San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFguy said:
Frank, it is my understanding that the EV Project participants in San Diego will have three "EV Project" rate structures. It is not yet known who gets which, or how determined. SDG&E will require the second meter, and has stated that the meter in the Blink EVSE provided will not suffice. So it sounds safe to assume that all San Diego participants in the EV Project will require the second meter. I have a September order date and have heard nothing from Etec. I sent in an email via their "contact us" form a few days ago and have heard nothing back. I think I'll give them a call.

Can you tell me what your source is for the second meter requirement by SDG&E, instead of using Blink as the meter? The reason I ask is that Blink is supposed to be "revenue" capable and I read somewhere that SDG&E was working with Ecotality to qualify Blink to be used for billing purposes, so a separate meter would not be required. Thanks.

I'll have to go digging around again, but initially I was under the same impression as you - the Blink would be suitable. It could be that my recollection is wrong. Let's hope so! I will try to retrace my steps to find out.

I believe the problem with the Blink meter is that there is currently no utility infrastructure in place to upload those Blink Time of use metering numbers to the SDG&E metering system. An additional issue is that if the Blink is on the same service as your existing meter, then the Blink numbers will have to be subtracted from your existing usage to come up with two billing amounts. That's no easy task, according to SDG&E.

But Blink is Time of Use and most regular meters are probably on the Domestic Rate (non Time of Use). That gets a little sticky to reconcile. It's doable. I know the SDG&E team is working on a solution to try and get something workable in place. Worst case scenario is that two meters will be needed. I'm hopeful that something can be worked out as it will be messy to jackify my service with another meter...

Randy said:
I believe the problem with the Blink meter is that there is currently no utility infrastructure in place to upload those Blink Time of use metering numbers to the SDG&E metering system. An additional issue is that if the Blink is on the same service as your existing meter, then the Blink numbers will have to be subtracted from your existing usage to come up with two billing amounts. That's no easy task, according to SDG&E.

But Blink is Time of Use and most regular meters are probably on the Domestic Rate (non Time of Use). That gets a little sticky to reconcile. It's doable. I know the SDG&E team is working on a solution to try and get something workable in place. Worst case scenario is that two meters will be needed. I'm hopeful that something can be worked out as it will be messy to jackify my service with another meter...

I presently have a TOU meter and was hoping not to have to add a second SDG&E meter. I think I read that there will not be an additional cost for the second meter but if anyone knows otherwise please post. I'm pretty sure that a second meter, either Blink or by SDG&E, will be required as a participant in the EV Project because they want to study the EV electricity usage separately (i.e. not comingled with other usage). Hopefully Blink will be able to provide us with real-time kWh usage for the billing period, and possibly convert it to $$ depending on which TOU Rate schedule you are on. The present SDG&E TOU meters display kWh data by TOU time period (i.e. peak, semi-peak, offpeak) but it isn't easy to read, and it can't be read on the meter if you generate kWhs by solar or other methods because it doesn't display credit kWs generated. It would be really cool if you can access real-time kWhs used and cummulative $$ for the billing period via the Blink's Intenet connection.

Here's another question about two SDG&E meters with Net Metering. Can the two meters be offset against each other? For example, if the PV system is producing kWh credits can those credits offset the kWhs used on the EV meter?

Frank said:
uspearls said:
Late to the party, sorry..... I'm another Penasquitos resident, September order date, had the EV Project home assessment last week (also Ray). Haven't decided on color but I guess it can't be blue or else we'll all be looking all over for our cars in the parking lots :D

Welcome! Did you schedule the appointment for the assessment or did they contact you to schedule it? I can't figure out the sequence of these appointments in San Diego. In some cases (like myself), people were accepted into the EV Project a long time ago but have not yet been contacted for an assessment even though they have a Sept order date. I contacted Ecotality by email asking them why they haven't contacted me to schedule the assessment, and the response was that they only had a list of people with August order dates, not September. But you have a Sept order date and have already had your assessment completed.

Thanks Frank... they called me to schedule it...hmm, interesting. As I posted on "another" Leaf forum, I'll just speculate that you are unconditionally in, while I (and others like me) needed an assessment becaue they suspected I would need work done at additional cost. I did get the email from Ecotality telling me that they would give me a $1,200 credit plus free charger if my installation costs exceeded their parameters (another way of saying I'm responsible for everything over $2,200 - fine by me!). Did you get that email?

uspearls said:
Thanks Frank... they called me to schedule it...hmm, interesting. As I posted on "another" Leaf forum, I'll just speculate that you are unconditionally in, while I (and others like me) needed an assessment becaue they suspected I would need work done at additional cost. I did get the email from Ecotality telling me that they would give me a $1,200 credit plus free charger if my installation costs exceeded their parameters (another way of saying I'm responsible for everything over $2,200 - fine by me!). Did you get that email?

I didn't get that email. The only email I received said that I am approved for the EV Project and that ECOtality would be contacting me shortly. I guess I will have to be patient. :cry:

Frank said:
uspearls said:

I didn't get that email. The only email I received said that I am approved for the EV Project and that ECOtality would be contacting me shortly. I guess I will have to be patient. :cry:

Frank, I am waiting too. Starting to loose patience.

EVProject came out for my assessment on Aug. 19.

I have 2 meters already. One for SDG&E and one for solar monitoring. SDG&E reads both meters each month.

I received an email on Aug 26 from EcoTality saying that I was approved to participate in the EVProject.

