San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet more chargers in Carmel Valley.. 3 new Blinks at Catholic Cathedral High School. 5555 Del Mar Heights Rd. After you enter the main entrance, they are in the parking lot on the left.

saintyohann said:
Came back after the fair, there are two units; one regular and one handicap across the lot. There is no EV signage yet and while the regular charger was ICE'd it has a very long cord and I charged two spaces over (it could have gone 3 spaces). Added to plugshare.
Drove up there yesterday (after a morning of driving around doing errands) and there was already a cream colored LEAF like ours parked in the spot! Still no signage and the next two spots were ICE'd as well. I had only 8 miles of range left, so we had to drive over to the hospital and park for a bit while we walked back for lunch at the Ale House (HIGHLY recommended!) I wonder if they will eventually have EVSE's installed at all of the transit station parking lots? Makes sense to me. ;-)

I'd love to get some sort of green stripe painting device to at least highlight the fact that these are EV charging spots. ;-) You can't gig someone for ICE'ing it if it's not marked or signed in any way. People are oblivious to the EVSE sitting there and otherwise think it's just a regular spot. I'd almost wish they'd put the EVSE's in the middle or even at the far side of the lot. I don't mind the walk and it might keep them from becoming unintentionally ICE'd all the time.

I stopped by the Walgreen at Rosecran/Midway to check out their EVSE on Sat, June 30. I had previously stopped and charged at a Walgreen in Poway a month or so back. (I get many of my prescriptions and do occasional shopping at my local Walgreen in National City, which does not happen to have an EVSE.)

It is funny as the staff barely knew/know if it is working or how it works. It seems the EVSE is just installed and not much information shared with the staff. At Poway I had to let the clerk know it was actually working, they did not know. Guess they have plenty of other things to take care of to run the business.

At the Rosecran/Midway location it did not seem to be working. I went in to tell them and they said that I should contact the people I bought the car from to get a card to make it work. I explained to them that the charging stations are operated by different companies, but I went back out to check again. I then looked more closely and realized that the power was not even on - there where no LEDs or display on (the sun was so bright I had not noticed earlier).

Went back in the store and asked them to call the Manager a second time, explaining the power was off and there must be a breaker they could switch on. it took a few minutes, but finally they switched the power on.

I normally look for a thing or two to buy when I stop by and plug into an EVSE in front of a store, and did so yesterday even though I was not really plugged in too long.

Somehow Walgreen Management need to share more information to their staff that this is helping America become "Independent" from foreign oil, especially this is appropriate around the Fourth of July, our "Independence Day"!

(p.s. Randy, if this should be posted under a different Walgreen topic, let me know. I just wanted to share what happened at the Rosecran location)

Walmart National City, 1200 Highland Ave, National City

I cruised down to Walmart in National City to see the latest Blink units. There are two units, an ADA unit and a regular unit, and they are in different rows. The non-ADA unit is at the west end of Row 3 in the parking lot. They just finished installing these units, so the signage is still to come. Because of that, the non-ADA unit was ICE'd...Shoot, I thought, a good time to whip out my bag of tricks with all the adapters and find a way to plug in...I used my J1772 extender adapter (from Modular EV Power) to convert the Blink J1772 to a NEMA 14-50 and then proceeded to use a twist-lock extension cord over to my upgraded cordset to plug in for awhile....Worked like a charm. The store manager came out while I was charging and said she was anxious to see someone use the charging station. So I explained all about the LEAF, not only to her, but to others that were curious. I guess the long extension cord got some attention....On to our next stops....

Walmart%20NCity%201.jpg

Walmart%20NCity%202.jpg

Walmart%20NCity%203.jpg

SDSU PS4, 5500 Campanile, San Diego

I went to two SDSU parking structures to check out the Blink stations there. Parking Structure 4 is North of the Viejas Arena. The two Blinks are in the North East corner on the first level. Parking permits are needed, but can be purchased from a vending machine on-site for about $1/hour. If you go for an Aztecs game, the parking fee should get you into the structure and you can charge as you would at any other Blink station. EVs need to be plugged in at these sites to prevent a citation, so bring your padlock...If you use the driveway entrance on the east side of the structure, turn right and the Blinks will be right there....

SDSU%20PS4%201.jpg

SDSU%20PS4%202.jpg

SDSU%20PS4%203.jpg

SDSU PS5, 5500 Campanile, San Diego

Nearby from PS4 is PS5, southwest of the Viejas arena. Located at the intersection of Montezuma and 55th, the Blink stations are on the lower level of the structure in the north west corner. There are 4 non-ADA units and 1 ADA charging station. As mentioned above, you need to be connected to the charging stations to park in those spaces, and parking permits are available from the vending machines. I've gone to concerts at the Viejas Arena and it was free to park in this structure...

SDSU%20PS5%201.jpg

SDSU%20PS5%202.jpg

SDSU%20PS5%203.jpg

Cathedral Catholic High School, 5555 Del Mar Heights Road, San Diego

Next stop this morning was to check out the new charging stations at Cathedral Catholic in Carmel Valley. When you pull into their driveway on Del Mar Heights Road, make the first left and the 3 Blink units will be down just a bit on the right in a small dedicated parking area. There are 2 non-ADA units and 1 ADA unit, and the parking spots are isolated from the rest of the general parking area. The stations are on-line and working...The lot was open on Sunday, but there are gates that can be closed. Not sure yet if these units will be operational after school hours for charging.

