San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, 5 Blink charges at CSU San Marcos are live and working. My wife found them today on a trip to the campus. Not sure where exactly they're located but my guess is probably on the 1st floor of the main parking garage.

We're planning on going out to a place DOWNTOWN La Jolla tonight after work and a quick look on plug share returned no public L2 stations there; not one!!! WTF :? I live in North County, work closer to Temecula and out of all the places in SD, I'd expect La Jolla to have the most public charging stations. I was wrong and almost shocked that I can't plug my Leaf anywhere in downtown La Jolla within reasonable walking distance (for picky readers I define reasonable as 15 min at a brisk pace for a healthy individual in comfortable shoes) to enjoy either the beach access or any night life there. So I will be stopping by my house on the way from work to get into my ICE car for a night out... I mean I'm not going to Tijuana for god sake, it's freaking downtown La Jolla we're talking about.

If you know La Jolla, then you know it is the parking premium that kills it. No one in La Jolla is going to sacrifice an invaluable parking spot for the occasional EV that MIGHT want to use it on occasion. Even if they put a dozen EVSE's in, they'd all likely be ICE'd when you get there. :-/

BestPal said:
We're planning on going out to a place DOWNTOWN La Jolla tonight after work and a quick look on plug share returned no public L2 stations there; not one!!!
Yes, it's a bummer--parking is tough and charging stations are non-existent in La Jolla. The closest charging stations are at UCSD, which is nowhere near downtown.

TT

KMG365 said:
If you know La Jolla, then you know it is the parking premium that kills it. No one in La Jolla is going to sacrifice an invaluable parking spot for the occasional EV that MIGHT want to use it on occasion. Even if they put a dozen EVSE's in, they'd all likely be ICE'd when you get there. :-/

Not if signage is posted and those ICE's get towed once or twice. They'll learn. I'm not talking about street parking - I agree it's very tough in La Jolla, but at least a few L2 at some paid parking structures. Come on, they always have some spots open even in La Jolla, even on a warm Sunday early afternoon summer day next to the cove, those paid lots don't get completely full.

BestPal said:
KMG365 said:

Not if signage is posted and those ICE's get towed once or twice. They'll learn. I'm not talking about street parking - I agree it's very tough in La Jolla, but at least a few L2 at some paid parking structures. Come on, they always have some spots open even in La Jolla, even on a warm Sunday early afternoon summer day next to the cove, those paid lots don't get completely full.

There is currently no city ordinace that could be posted on the signs that would legally allow towing (the City Council would have to approve it in San Diego)...Another challenge that the Electric Vehicle Service Providers are working on trying to overcome...And in some cases the property owners don't want it. They'd rather have a gas car park there and bring business in if the space would go unused by an EV...Lots of issues at play here...

RonDawg said:
California Vehicle Code section 22511 allows for enforcement action against vehicles parked in properly-posted EV charging spaces that are not plugged into the charger.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BestPal said:
RonDawg said:
California Vehicle Code section 22511 allows for enforcement action against vehicles parked in properly-posted EV charging spaces that are not plugged into the charger.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, and that INCLUDES EV's that are using it as an entitlement spot! If they're not plugged in, they need to move the car!

BestPal said:
We're planning on going out to a place DOWNTOWN La Jolla tonight after work and a quick look on plug share returned no public L2 stations there; not one!!! WTF :? I live in North County, work closer to Temecula and out of all the places in SD, I'd expect La Jolla to have the most public charging stations. I was wrong and almost shocked that I can't plug my Leaf anywhere in downtown La Jolla within reasonable walking distance (for picky readers I define reasonable as 15 min at a brisk pace for a healthy individual in comfortable shoes) to enjoy either the beach access or any night life there. So I will be stopping by my house on the way from work to get into my ICE car for a night out... I mean I'm not going to Tijuana for god sake, it's freaking downtown La Jolla we're talking about.

Yeah, I live in Pt Loma...have a white 2013 Leaf S with quick charge option. After reading this checked PlugShare for La Jolla. That sux. You'd think someone would have one. Del Mar is MUCH smaller and has several options to charge in the downtown area.

