idea to have a back up tire and wheel. My experience has been that flat tires happen at a time when no one is available to either fix the tire or a new tire is not readily available.

I saw the mini-compressor and "can of goop" the Leaf comes with today. That'll be good enough for me. The tires are tall enough that potholes are not likely to cause a pinch flat.

Back