Cathedral%20HS%201.jpg

Cathedral%20HS%202.jpg

Cathedral%20HS%203.jpg

Cathedral%20HS%204.jpg

Randy said:
Cathedral Catholic High School, 5555 Del Mar Heights Road, San Diego
Note that if you have the Blink App, they've got the "push pin" placed west of I-5, which is the wrong place. The high school is several miles to the East on the same road. I got my coworker all excited since he's still charging his Active-E from 120V, and this push pin dropped right near his house. Still, he agrees it's nice to have some L2 charging "within driving distance".

Randy said:
Blink Support fixed the location of these, as of 7/3.....
Wow. We're living in the computer age!

Also, with the installation of new charge stations at Scripps Encinitas, we've lost one of our historic "ringers". For several years, we've been able to look at any alleged "charger map" and if we saw anything at this site, we knew it was seriously out of date. But I'm happy to finally see some infrastructure in my neighborhood. I guess we still have "Sequoia Solar" as a ringer, but that's so far gone, I don't often see it anymore.

Here is the Encinitas Vulcan and E-St location, reported by saintyohann (and "caught charging" by LMW that same day). LMW is modeling the Blink RFID card.E_ST_B2.jpg
We found that the cable would stretch three spaces to the left. So it can cover four spaces including the one Evita is parked in.

I was going to comment in the message about Del Mar Heights, "Now that they've fixed the map, what else is there to tease them about?" Well, that's just too big of a straight line. Here's the way we found the above station, two days after it was installed:BlinkBars.jpg
As one of Blinks early-adopter minions, I knew the game wasn't over. Just because all the fancy stuff has crashed doesn't mean the little PIC-based EVSE brain buried inside isn't working. Waved the card at it, (I doubt this mattered, but that's how I did it), and plugged it in, and it began charging.

Come to think of it, it sent a message after I unplugged, so perhaps only the display was messed up. So probably no "free charging while crashed".

On the other side of the lot is the ADA area. That one can stretch two spaces over, so if you're not carrying a placard, that's two more spaces that can get a charge. And that Blink was showing "Processing..." and appeared to be stuck, too. But I didn't plug in to that one.

SKLZ, 2081 Faraday Ave., Carlsbad

This location is a little over 2 miles on the East side of Interstate 5 in Carlsbad and sports two Blink units. It is easy to access and the parking is set up so that both of the units can be connected to adjacent non-ADA parking spots. It is across the street from the Marriott Residence Inn hotel...

SKLZ%201.jpg

SKLZ%202.jpg

SKLZ%203.jpg

Fashion Island Shopping Center, 1101 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach

These two ChargePoint units are located on the Southern side of the Fashion Island Mall in Newport Beach, accessible from PCH. They are nicely marked and the parking stalls have plenty of room. As of July 2012, there is no charge to use these units with your ChargePoint card...Look for the California Pizza kitchen sign to locate the charging stations. And, of course, as long as you're here, you might as well visit the Tesla store...

Fashion%20Island%201.jpg

Fashion%20Island%202.jpg

Fashion%20Island%203.jpg

Oceanside Transit Center, 235 South Tremont, Oceanside

This location is about a mile off Interstate 5 in Oceanside and is located in the parking lot at the Transit Center. There is a large solar canopy and 6 Blink units. What's interesting is that they have marked the spots for EV parking, but it is every other spot on each side. So there will be gas cars parked in and alongside the charging stations. I fielded lots of questions about the LEAF from people coming and going from the Transit Center...There is a Burger King in the Transit Center and restrooms, although they do close late at night. It's nice to grab a charge while sitting in the shade of the solar canopy...

Oside%20Transit%201.jpg

Oside%20Transit%202.jpg

Oside%20Transit%203.jpg

VA Medical Center, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego

Well, this location was a bust, so I took it off the public charging list. There is one ChargePoint station and it is a little further up the hill from the VA hospital on the right by the Fleet trailer. However, it is marked "Government Vehicles Only" and the US Gov't Volt is parked there (although not plugged in). I really needed the charge, but I just went on to the next site. The unit is not on the ChargePoint public map...

Veterans%20Hospital%201.jpg

Veterans%20Hospital%202.jpg

Sneak Peak - La Mesa Springs Shopping Center

These Blink charging stations are in the process of being installed, so here is a sneak peak...And for all car owners that think public charging should be free or garage priced, here is a glimpse into what it takes to prepare this particular site, and a good reason why we as car owners should be supportive of the public infrastructure.

The rule about ADA/accessible parking says that it must not be steeper than a 2% grade. While this is a good spot to install the charging units from an electrical perspective, the parking needs to be brought up to code. So here are a couple of photos showing how that is done...In this case, 3 trucks of asphalt and 10 inches of build-up at the back of the accessible space to get that grade in line with the rules (the asphalt needs to be as high as the yellow string in the photo and then tapered off to the non-accessible spots)...

There will ultimately be 4 charging units here and there is lots to do in the center while your car is charging. The work should be done in a few days, and it's looking like a very top-notch installation. I'll post more photos shortly...

LaMesa%20Springs%201.jpg

LaMesa%20Springs%202.jpg

Randy said:
Oceanside Transit Center, 235 South Tremont, Oceanside
...What's interesting is that they have marked the spots for EV parking, but it is every other spot on each side. So there will be gas cars parked in and alongside the charging stations.
That looks like the ideal arrangement of parking spaces to work around EV spaces being ICEd, and also the ideal arrangement for plug sharing to perhaps as many as 3 spaces on one side plus 3 more spaces on the other side. I hope they didn't put up AB475 compliant signs to prohibit plug sharing! Did you notice?

Back