I was just at the newly reopened short term parking lot for SAN terminal 2 and it has what may be the largest collection of charging stations in the county, maybe in the state. It looks like they have four charging spaces at the near end of every row of parking. All Chargepoint. They don't seem to be open for business yet, as all of them were barricaded off. I don't know when they'll be operational. The parking signs say to park there you must have a new carpool lane sticker (picture of one included) so there's no question of whether or not you're "actively charging" for the entire duration of your trip.

To me this looks very attractive for picking up people from the airport. I'm not so sure about parking for trips though, at $28 per day.

A big thank you is in order to the Port Authority and whoever else was involved in installing these.

Hi all,

This past weekend we discovered 9 more Blink L2 chargers have been installed at Liberty Station in Point Loma. They're not turned on yet, but I suspect they will be on soon. The chargers are in the parking lot directly behind the new Stone Brewery Restaurant over by the north end of Liberty Station. No signage restricting the spaces to electric cars has been posted yet.

Actually, ten total Blink L2's if you include the one ADA unit. This will be a popular spot once it is energized, and is actually one of the largest collection of public :D EVSE West of I-5. Right in front of the Vons store. Interestingly, Nissan held a big Leaf test-drive event in October 2010. Seems fitting......

Mossy Nissan Poway popped up in PlugShare with a new DCQC. I personally haven't stop by there yet so I'm not sure if it is active. Glad to see more DCQC chargers especially from the dealerships.

vsiev said:
Mossy Nissan Poway popped up in PlugShare with a new DCQC. I personally haven't stop by there yet so I'm not sure if it is active. Glad to see more DCQC chargers especially from the dealerships.

The charger is mounted on the furthest west part of the Poway Nissan dealer's lot, closest to Poway Road. Not yet operational. Apparently, Pete Mossy changed his mind about accepting these free chargers from Nissan.

They will install at least 4; Poway, Kearny Mesa, National City, and Oceanside.

So we're planning to drive up to Temecula/Lake Elsinore this weekend from Oceanside and I can't seem to find any information on available charging options - does anyone have any information on where chargers are located? Thank you in advance for the help!

BrutusMom said:
So we're planning to drive up to Temecula/Lake Elsinore this weekend from Oceanside and I can't seem to find any information on available charging options - does anyone have any information on where chargers are located? Thank you in advance for the help!
Plugshare has good info on Temecula. Basically you have Quality Nissan, four EVSEs at two locations in Old Town Temecula, plus a DCQC in Escondido as options. Pechanga and Pala also have EVSEs but they aren't directly on your way.

BrutusMom said:
PlugShare

Doesn't look like there's anything close to Lake Elsinore, which names it difficult on the return trip. You definitely want to take 76 out there, it's less than 50 mi there and < 1500 ft of climbing so just keep it at 65 mph or less to save range (tough on I15).

Looks like the most reliable place to stop and charge in Temecula is Pechanga. You'd want to charge back up to 80%+ there (~3 hours) and then stop there on the way back for another 3 hours or so on the way back home. If you can charge at Lake Elsinore, you can make it back home no problem.

I can't say I'd recommend the QC in Escondido on the way there - it adds 10-15 miles to your trip and is only 20 miles from Oceanside, so not very helpful. Plus speeds are a bit higher on 78 compared to 76.

drees said:
Doesn't look like there's anything close to Lake Elsinore, which names it difficult on the return trip.
If I were going I'd call the RV parks around the lake until I found one willing to rent me a plug. Even 120V can add significant range if you're out on the lake all day. Better yet if you have Phil's EVSE upgrade and can charge on 240V.

City of Chula Vista - Civic Center North (276 4th Ave, west side of property)

There are 7 operational Blink charging stations at this location, which is located at the Chula Vista Civic Center Building...

CV%20Map1.jpg

CV-Civic1.jpg

CV-Civic2.jpg

CV-Civic3.jpg

Back