Part of that participation requires me to sign an agreement that I will provide WiFi access to the Blink EVSE for 2 years. (That's how EVProject will get their data)

I have no idea if SDG&E will want/require additional meters. If EVProject can get data via WiFi, perhaps SDG&E can access the same data (usage) and bill accordingly.

I am on the August ordering list for the Leaf.

More info when I have it.

I posted the following in the "Official" EV Project thread, but will also post it here for reference:

I got the email from Nissan on July 22 saying that I was approved for the EV Project. Nothing from anyone since. A few days ago I contacted ECOtality via the "contact" page of their web site. Still nothing. So this morning I sent an email to the local contact (San Diego for me) as listed in their contact page. I got a phone call within hours letting me know that ECOtality is working with Nissan, knows who will be receiving the free EVSE, and will make arrangements to install it within two weeks of the vehicle delivery date. That satisfied me. On the contact page linked above, you will find email and telephone regional contact information for each of the initial EV Project launch markets.

I haven't had time to look for the answer to my reference above about the requirement for a second meter, but I think Randy may have provided the answer already.

Jimmydreams said:
EVProject came out for my assessment on Aug. 19.

I have 2 meters already. One for SDG&E and one for solar monitoring. SDG&E reads both meters each month.

I received an email on Aug 26 from EcoTality saying that I was approved to participate in the EVProject.

Part of that participation requires me to sign an agreement that I will provide WiFi access to the Blink EVSE for 2 years. (That's how EVProject will get their data)

I have no idea if SDG&E will want/require additional meters. If EVProject can get data via WiFi, perhaps SDG&E can access the same data (usage) and bill accordingly.

I am on the August ordering list for the Leaf.

More info when I have it.

I was hoping that SDG&E could obtain the kWhs used from Blink via the home's WiFi. But I have a feeling that SDG&E won't rely on a customer's WiFi network to obtain the kWhs for billing purposes. What happens if the WiFi goes down for a while? And, SDG&E couldn't physically read the Blink kWhs used unless Blink was installed outside where it could be accessed by SDG&E. So my bet at this point is that a dedicated SDG&E meter will be required. JimmyDreams, you are on net metering because you have two meters right? SDG&E must net the two meters together when computing your bill. I would like to know if SDG&E will allow the EV meter to net against the photovoltaic meter?

Frank said:
I was hoping that SDG&E could obtain the kWhs used from Blink via the home's WiFi. But I have a feeling that SDG&E won't rely on a customer's WiFi network to obtain the kWhs for billing purposes. What happens if the WiFi goes down for a while? And, SDG&E couldn't physically read the Blink kWhs used unless Blink was installed outside where it could be accessed by SDG&E. So my bet at this point is that a dedicated SDG&E meter will be required. JimmyDreams, you are on net metering because you have two meters right? SDG&E must net the two meters together when computing your bill. I would like to know if SDG&E will allow the EV meter to net against the photovoltaic meter?

Frank...

My second meter is for my California Solar Initiative rebate, a monthly check that is based on my actual production. My main SDG&E meter simply reads positive or negative usage (AFAIK anyway). That is basically net metering, but it may or may not be some kind of Time Of Use metering.

I should know more later this week when I talk to both Ecotality and SDG&E about the process.

Hey everyone! I'm in Rancho Santa Fe and am very excited about the Leaf!

My timetable of significant Leaf events:

April 20 - Leaf reserved
July 22 - "ECOtality has some additional questions"
July 27 - "We just wanted to let you know you'll be able to order your new Nissan LEAF in September 2010."

Still waiting to hear back from ECOtality about their additional questions...

Assuming the ordering tomorrow goes of without a hitch, here's what I'm ordering:

Blue SL-E
Floor/Cargo Mats
Eco Design B93
Protection Pkg B94

I'm comfortable with that set up. Please no one in San Diego order the exact same thing.....because if you do, you know DARN well that we'll wind up RIGHT next to each other in a mall one day and it'll get confusing!!!! :lol:

Gee, sorry Jimmy, didn't know you had dibs! :eek: That is exactly what I'm ordering, except for the bumper protection. I can't figure out what the worth of that is.

Unless, of course, I let my wife drive it. :lol:

Stanley, I originally selected Mossy Escondido as my preferred dealer but will switch to Mossy Kearny Mesa if Escondido doesn't offer a similar discount. How about you?

Dav said:
Gee, sorry Jimmy, didn't know you had dibs! :eek: That is exactly what I'm ordering, except for the bumper protection. I can't figure out what the worth of that is.

Unless, of course, I let my wife drive it. :lol:

Dav...

I'm thinking the protection package is a clear plastic decal (of sorts) that goes on the front to protect from rocks, etc. I didn't get it on my BMW and I regret that decision. The rear bumper protector seems to be a black plastic piece that goes on the top part of the bumper by the rear hatch....kinda where you would place your knee or rest a box before putting it in the trunk. The black plastic piece protects the top of the bumper from scratches etc. from items going in and out of the trunk.

At least, that's what I'm expecting. What I GET might be something different. ;)

And yes, I called DIBS months ago. :lol:

Jimmy, when I had my Toyota serviced a couple weeks ago I wandered the showroom while waiting. Two cars there had "bumper protection" as options.

I assume it is a clear "decal" that covers the whole bumper (front and back) because I could not see anything. We'll find out in December! :D

Back