San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frustratingly, VW is blocking the CHAdeMO at their ERL with their own vehicles!:
evw-chademo.jpg

(ignoring the signs saying that the vehicles must be charging to park there.)

I guess they don't want LEAFs there anymore?

Big news!

At the South San Jose Nissan/Bayleafs MY'13 Leaf show off this afternoon, Tim Gallagher from Nissan made an announcement that soon, Nissan will be installing DCQC station at "a majority of Nissan dealers in the area". He also stated that he expects that most of them will be available 24/7 and without charge.

I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact time frame he stated, but I believe we are talking Q1 of this year!

I'm assuming that this will be true of Southern California, too. I hope that there will be stations to allow driving from the Bay Area to LA.

That's a pretty big announcement. If most Nissan dealerships in the Bay Area had L3 it would make it feasible to go many, many places. However, a trip to LA would still be time consuming and highly taxing on the battery (but nevertheless possible).

And Nissan dealerships are much more convenient than most of the current Blink units.

I probably won't get my hopes up until I start seeing them though. A promise at a private event is no press release with actual dates.

Brings up a lot of questions: How will they guarantee dealer participation (lots of dealers block L2 diring the day unless you ask nicely and that's less electricity cost)? What will they do if Mitsubishi's start showing up?

As someone once said, just do it already. Instead of constantly
making announcements of what you will do and failing miserably
in your promises. I love my LEAF but tire of Nissan's slowness and
excuses.

DoxyLover said:
Big news!

At the South San Jose Nissan/Bayleafs MY'13 Leaf show off this afternoon, Tim Gallagher from Nissan made an announcement that soon, Nissan will be installing DCQC station at "a majority of Nissan dealers in the area"..

It was big news news four months ago when they announced at National Plug In Day that there would be 100 chargers in the SF area.

This is certainly news, but less of a splash than even four months ago.

DoxyLover said:
Big news!

At the South San Jose Nissan/Bayleafs MY'13 Leaf show off this afternoon, Tim Gallagher from Nissan made an announcement that soon, Nissan will be installing DCQC station at "a majority of Nissan dealers in the area". He also stated that he expects that most of them will be available 24/7 and without charge.

I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact time frame he stated, but I believe we are talking Q1 of this year!

The first one should be active this week--at North Bay Nissan in Petaluma. The intent is to have the majority of them up and running in the next two months.

gascant said:
DoxyLover said:
Big news!

The first one should be active this week--at North Bay Nissan in Petaluma. The intent is to have the majority of them up and running in the next two months.

Astounding!

And a brilliant move by Nissan. Not only do they increase the utility of their EV fleet, but also the perceived utility. On top of that, they'll be bringing Nissan customers (and advocates/ambassadors) into the dealerships. Some with passengers in tow. Reinforcing relationships, forging new ones, and ultimately, selling cars.

Definitely an example of private enterprise making something work.

The official announcement on this Nissan initiative should come this week, with all of the Nissan Dealers in the the major LEAF markets getting one. The majority will be in California, but Seattle will also have a few. This stuff takes time, but this is the fulfillment of the promise that Nissan made at NIPD in San Francisco last September. These chargers will all be free to any car with a CHAdeMO connector, and the goal is that all of these chargers will be available to the public on a 24/7 basis. One of the first one goes live at the Santa Rosa Ca. Nissan dealer this week.

OrientExpress said:
The official announcement on this Nissan initiative should come this week, with all of the Nissan Dealers in the the major LEAF markets getting one. The majority will be in California, but Seattle will also have a few. This stuff takes time, but this is the fulfillment of the promise that Nissan made at NIPD in San Francisco last September. These chargers will all be free to any car with a CHAdeMO connector, and the goal is that all of these chargers will be available to the public on a 24/7 basis. One of the first one goes live at the Santa Rosa Ca. Nissan dealer this week.
If the promise is fulfilled and the bolded part is true, that would be awesome news.

I and others spoke briefly to Tim about how some dealers would have their J1772 stations blocked off when the dealer was closed or refuse to provide charging/give a hard time to Leafers who didn't purchase their Leafs from that dealer, etc. We also brought up demand charges that a dealer might incur from using CHAdeMO. He said he believed there was funding for that but didn't know the specifics nor when that finding would/could run out.

cwerdna said:
OrientExpress said:
If the promise is fulfilled and the bolded part is true, that would be awesome news.
Just to set expectations correctly, Tim did say that NOT ALL will be available 24/7 for logistical reasons, but it was their goal to make the vast majority that way. Fortunately, the dealers' lots are open fairly long hours these days. With a little luck those that aren't initially 24/7 may become so down the road if the dealer is able to make some changes to their lot/gates. (just my idle speculation)

Plus there's the NRG stations that are coming...

Bill

Just to set expectations correctly, Tim did say that NOT ALL will be available 24/7 for logistical reasons, but it was their goal to make the vast majority that way. Fortunately, the dealers' lots are open fairly long hours these days. With a little luck those that aren't initially 24/7 may become so down the road if the dealer is able to make some changes to their lot/gates.

Which is what I said. The challenge in 24/7 access is simply carving out a place on a dealers lot that is outside of the space that has to be secured when the dealership is closed.

