San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another charging stop this weekend...

Caig Laboratories, 12200 Thatcher Court, Poway

Unfortunately, they had the charging station powered off on Saturday, but the reason why I'm posting the photos is because this is the first GE Wattstation I've seen with the retractable cord in the area. The one up at Stone Brewery is not this recent style. I couldn't figure out how to retract the cord back into the base, but didn't spend a lot of time there. It's right down the street from the Walter Anderson nursery, so that could be a possible charging stop during a visit to the nursery. I guess first we'd have to know whether they power on the station during the day and what their policy is for guests...Anyways, here are some photos...

Caig%201.jpg

Caig%202.jpg

Caig%203.jpg

Randy said:
I believe Gary reported that on the previous page.

If you see it broken, and you are there, I would encourage you to go inside and bring it to their attention...I'll see if I can email the 350Green contact I have and see what they know about it...

That's a shame. I would have gone inside, but was with a friend and we were headed out of the parking lot. I didn't drive and didn't charge. I will next time I am in there area. Hopefully with added complaints about the charging station the manager will do something about it.

Randy said:
I found out today that the university has plans to place a parking permit vending machine in Lot G on the other side of the lot from the DC FC. The cost of a permit for the DC FC is supposed to be 50 cents, not sure of the duration....I'll post more when I know more....

Randy
I went to the SDSU parking info booth near Peterson gym today and asked if we are allowed to charge in a FS (Faculty Staff) lot if we are not an FS. They told me that no we are not allowed unless we have a FS sticker. I told them that is very unfortunate as there are only three DCQC units in the county. I asked for documentation regarding this and they couldn't produce any. I have asked enforcement officers in the past and two of them told me that it IS OK to charge at FS lots. I am getting conflicting info regarding this.

Bottom line is it is probably not a good idea to leave your car at the DCQC unit, even if you have a permit from the vending machine. I asked what would happen if an enforcement officer sees us there without our FS permit. She told me they would probably just ask us to move. That would be annoying if you have already paid for a fixed amount of time and have to abort because of this. This is a very confusing situation and I have asked them to review their policy for the FS lots.

Randy said:
San Diego's 3rd DC Fast Charging Station opens today...
Located at the Best Western Hotel in Escondido, one block from I-15 at El Norte Parkway at 1700 7 Oakes Rd...
This DCFC unit is broken. Both sides are down. Blink support says it had a screen failure, and there are no replacement screens in stock, so it will be down for quite awhile. Make sure it is active on the Blink map before you go there to use it. My wife went there today and really needed a charge, but couldn't get one because it's broken. The L2 charger next to it is for handicapped access only--it is impossible to park legally and hook up to it as a backup, but she did it anyway because she needed to get home. A really poor layout of the parking spots and an unreliable DCFC unit makes for another epic Blink FAIL on this one.
:evil: :twisted: :cry:
TT

ttweed said:
This [Escondido] DCFC unit is broken. Both sides are down. Blink support says it had a screen failure, and there are no replacement screens in stock, so it will be down for quite awhile. Make sure it is active on the Blink map before you go there to use it. My wife went there today and really needed a charge, but couldn't get one because it's broken. The L2 charger next to it is for handicapped access only--it is impossible to park legally and hook up to it as a backup, but she did it anyway because she needed to get home. A really poor layout of the parking spots and an unreliable DCFC unit makes for another epic Blink FAIL on this one.
:evil: :twisted: :cry:
TT
I'd check status on Blink map but I sure wouldn't rely on that status. Sometimes working units show up offline on the Blink map, and more often broken units show up as operating normally. You might get accurate status by phoning the hotel, but that's not certain and if enough of us do it often enough it might annoy them enough to want the charger gone. The closest thing to good status information might be from plugshare, especially if you see a recently dated review saying it's working.

On Wednesday the left plug on the SDSU QC wasn't working. The lever didn't engage the lock adequately for the Blink to sync with the car. The right plug worked fine. I reported it to Blink, but who knows if they pay any attention to maintenance reports?

It sure will be nice when we start to get some of those NRG QC stations and/or when EVoasis opens more stations. The San Juan Capistrano EVoasis station sure is easy to use and reliable compared to Blink! Even more, I'd wish that by the time NRG enters the market that Blink has their reliability and maintenance problems licked and provides strong competition to NRG.

I read over the EV Project quarterly report, the link to which Randy kindly posted recently. And I realized that they are still not close to being able to start collecting relevant data on QC usage, which is arguably some of the most important data that can come out of the EV Project. Before the data becomes valid the QC infrastructure must reach the point, through multiple potential charging stations and/or high reliability, that you can confidently make a trip even if one QC unit is down. Until then for any trip longer than 40 miles one-way probably most people will Just-Drive-The-Gasser

The Escondido Best western Level 3 charger is still down as of 4pm Sunday 2/24th. Wish I had checked this forum first before driving by to get a charge. Good thing I can still get home on the charge that I have.

Used a Blink at Mission Bay for an hour today this afternoon to get enough range to get home - one of the 4 in the northern group. Couldn't find the other 4 a bit further south?

Great location, lots of parking so no ICEing issues - signs are there to discourage that. Kids played on a nearby playground while we enjoyed a beautiful day and ended up buying 8 dollars of ice cream from a vendor who walked by.

There are 4 units just north of the visitor information center, which sounds like where you were. The other 4 are a ways away, by the Roller Coaster in Mission Beach (to the South of the Bahia hotel across the street in the parking lot there...

Randy said:
There are 4 units just north of the visitor information center, which sounds like where you were. The other 4 are a ways away, by the Roller Coaster in Mission Beach (to the South of the Bahia hotel across the street in the parking lot there...
Thanks - Unfortunately plugshare has duplicate entries there which is what threw me off. I'll submit a request to have the entries merged. It also looks like the Bonita Cove stations you mention also have duplicate entries, though I'm unsure as to what PIN location is more accurate.

Blink DCQC down again today!!! :cry: If I can't depend on it, I am not going to pay! I didn't charge, because it had worked yesterday. That won't happen again. If I don't require a fast charge to get to my destination, I won't pay for one. DO YOU HEAR ME BLINK? :roll:

pchilds said:
Blink DCQC down again today!!! :cry: If I can't depend on it, I am not going to pay! I didn't charge, because it had worked yesterday. That won't happen again. If I don't require a fast charge to get to my destination, I won't pay for one. DO YOU HEAR ME BLINK? :roll:

Which one not working? Did you call it in to the support line?

We just arrived at the San Diego Botanical Garden and was looking forward to charging as we barely made it home last time and I see all three units with the message "Charger Unavailable". Going in further, I see they're only available 9:00PM-5:00AM. What good does that do anyone?!

When I went there to take the photos not too long ago, they were in a spare parking lot that had a chain across the driveway. Once they unlocked it and let me in, the charging stations worked fine. They are further north up the road from the main entrance to the Garden...

pchilds said:
Randy said:
Which one not working? Did you call it in to the support line?

Escondido, Left side hung, wouldn't read card, Right side no display, called it in.

Do you remember if the breaker panel was locked? Cycling the power via the breaker probably would have fixed that issue...Gotta do what you gotta do...

Back