San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Grommet for your help. When the possibility of this trip came up late this afternoon, I called Gilroy Premium Outlet office to ask about their chargers. That's how I found out they were SemaCharge. The GPO lady said there was an hourly charge while plugged in now. When I looked into the SemaCharge website, it says "Free". So, not sure about fees and if a SemaCharge card is required currently. More calls tomorrow.

Edit/Update: Called SemaConnect the next morning and Grommet is correct, no card required yet!
Belmont QC and/or Stanford Shopping QC in conjunction will be great. Thanks again!

grommet said:
Belmont and San Ramon are both working and on the BlinkMap again, though it looks like the left connector at Belmont may have been broken again.

NOO!!!!

#1: If the red light is lit on the handle don't try to remove it. If you have to leave before the charge is done use the stop button on the touchscreen before trying to remove the plug.
#2: When removing the plug just push the release button (on top) and slowly pull the handle out. DO NOT PULL ON THE INSERT LEVER ON THE BOTTOM while trying to remove it. The lever on the bottom is only to engage the last ~1/4 inch when you first plug in. (Basically to "lock it into place".)

Fighting the lock (red light on) or fighting the insert lever seem like the ways it could get broken.

TEG said:
grommet said:
Belmont and San Ramon are both working and on the BlinkMap again, though it looks like the left connector at Belmont may have been broken again.
I think Ecotality should force us to watch an instructional video on how to use the equipment before they authorize our accounts to activate the quick chargers. (That is, assuming that some day in the far distant future Ecotality finally does manage to install even one quick charger down here, grumble grumble, you guys are lucky to have even your often broken stations :)

The have an instructional video on the big screen right on the charging station!
(But I saw an Ecotality rep shake his head as he watched that video and said "it isn't very informative, is it?")

Perhaps they should redo the video and include more specific use of the "nozzle" including things not to do?
Well, I think they plan to retrofit with better plugs someday.

What's so hard about adding one sticker right on the top of the nozzle, that says:

To stop/remove: Press STOP button on screen FIRST. Then, pull nozzle out. Do not pull lower lever. Lower lever used for insertion ONLY.

Or whatever phrase properly instructs folks how to use the nozzle for insertion and removal.

Phoenix said:
What's so hard about adding one sticker right on the top of the nozzle, that says:

To stop/remove: Press STOP button on screen FIRST. Then, pull nozzle out. Do not pull lower lever. Lower lever used for insertion ONLY.

Or whatever phrase properly instructs folks how to use the nozzle for insertion and removal.
All these comments about needing instructional notes and videos of how to use a plug without breaking it sure seem to say that this is a screwed-up design.

Forget the notes, fix the design. As others have said, this connector is dreadful.

Yep, this is why there are other manufacturers of CHAdeMO connectors. :) Even our friends at Yazaki will be replacing their design by March of next year... and it looks to be much improved. If CHAdeMO survives in this market, hopefully their original connector will be a faint memory.

Both San Ramon QC chargers were down today when I dropped by. The one on the right looked like it was operational but would not respond to my Blink card. My card worked on the L2 charger right next to it so my card was not the issue. This seems to be a frequent state of affairs over the past two months at the San Ramon Blink QC chargers.

That seems to be the most common failure mode: The system is up, but it is unable to read the RFID cards to get you past the first screen. They know about it and are trying to fix it, but meanwhile...

Hey PlugShare now shows that there is an active (Blink) DC charger available at Nissan Santa Rosa, though its not on the Blink map. Has anyone checked this out yet?

Here's hoping the San Romon quick charger is working tomorrow! I'm goin to be doing over 300 miles of driving this weekend! :D

My "flight plan" assumes it won't be available, but if it is, my drive home will be much faster.

Jeremy

peter said:
Hey PlugShare now shows that there is an active (Blink) DC charger available at Nissan Santa Rosa, though its not on the Blink map. Has anyone checked this out yet?
Santa Rosa should be coming up! Talked to the Blink Man yesterday and he said they were commissioning it. Many of the Blink DC Quick Chargers are not on the BlinkMap at the moment, they removed them while they are making improvements.

Take care not to drop the connectors on the ground. They last longer when treated gently. :)

"Santa Rosa should be coming up! Talked to the Blink Man yesterday and he said they were commissioning it. Many of the Blink DC Quick Chargers are not on the BlinkMap at the moment, they removed them while they are making improvements."

Are there other bay area blink DCQCs besides Santa Rosa that are not yet on the map? And who's the 'blink man'?

leafenvy said:
"Santa Rosa should be coming up! Talked to the Blink Man yesterday and he said they were commissioning it. Many of the Blink DC Quick Chargers are not on the BlinkMap at the moment, they removed them while they are making improvements."

Are there other bay area blink DCQCs besides Santa Rosa that are not yet on the map? And who's the 'blink man'?
The Blink Man is Jason of ECOTality. Currently, for Blink, there is Belmont, Santa Rosa and San Ramon. 8 more sites are under contract and we should see many of those online in the September time frame.

350Green has the DCQC at Stanford Mall. 350Green has 6 -12 other sites that are supposed to come online by the end of the year, but I haven't gotten a recent status update on those.

JeremyW said:
Here's hoping the San Romon quick charger is working tomorrow! I'm goin to be doing over 300 miles of driving this weekend! :D

My "flight plan" assumes it won't be available, but if it is, my drive home will be much faster.

Jeremy

I charged successfully last night in San Ramon. Both plugs appear to be in working order.

ElectricVehicle said:
leafenvy said:

The Blink Man is Jason of ECOTality. Currently, for Blink, there is Belmont, Santa Rosa and San Ramon. 8 more sites are under contract and we should see many of those online in the September time frame.

350Green has the DCQC at Stanford Mall. 350Green has 6 -12 other sites that are supposed to come online by the end of the year, but I haven't gotten a recent status update on those.

That's great news! :D I will believe it when I see it after everything that has been promised and not delivered though. Of course, the stations also need to be operational a vast majority of the time in order to do anyone any good. :?:

Back