OrientExpress said:
Which is what I said. The challenge in 24/7 access is simply carving out a place on a dealers lot that is outside of the space that has to be secured when the dealership is closed.
sfbayleafsmnl

I'm as excited as anyone about these quick chargers, and don't want to cling onto words, but for the sake of honesty, this is what you said upthread. I think Bill merely pointed out that hopefully the vast majority of these chargers will end up being available 24/7. I believe that we all understand the difficulty around such a deployment.

OrientExpress said:
These chargers will all be free to any car with a CHAdeMO connector, and the goal is that all of these chargers will be available to the public on a 24/7 basis. One of the first one goes live at the Santa Rosa Ca. Nissan dealer this week.
It's good to see some movement in this area, and having these quick chargers deployed will be a major incentive to purchase a LEAF. Much like Tesla's super charger network is driving sales of their premium Model S trims.

OrientExpress said:
Just to set expectations correctly, Tim did say that NOT ALL will be available 24/7 for logistical reasons, but it was their goal to make the vast majority that way. Fortunately, the dealers' lots are open fairly long hours these days. With a little luck those that aren't initially 24/7 may become so down the road if the dealer is able to make some changes to their lot/gates.

Sorry, I read your words differently. Where you said "the goal is for them to be 24/7" I wanted folks where weren't there to know that Nissan has already said that some of them definitely won't be 24/7 when installed. Just adding emphasis, that's all. :D You know how folks can get worked up around here when their expectations aren't met. :lol:

surfingslovak said:
Electric4Me said:
You know how folks can get worked up around here when their expectations aren't met. :lol:
Indeed!

Expectations.... if these are indeed "free", and scattered everywhere, then it's most likely that even the Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM) crowd would happily drive their LEAFs to cash in on something free.

But, in the case of Santa Rosa Nissan, that already has a Blink, which LEAF driver will pay to use a Blink when there is a free Sumitomo unit sitting right there (heck, I can imagine fist fights over it).

Also, in Orange County, there is the Fuji charger directly across the street from the Nissan dealer. Assuming it gets a Sumitomo, then virtually nobody would use the Fuji.

That means those pay-for-use stations will fail. That also means there isn't much incentive to for other pay-for-use public chargers anywhere near a "free" one.

I'm sure that sits just fine for many, but I'll note that the NRG deal specifically has a $7 minimum charge JUST TO COUNTER THIS ISSUE.

FREE CHARGING IS THE DEATH OF PAY-FOR-USE CHARGING, AND WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL BOTH.

TonyWilliams said:
Expectations.... if these are indeed "free", and scattered everywhere, then it's most likely that even the Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM) crowd would happily drive their LEAFs to cash in on something free
Well, for me (and I suspect many), it'll come down to time, value, money. Do I want to spend the time to go to a "free", hopefully working, not-in-use CHAdeMO charger and wait there or not? Is there something/a lot to do around where that charger is? Do I have to remain on the dealer premises while using their free QC?

I doubt I'd do it just get a bit more range/juice for the hell of it. I'd only it use when I need to make a long trip that'd be tough/impossible w/o more juice.
TonyWilliams said:
FREE CHARGING IS THE DEATH OF PAY-FOR-USE CHARGING, AND WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL BOTH.
Hmmm, interesting prediction, but I fear you might be right. :( I never thought of it that way, until now.

TonyWilliams said:

Nah... This is just toe-in-the-water. Once it builds demand and spurs sales of EVs, there will be demand for far more power stations. Can't have station demand without EV sales. Need stations to create EV demand. Chicken and Egg. Nissan decided to supply some eggs.

Herm said:
I really doubt the dealers will do it for free..
sfbayleafsmnl

Let's wait for the official word. Personally, I would have hard time to believe that all dealers will provide free QC in perpetuity, but perhaps Nissan will choose to compensate them for that. This type of arrangement seems to be doable for Tesla with a proprietary plug and communications protocol. Additionally, the cost of quick charging is baked into the purchase price of the car in Tesla's case.

So far it's been a tough going, although there are more Blink QCs in the Bay Area now, which compensates for their spotty availability. The CharJit QC at Stanford has been great, but it costs $7 per session. The parent company seems to be have trouble issuing new cards, because it was recently acquired or went out of business.

surfingslovak said:
Herm said:
I really doubt the dealers will do it for free..
Let's wait for the official word. Personally, I would have hard time to believe that all dealers will provide free QC in perpetuity, but perhaps Nissan will choose to compensate them for that. This type of arrangement seems to be doable for Tesla with a proprietary plug..

Tesla is a completely different model. Nobody is making a competing pay-to-use Tesla charger anywhere, nor would it be smart for a business to do so. Nobody (well almost nobody) would use it. And that's EXACTLY what will happen to commercial CHAdeMO charging ventures anywhere near free ones.

Obviously I'm not referring to the grossly taxpayer subsidized models like Blink. Or the NRG deal, which essentially a tax payer subsidized deal (or else they would have just wrote the state a big fat check).

If Nissan wants to give dealers a charger, and subsidize the install, I think it's awesome. But I do want everybody to understand the ramifications of free transportation energy to the masses, and how that will play out in any competing for-profit charger ventures.

Back