San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Recommended Locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricVehicle

This thread is to discuss and reocommend good locations for Level 3 Quick Chargers (Nissan) / Level 3 Fast Chargers (CARB). Even the name for these changes depending on who you're talking with!

Things to consider in picking Quick Charge sites:

1. The should be in useful locations to facilitate longer distance travel or to serve apartment dwellers and EV rentals that don't have charging at home or the hotel, etc.
Longer distance travel means plagin them alojng transportation corridors, like major highways that connecct frequent destinations. Major cities are also reasonable locations, though if the city is your destination and your spending some hours there, 240V level 2 charging may suffice. So a Quick Charger in a major city may be on one or two major highways going through the city, but dozens of quick chargers in a single city would be a waste of the limited number of quick chargers that are coming in the next one (maybe 50 QC stations in all of CA) to 5 years (maybe a couple hundred QC stations).

With the 75 mile range of a LEAF at 65 MPH full charge, but presuming the last charge was a Quick Charge for a multiple charge hop trip, so 80% of 75 is 60 miles, further allowing a 15 mile reserve for battery pack degradation over time and slight battery imbalance, or just plain getting lost, leaves a usable 65 MPH Quick Charge to Quick Charge range of 45 miles.
So Quick chargers for multi-hop travel along transit corridors, like major highways should be spaced no more than 50 miles apart. Later, we may want more than one at a location or have them spaced 20 or 30 miles apart to allow for issues like a site being out of order, vandalized or in use by another EV driver.

2. The site must have 3 phase power available to support 50 kW high power requirement of a Quick Charger.

3. Quick Chargers are expensive to install and operate.
The Quick Charge units start at $10,000 and go up to $50,000. Installation, even at a site that already has 3 phase power is likely to exceed $10,000 and more typically $15,000 to $30,000. So your small neighborhood espresso stand won't have the power or funding to support a Quick Charger. Think more along the lines of major park and ride lots, major malls, large business installations that have large facilities and power budgets with plenty of 3 phase power. Demand energy charges for a quick charger, because of the high peak energy (50kW) used by a quick charger will cost around $500 to $1300 per month (Using typical demand charges of $10 to $25/kW peak load). kWh Energy costs during the day time for a single Nissan LEAF Quick Charge of roughly 18 kWh AC (from the grid - or solar) will run from $2.88 to $18. ($0.16/kWh to $1.00/kWh) Yes, that's $1/kWh, during peak demand electricity costs can hit or exceed $1/kWh in a commercial setting. San Diego Gas and Electric being one example of the higher rates.

So a Quick Charger will likely run in excess of $1,000 per month just for the energy charges. In areas with higher energy costs and including other cost factors - cost of capital, etc., the monthly cost is in the $2,000 to $4,000 range. I haven't looked up exact numbers for these figures and it will vary significantly for different sites, but think in terms of at least $1,000/ month and more like $2,000 or $3,000. Keep in mind that commercial establishments already subsidize vehicles to the tune of $200/month per vehicle or more to pay for the real estate and construction costs of the parking space.

4. Utilization of a single Quick Charger is finite.
If each charge takes 30 minutes + 5 minutes to swtich between cars, is 41 Quick charges per 24 hour day, assuming it is used all 24 hours. So a Qhuick Charger is an expensive piece of equipment that realistically - day time and evening hours - may only serve 10 to 20 vehicles a day, and at that level of usage, people will often being waiting for other peopple to finish charging. Less usage means you're spending a similar amount of money and capital but not serving that many people. (On the other hand, maybe we should run the ecoonomics of a gasoline pump which is very expensive but can serve 100-300 people per day, per pump.)

As we evaluate the feasibility of each site, we can try to estimate our usage of the site to help see what the economic case is, pick a general area, find a willing host and the funding to make it happen. With the costs involved, this may be just identifying good areas and passing that along to funded organizations for their consideration, like EcoTotality/EVProject/Blink, BAAQMD, interested Nissan dealers, West Coast Corridor Coalition etc.

Related MNL threads
San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner
How often would you use the Vacaville, CA Quick Charge?

And to start the list of San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Recommended Locations with some good starting points along major highways / destinations: (in Alphabetical order) This list includes some sites I've heard suggested by others - thanks for the ideas!

