San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
When I went there to take the photos not too long ago, they were in a spare parking lot that had a chain across the driveway. Once they unlocked it and let me in, the charging stations worked fine. They are further north up the road from the main entrance to the Garden...
Really poor location for an installation because the lot is normally not in use. I bet those stations rarely get used. Who'd you ask to unlock the gate? That lot is completely on the other side of the garden compared to the main entrance / lot.

True, not the greatest location. I'm not too sure who made that call to put them there. I went into the main entrance expecting the units to be by the front gate. So I asked at the ticket booth and they directed me to the location and summoned someone to unlock the gate via walkie-talkie...

visited Sea World yesterday and took a look at their ChargePoint towers next to the premium parking kiosk. They didn't appear to be free to me like the list says but I didn't try to charge.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
visited Sea World yesterday and took a look at their ChargePoint towers next to the premium parking kiosk. They didn't appear to be free to me like the list says but I didn't try to charge.
You would have needed to a Chargepoint card to use it, even it was free. Did the display state a price?

Randy said:
When I went there to take the photos not too long ago, they were in a spare parking lot that had a chain across the driveway. Once they unlocked it and let me in, the charging stations worked fine. They are further north up the road from the main entrance to the Garden...

I was in the right place. I called Blink and we determine that the person who created the service schedule implemented it exactly backwards. The garden is open 9-5 daily and they wanted the stations to be available during those hours only. When they loaded the schedule, they put in the reverse so they only available 5:00PM - 9:00AM.

<faceplam!>

davewill said:
You would have needed to a Chargepoint card to use it, even it was free. Did the display state a price?

it didn't. It just said Tap Card to start or something and had pictures of the major credit cards w/ the "tap to pay" icon.
I looked up ChargePoint afterwards and saw that the ChargePoint card costs $5 to be able to use chargers on their network, is that correct?

PlutoISaPlanet said:
davewill said:

it didn't. It just said Tap Card to start or something and had pictures of the major credit cards w/ the "tap to pay" icon.
I looked up ChargePoint afterwards and saw that the ChargePoint card costs $5 to be able to use chargers on their network, is that correct?

You purchase a card from ChargePoint (sometimes they have free promotions) and then you tie your credit card to the RFID card on their website. Then they charge your credit card $25 and give you that credit on your account and you use against it (like a Fast Track pass). When the balance gets down, they re-bill another $25...

I'm still working on my first $25....

PlutoISaPlanet said:
davewill said:

If you go to http://www.chargepoint.com/leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can sign up for free. If you want to use chargepoint stations that charge a fee, you have to put in a deposit like the other posters said.

adspguy said:
If you go to http://www.chargepoint.com/leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can sign up for free. If you want to use chargepoint stations that charge a fee, you have to put in a deposit like the other posters said.

perfect. Thanks.

I found a ChargePoint installation at a business near mine that doesn't appear on ChargePoint's site or Plugshare - is that because it's a private charger for that business? It's a new building and I only noticed it because a leaf was parked in front of it not charging. I walked over to check it out and didn't see anything labeling it as private or anything.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
I found a ChargePoint installation at a business near mine that doesn't appear on ChargePoint's site or Plugshare - is that because it's a private charger for that business? It's a new building and I only noticed it because a leaf was parked in front of it not charging. I walked over to check it out and didn't see anything labeling it as private or anything.

Wouldn't it be easier to tell us where it is?

TonyWilliams said:
Wouldn't it be easier to tell us where it is?

missed this. It's at Swinerton Builders' offices in Rancho Bernardo. Right out front.
Since noticing it I haven't seen the black Leaf not parking there during business hours. Chargepoint's taking their sweet time getting me my card, too.

Anyone use the QC out at Don's Market in Santa Ysabel recently? Planning on heading up there this weekend but one of the comments on plugshare in the last month about it being out of service isn't reassuring. At least there are L2 stations for backup, but that will mean waiting a couple hours instead of 15 minutes...

I'm sitting here in Borrego Springs posting this while my LEAF is charging on one of the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce's FIVE new Blink L-2 EVSE's! :)

We made it from the SDSU DCFC (with a full charge on a 16 month old LEAF) to the DCFC in Santa Ysabel with a few mile detour for breakfast at Izzy's in El Cajon (recommended). We arrived with 17% remaining (via Wildcat Canyon Rd. with 3 miles showing on the GOM). Charged to 90% in 30 minutes and left for Borrego Springs down Montezuma Grade with nine bars showing. We got to the desert rim at Ranchita with four bars showing and 20 miles on the GOM and hit Christmas Circle with 70 miles on the GOM and SIX bars showing--yes, we actually GAINED two bars on the trip down the grade. Montezuma Grade is called "The Glass Elevator" by the motorcycling crowd for just this reason. ;-)

If you can't get all the way to Santa Ysabel from where you live, remember there are a few L-2's in Ramona near the Big 5 Sporting Goods and there are a few shops/restaurants within walking distance. We had a wonderful chat with Linda Haddock, the Executive Director of the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce who is the mastermind behind making Borrego Springs a haven for solar and EV's! She's working on getting her own fleet of car2go's so you can drive your EV to the Chamber and grab a car2go to toodle around the valley. There are 131 new statues scattered around the valley including a 350 foot long dragon (free guides available at the Chamber). She's also getting bids for solar canopies to cover her parking lot to off-set some of her power requirements and give you a shady spot to park as well. There is also FREE WIFI which you can hit from the parking lot so you can sit in your car if the Chamber is closed, but the Chamber has new, clean bathrooms, air conditioning and comfy seating to check your email and post on your favorite Discussion Board to make all your friends jealous that they're not having an adventure like you are! ;-)

LindaHaddockBorrego-L.jpg

Leslie and Linda

The Visitors Center is a two-mile walk from the Chamber if you're brave or it's on your way back up the hill if you go back that way and it's definitely worth a visit especially if you've never been. We're going to go home back up S-2 via Scissors Crossing to cut off the elevation at Ranchita. It will add about 13-15 miles, but is the lower route to get back to the intersection of S-22 and S-2. We'll let you know how it goes. ;-)

Made it back to Santa Ysabel with 13% charge showing. :)
We had a gnarly ~30mph headwind almost the whole way. Going over Scissors Crossing still took us over 3600 feet and added distance, so I'm not sure it saved all that much. Had to use ECO mode to grab as much regen as we could. Without the wind or a full charge it should be easily doable. We left BS with ten bars showing (and 109 miles on the GOM! :) ) and went on bosons (electric fumes) a few miles from SY, but we had the same 13% showing when we pulled in. Enjoying lattes and treats at the Julian Pie Company. Home will be practically free!

I'm picking my folks up at the airport and noticed in the parking lot for terminal 2 over 30 Chargepoint EVSEs installed (I lost count). They look to be prime spots along each row nearest the terminal. They're not powered up yet.

eHelmholtz said:
I'm picking my folks up at the airport and noticed in the parking lot for terminal 2 over 30 Chargepoint EVSEs installed (I lost count). They look to be prime spots along each row nearest the terminal. They're not powered up yet.

There's actually a total of 46... six are Clipper Creek in a separate area, if my memory is correct.

Back