Auburn (or Colfax) (Phoenix)
Colfax (or Auburn) (Phoenix)
Gilroy (ElectricVehicle)
Monterey (ElectricVehicle)
Sacramento (ElectricVehicle)
Santa Rosa (ElectricVehicle)
San Francisco (Nissan Dealer may get one) (ElectricVehicle)
San Jose (Nissan Dealer may get one) (ElectricVehicle)
San Leandro (palmermd)
Vacaville (...everyone...!)
580/238/880 area (palmermd)

Los Gatos. Pleasanton/Livermore area. Tracy. Stockton/Lodi, Half Moon Bay. Novato. Salinas. (MaryC)

Pollock Pines http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (palmermd)

OrientExpress said:
Wherever they end up they should be no more than 60~80 miles apart.
Thanks. I was thinking that as I wrote the initial post, but didn't get it in. I just updated the initial post to include that and some of the thinking involved - like 80 miles is actually too far apart if your are doing a multi-hop Quick Charge trip, which is trips that are over roughly 150 miles (80 miles initial 100% charge + 60 miles from first 80% Quick Charge), depending on whether you are driving 55 or 65, etc.

I would also add Auburn or Colfax for folks heading up to Tahoe/Truckee (or somewhere midway between Sacramento & Tahoe).

Folks who live in those areas can also go the extra mile to identify likely locations within the parameters suggested by ElectricVehicle in the initial post.

As I have thought about this, it seems that clusters of chargers in a single location would be much more cost-effective than a single charger at each location. A charger station with four "nozzles" would have the same installation charge as one with a single connection. Only two cars would charge at a time, but as one car finishes charging, the next car plugged in can start charging. Combining it with a freeway close. easy-on easy-off shopping center would give you something to do during any time you are waiting to charge and the actual charging time.

Drivers will pay for convenience, but they will want convenience.

Phoenix said:
I would also add Auburn or Colfax for folks heading up to Tahoe/Truckee (or somewhere midway between Sacramento & Tahoe).

Folks who live in those areas can also go the extra mile to identify likely locations within the parameters suggested by ElectricVehicle in the initial post.

off topic, but I suggested Pollock Pines long ago. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On topic, I'd like to see something placed at the 580/238/880 area. This is a good location for those trying to reach destinations anywhere in the bay area from the central valley on 580. It also serves the folks traveling north/south along the east bay. San Leandro Nissan would be good because it is very close to the freeway offramp, but anywhere in this area would work quite well.

Aeolus said:
As I have thought about this, it seems that clusters of chargers in a single location would be much more cost-effective than a single charger at each location. A charger station with four "nozzles" would have the same installation charge as one with a single connection. Only two cars would charge at a time, but as one car finishes charging, the next car plugged in can start charging. Combining it with a freeway close. easy-on easy-off shopping center would give you something to do during any time you are waiting to charge and the actual charging time.

Drivers will pay for convenience, but they will want convenience.
The charger cost will be roughly proportional to the number of cars simultaneously charging. Keep in mind that each simultaneously charging Quick Charger adds between $500 to $1500 / month in demand energy charges to the sites operating costs. Cycling a single Quick Charger to charge cars in sequence on multiple J1772 plugs makes a lot of sense and doesn't add too much cost when you have people waiting for the Quick Charger. They can go somewhere for say 90 minutes and come back to find the Quick Charge has automatically cycled through and charged their car.

I agree with palmermd that it would be good to locate them near hwy crossroads, so to service many destinations. Me personnally would like to see them located:

Los Gatos. Pleasanton/Livermore area. Tracy. Stockton/Lodi, Half Moon Bay. Novato. Salinas.

At any QC "station" (location), there should also be 2 or 4 L2 (30A) stations, mainly for those who want to charge toward 100% after reaching 80% (or so, where the current drops off drastically).

Also, one "busted" QC (if that is all there is at the QC "station") would strand most folks trying to use it. What a pile of LEAFs that would be. Having extra QC's might be too expensive for now, but some L2's should be included, along with suitable parking spaces.

qcmap1.gif

How many 80% quick charges could you do per day without damaging/degrading the battery?

I would have thought once or maybe 2 times per day is probably the most one should perform a quick charge.....

I think the best locations for the driver are where there is some place to spend 30 minutes. That's perfect for eating places, coffee places, and shopping. The sales pitch to them to "host" a charger in their parking lot is that there will be folks who can afford new $35k cars sitting around for 30 minutes to buy their stuff. They don't have to provide anything except the parking spot.

But, realistically, there needs to be 2 to 3 parking spots, all within reach of the "nozzle", so that as soon as the charge is complete, and that driver isn't there to immediately move the car, the next driver can plug his car in.

I would not want to have L2's unless there was a way to limit the peak demand charge (4kW * $26 = $104 monthly in San Diego) plus the hourly electric cost (up to $1kWh) would be $4 per hour for 2011-2012 LEAFs, and $8 per hour for Focus EV, 2013 LEAF, Tesla, etc.

I would only approach gas stations as a last ditch effort to find a place, mostly because I don't want to hang around a gas station. Eeeeek !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANDBY-GENERATOR-60-kW-Guardian-Natural-Gas-/130426476144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?f=448245&m=206981&x=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You know, the whole demand charge thingie could pay for a 60-75KVA natural gas powered generator !!!

60KW KOHLER NATURAL GAS / PROPANE GENERATOR

-Model Number: 60RZ72
-Serial Number: 355226
-Spec: PA-187076-72L
-Standby Rated at 60 kw / 75 kva, 3 Phase @ 0.8 PF
-Currently Setup 277/480 Volt, 3 Phase
-12 Lead Reconnectable
-60 Hertz, 1800 RPM
-12 Battery Volts
-460 Ford V8 Natural Gas / Propane Engine
-Model Number: LSG-875I-6005-A
-Serial Number: 04786 A-05-RA
-Skid-Mounted, Radiator Cooled
-Weatherproof Enclosure
-Control Panel
-100 Amp Circuit Breaker
-Jacket Water Heater
-Alternator
-Battery Charger
-Barber Colman Electronic Governor
-Muffler (Mounted Outside Enclosure)
-646 Total Hours Since New
-Dimensions: 92"L x 35"W x 64"H
-LOAD BANK TESTED -- $12,500

Redwood City -
Belmont Sports Complex, 550 Island Parkway, Belmont, CA 94002 will be an ideal place for a Quick charger.
1) Easy access, Right off highway 101.
2) Parking lot almost empty during normal working hours.
3) Those who live in East/South Bay and like to leaf to SF airport could do a quick charge while returning.
4) Many high tech companies close by that dont have charging stations on campus.

teamveevee said:
Redwood City -
Belmont Sports Complex, 550 Island Parkway, Belmont, CA 94002 will be an ideal place for a Quick charger.
1) Easy access, Right off highway 101.
2) Parking lot almost empty during normal working hours.
3) Those who live in East/South Bay and like to leaf to SF airport could do a quick charge while returning.
4) Many high tech companies close by that dont have charging stations on campus.

Do you know what kind of access the parking lot has to electrical supply? (60 kW power requirement; 208v, 3-phase; or 480v DC?) How far from the panel to location of QC? Is the landlord friendly to such green development? Do you have a contact person? Let them know that there are 20 free QCs to be located in the 9 bay area counties through the EV Project plus some covered installation costs. Electrical power/loads and friendly landowners are the biggest stumbling blocks right now to QC installations. If these issues can be resolved, then Blink/EVProject/Ecotality or 350green.com needs to know that this may be a viable site.

In San Jose area there should be 3. One in downtown Los Gatos at the small park near the post office. It's at the edge of downtown and perfect place to park and wander for 30 min, and its very close to the hwy 17. One in downtown campbell somewhere, again, close to the HWY 880/280 and close to shopping. Another should be placed at Valley Fair or Oakridge malls locations.

As for Santa Cruz, the best three locations are at the Officemax/Petsmart parking lot, the Mall at 41st street, and over at the Safeway Parking lot off of 41st street.

Watsonville would be the next ideal location due to its proximity to the beach, there is a Target/ Staples Parking Lot that's close to hwy, and easy to spend 30 minutes at.

Farther south would be the Sand City Shopping center or the outdoor Mall in monterey.

On the 101s corridor the Target or Walmart store side off of 152 East exit and then another out in Los Banos.

Salinas over by the Home Depot.

As for up on the Penninsula, the shopping center by Ikea or Home Depot off of university plenty of Leaf Customers live here anyways.

Over by the SF airport somewhere, I'm thinking at the TanForan Mall which is right at 380 and el camino in San Bruno. This is a great location due to having Bart, and airport, easy HWY access, and a full shopping experience. You could build 3 here and they'd likely stay in use all day after a few months. Might need to advertise them a little.

In the City, I'd just avoid it if you can. But if you must, I'd consider 3 locations. Golden Gate Park, the Best Buy Parking lot next to 280, and at one of the parking lots near the Giants Stadium.

In the E Bay, 1 in Emeryvill near the mall.
One in Pleasanton at the Bart Station or at the mall.

Another in Livermore, and then in Fremont near the automall likely in front of the steakhouse.

Over in Milpitas Great mall would be another great location.

ElectricVehicle said:
This thread is to discuss and reocommend good locations for Level 3 Quick Chargers (Nissan) / Level 3 Fast Chargers (CARB). Even the name for these changes depending on who you're talking with!

Things to consider in picking Quick Charge sites:

1. The should be in useful locations to facilitate longer distance travel or to serve apartment dwellers and EV rentals that don't have charging at home or the hotel, etc.

Forget about apartment dwellers. People who have zero ability to charge at home should not be on the vanguard of the EV revolution. This is where the EV revolution should go last. It's too expensive and it creates unnecessary strain on the nascent EV charging infrastructure. Their time will come, but it should not be now, at the leading edge of the move away from ICEs.

Assuming people will only be willing to do one L3 charge per day, I envision a typical day trip as follows: Drive to destination on 100% initial charge, L2 charge at/in vicinity of destination for 1-8 hours to get you back home or to an appropriate L3 charger, return home making one L3 get-you-home charge to 80% if necessary. For a Leaf, that pretty much restricts day trips to about 75-100 mile radius given 'normal' driving with reasonable reserves; Obviously, people willing to put up with more inconvenience, use hypermiling methods or cut their margins very close can manage more.

L3 Chargers at/near one or both ends of the Bay's bridges, at major intersections that aren't primarily destinations, will keep the backups and emergencies to a minimum. I don't know whether there are facilites around most of these spots, but looking at a map they appear obvious places to have L3 chargers.

For people traveling between the Peninsula and Muir Woods/Mt. Tam/Stinson Beach, Pt. Reyes etc. via Highway 1, somewhere around Marin City (101/1) would be very useful.

For those traveling between the East Bay and S.P.Taylor S.P./Pt. Reyes/Olema/Pt. Reyes Sta./Inverness etc., or up the 101 corridor to Santa Rosa and beyond, one in San Rafael around the 3rd st. exit, for those traveling westward via Sir Francis Drake or Lucas Valley Road. There are fast food joints in the area.

Pt. Reyes Station is often a destination so needs Level 2 chargers, but it would also be a decent place for a L3 for those going up to Bodega Bay and points north along Hwy 1.

In the East Bay, I'd put one in Livermore around the 580/84 interchange, or else 1 mile east at Vasco road. This would cover people traveling between Stockton/Manteca/Modesto and the Bay Area, as well as those traveling Vasco between Brentwood/Discovery Bay/Oakley/Antioch and points west or south.

Assuming I was willing to make multiple stops for charging along the way, I'd also put L3s in Manteca (99/120) or Oakdale (120), Moccasin or Big Oak Flat or Groveland (120), and at Crane Flat in Yosemite. But I don't consider that a practical trip for current mass-market BEVs with their restricted ranges. We'll have to wait for more range or battery exchange.

Hayward (880/92) interchange. Plenty of restaurants and small malls in the area.

The SF-San Jose corridor is relatively well supplied with L2 chargers so I'd install L3 chargers there last, but San Mateo (101/92) and Palo Alto (101/84) are obvious.

In the East Bay, Newark-Union City (880/84) Richmond-El Cerrito (Cutting Blvd./I-80) and Pacheco (680/4) are no-brainers.

Dublin-Pleasanton (580/680) or San Ramon (680/Crow Canyon) are nice to haves, but not really necessary for people traveling the 680 corridor between S.J. and Concord. The same goes for Walnut Creek (680/24), although people who've gone to Mt. Diablo might appreciate having one there.

Putting an L3 charger in Vallejo (80/29) or 80/37) would be useful for people traveling between the bay and the Napa Valley, but the one in Richmond may make this one somewhat superfluous. I expect L2 chargers will be plentiful at wineries and restaurants in the Napa Valley itself.

Wherever there is an In-N-Out Burger, there should be an L-3 charger.

Their formula, which focuses on accessible offramps and freeway closeness spread along reasonable distances, is exactly what the L3 network should mimic.

Back